C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Intro and a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e46 BMW
Intro and a few questions

Greetings, MBWorld.
I just picked up a vehicle that is no stranger to this forum, Cintoman's C230.
First impressions are that we're THRILLED with it.

Couple of questions in an effort to make the car PERFECT.

1. Headlight washer nozzles were missing, 1 per side (Paul made this clear). I saw a youtube video where you can detach the nozzle portion. Paul included a replacement with the suggestion of using it for donor nozzles. I just swapped one side with the replacement nozzle and took a donor from the original and swapped it into the other side. I noticed that the plastic flexes/is cracked where the nozzle is missing. Interesting, I see many of the second-hand options on eBay with the same ailment. Will this cause them to fail? Can I pick up an aftermarket option to make this "perfect"? What experience do folks have with this.

2. The rear shade stutters when going down. Again, Paul pointed this out to us. Will some lubricant remedy this situation? If so, where should I apply it and what type of lubricant should I use. I have bicycle chain lubricant, goes on wet, dries with some residual super-lube that is supposed to be weather tolerant. Would this be a good option? I have a number of other options, too.

3. The steering wheel leather shows some wear. I've read about getting these reupholstered. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is there an alternate solution? Would a simple leather conditioner give us back most of the vitality and feel?

4. Paul suggested that we think about rear shocks in the near future. Ride feels pretty good with no "clunking", per se. I like the preventative disposition, so I'm thinking that this might be a good spring/summer task. What rear shocks do folks recommend for the sport suspension? I've read conflicting advice re: sport-specific versus non-sport and some seem to advocate for Bilstein while others suggest Sachs/Boge and I know Koni is another option. If Bilstein, B6 or B8? Not interested in making the vehicle any lower, but we're coming from BMW e46 background so we appreciate a stiff/stout feel. I'd love whatever advice folks can offer on this, too.

Looking forward to getting to know this community...Paul RAVES about you folks....and looking forward to many years of happy and safe driving.