C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

AGM or flooded?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C230K
AGM or flooded?

I need to get a new battery for my 02 C230. I've been looking at buying an XS Power D4900 for $350. I currently have a Super Start from ORiellys that is dead and has a manufacture date sticker of 1/16. I had AAA check it today and it was only putting out 500 CCAs when it is rated for almost 900. I don't drive this car much at all and the last time I started it was less than a month ago and it fired right up. I have had many problems with the battery going dead and have no idea why. Barring if I have any warr left on the battery, I might not need to buy another but if I don't have warr then a new one is a must.

Do I get another cheap battery or go with an expensive AGM type that will also work for my upgraded stereo plans? Are CCAs really that important? I live in N Cali so we hardly get freezing temps here but it does happen. The AGM batt I'm looking at is over 1k CA but it does not list CCA.

Do you guys use AGM batts? I've never used one myself but have seen them used in audio specific setups and they seem to work fine getting those guys around to shows in the midwest where its cold as ****. I tend to buy a little more expensive as to not get pure junk cause you get what you pay for in most cases.

So should I spend a little more coin on a batt that will give me longer life and work for my stereo plans or just get a cheapy? Also will my alternator charge an AGM correctly? I've seen these AGM batts in many vehicles before but not a merc.