C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Infant car seat in the middle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55, Black on Black
Infant car seat in the middle?

My wife and I just had our first child (baby girl), and we have a base for a child seat in both her car and my c320 sedan. Right now the base is in the middle of the rear seat of her QX4, and I know that is the safest spot for the seat. However, some manufacturers do not recommend putting the child safety seat in the middle rear seat due to dangers such as armrests and things. I know MB has the LATCH system for the left and right rear seats, but no LATCH system for the middle seat. There is a belt there, I think.

Does anyone know if MB recommends placing the seat in the middle? The brochure says nothing about this issue.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Infant car seat in the middle?

Originally posted by r_liebo
My wife and I just had our first child (baby girl), and we have a base for a child seat in both her car and my c320 sedan. Right now the base is in the middle of the rear seat of her QX4, and I know that is the safest spot for the seat. However, some manufacturers do not recommend putting the child safety seat in the middle rear seat due to dangers such as armrests and things. I know MB has the LATCH system for the left and right rear seats, but no LATCH system for the middle seat. There is a belt there, I think.

Does anyone know if MB recommends placing the seat in the middle? The brochure says nothing about this issue.
The C sedan does indeed have the LATCH system for the middle back seat.

Congrats on your new daughter. She'll grow up quicker than you think. My daughter will be 2 in August.

I have always put the baby seat on one side (not in the middle) behind the passenger seat. The space is so small in the back of the C class, so it did not fit very well in the middle. At least, not without me putting the drivers seat forward. Plus, it's easier on the back getting the infant seat in and out if it's on one side. It's amazing how heavy those little things can be. But if you can fit it in the middle, and don't mind the lifting, it is the safest spot.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 E500
FYI-

My daughter (going on 2 1/2) has always sat i the middle of my 2001 C-Class and our 2002 ML320. Both cars provide a center LATCH system and seem to fit very well (even with all the contours, etc.) However, one thing I did do was purchase a seat protector which is a heavy 1/2" rubber mat that fits below the seat. This actually helped to stabilize the seat and allowed a more secure fit.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by HumblePie
FYI-

My daughter (going on 2 1/2) has always sat i the middle of my 2001 C-Class and our 2002 ML320. Both cars provide a center LATCH system and seem to fit very well (even with all the contours, etc.) However, one thing I did do was purchase a seat protector which is a heavy 1/2" rubber mat that fits below the seat. This actually helped to stabilize the seat and allowed a more secure fit.
yes. I also have one of these. It has some pockets for toys, and is great for catching crumbs. I don't (normally) feed my daughter in the car, but she can have crumbs on her from a snack earlier that can somehow find it's way onto the seats.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
Humble Pie,
Where did you find that seat protector, I have been looking for one that is a little thicker than paper and so far not much luck.
TIA
Old 06-15-2004, 07:58 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
I have been using shelf-liner as a seat protector in all our cars. It provides a very secure non-stick surface for the car seat, as well as protecting the leather seats. I use more than one layer where the baby seat leaves marks - you'll see quickly where the pressure points are.

Our seats are in the middle in the ML, and on the passenger side in the Coupe. I can rock the ML by the baby seat - that is in no small part thanks to the shelf liner. I bought the shelf liner in the colour that matches the interior the best, so it looks ok too.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by dmichael
Humble Pie,
Where did you find that seat protector, I have been looking for one that is a little thicker than paper and so far not much luck.
TIA
My wife bought ours at Wal-Mart. It's a pretty think rubber like material, so it should protect your seat from the sharp edges on the seat base, plus any spills from the seat (provided they are not "projectile" type spills ).