C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

K&N Performance Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' BMW M3 E90
K&N Performance Air Filters?

Does anyone know when K&N will come out with a filter for the C230K? I tried to E-Mail them but couldn't get through. Has anyone E-Mailed them about this Information got a reply from K&N..

Also is there another company that makes performance air filters for this car other than K&N? Like any known companies in Europe. I am asking because my parents are heading to Germany in May 26 for a week before they go to Turkey and i wan't them to bring me couple of things for my C230 while they are there.. Is there anything i should ask for them to bring me that they don't have in Canada or in U.S at the moment for my car?? They said Nothing toooo big though.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:05 PM

M3
I posted the answer to this already.

The C230K uses the same air filter as the SLK 230.

Just buy the K&N Filter for the SLK 230 and you're in business.

I also called Mercedes Parts to check if the part numbers were the same and they were.

Give it a try...it's cheap...less than $40 I believe.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:16 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Would there be any benefit in using a K&N air filter with this car?
Old 04-18-2002, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
As far as performance gains they will be minimal at best. 3-7 hp maybe, but with all the other cars i have had that i used a K&N filter on throttle response has improved greatly. I will get one soon. I have never tried a K&N on a forced air induction engine so the hp increase might be more. but it wont hurt it though
Old 04-18-2002, 04:48 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Yes, I imagine the K&N wouldn't hurt. Does anyone have any thoughts on using one with a supercharger specifically?
Old 04-18-2002, 05:26 PM

M3
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
As far as performance gains they will be minimal at best. 3-7 hp maybe, but with all the other cars i have had that i used a K&N filter on throttle response has improved greatly. I will get one soon. I have never tried a K&N on a forced air induction engine so the hp increase might be more. but it wont hurt it though
There is NO WAY the filter would yield 3-7 HP. That is not considered "minimal" horsepower gains. 3-7hp are SOLID gains.

I would expect about 1 HP MAX with the K&N filter. The usual rule of thumb is $100 for 1HP at the wheels.

So the K&N filter is more than worth it. Plus, it never needs to be replaced which is a cost savings.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:48 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
don't tell the pulley manufactures that.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
filters

what filters come with the K&N pack and where do i put them and how many come. and also since i dont need to replace them when or how often do i clean it?
thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sdcaclint
don't tell the pulley manufactures that.
Many of the pulley kits come with special air filters (Wetteraur, RennTech and Vaeth for sure). If you have a coupe and want a free K&N filter get the Vaeth pulley. My car has 8,000 miles on it and the filter looks grungy in areas. Surprisingly there's a bunch of sand in the housing. It's a pain to get to. You'll need a long torx screwdriver and make sure you get each and every screw off. Don't drop a screw because it's hell to get anything out of there. This is that German engineering you pay dearly for. On other cars it's usually just a clip you snap off.

K&N claims their filters last a million miles and you should clean them every 50k miles. Vaeth recommends that you clean it every 10k miles. The cleaning kits are about $10 and good for 2 cleanings. It takes a day to do as you have to clean it, let it completely dry and then oil it. It's rather messy so wear disposable gloves. Keep the old air filter so you can still drive the car that day.

As far as performance, I've done 3 cars with K&N. A Suburban and a Mustang had a slight but noticible improvement. On a Toyota MR2 I didn't notice anything.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:02 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i have had a K&N on my last 2 cars. i didn't ever notice any improvement, but like the reusable element. my g/f has the complete K&N intake system, that connects to her throttle body on her suburban. you can really hear it sucking the air at full throttle. it makes the engine sound real throaty. i never drove the vehicle without the filter charger system, but the previous owner that we bought it from, claimed it made a noticeable improvement. i think the real benefit is in the less restrictive intake piping. if you are going to simply drop a filter in the stock airbox, i don't think you will have a seat of the pants improvement. at least i didn't in my last two toyota trucks.