C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Shifter issues; Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C-230
Shifter issues; Limp Mode

I have been trying to sort out an array of issues in my C230 for about 6 months now. It starts and drives but, in limp mode (Reverse, Neutral, 1st). I am now (new code) getting P240C code "Selector lever position from N15/5 ESM via CAN implausible". That seems like an adjustment issue. The ESM module itself inside the shifter has slots where the two screws mount it to the shifter which would indicate it is made to adjust. I have searched the internet and this forum but, come up empty.

Is there an adjustment procedure for the ESM module?

A couple of quick facts. There is no (and never was when the car drove fine) a PRND display in the LCD. The indicator on the left of the shifter seems to correctly indicate the shift lever position. Ground and power are good going into ESM and there is voltage in the data wires. But, I get a "Fault in communication" error code for the ESM module with my code reader. I have changed the shifter with another used one.