C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Potential New Owner with a few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Potential New Owner with a few Questions

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few of months now as I’m considering purchasing a 2005 C230 Sports Sedan. First I’ve got to say this is a great forum. Because of this forum I knew more about the 05 C-Class than the dealer did. Now on to business. I test drove the car yesterday and came away very impressed. I do have two questions that I hope some of the current owners of an 05 might answer. The questions are as follows:

1) When the dealer first started the car for me to test drive, the car sounded a little like a lawn mower. After I drove the car for a few minutes, I pulled over to listen to the car and it sounded fine. It seems like the engine needed to be warmed up. Is this sound normal upon first starting a C230 and does it go away when the car is warmed up? I have no problem if this is the case, I just want to know what to expect.

2) The dealer said he was having a hard time finding a car with the entertainment package. I listened to the stock stereo and it seemed okay (I haven’t listened with a CD yet). For people who got the stock stereo, how do you like it? Also is that a sub-woofer on the top of the dashboard?

3) Are there any pictures of what the side head curtain airbags look like when they’re deployed? There was a tiny picture in the 2004 C-Class brochure, but it wasn’t very clear. The MBUSA web site either shows pictures of the E-Class side curtain airbags or just some animated pictures.

Any response would be greatly appreciated as it will help with my purchasing decision. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Leif Wennerstrom
Old 06-21-2004, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 325i
Welcome aboard

1. Mine still does it after 2 years
2. Stock stereo with CD changer sucks... I probably should have gotten the sound upgrade

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
my thoughts

I've had the pleasure to test driving a lot of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 230s and 240s. I personally like the 240s because they have a 6 cylinder engine, which I currently have owned since 2001. To me, the 230's 4 cylinder engine sounds louder and the shifting wasn’t nice in the automatic. It reminded me a lot like a Japanese car. If you are going to pay a lot for a car, then you should get something for your money. Every time I started a 230, it did indeed sound like a lawnmower. Loud and cheap.

As for the stock radio, they upgraded it from the Bose stereo I have. From what I heard, and I like to get down and groove in my car when I’m going 90 mpg, it sounds pretty nice. You could always, if you found that you didn’t like the way it sounded in the future, get a couple of upgraded non Mercedes Benz speakers installed that sound a lot better then stock speakers.

I’ve found that the MBUSA website does not really have a lot of in-depth pictures. As for your airbag pics, my owner’s manual had a few of them. Maybe the next time you are at the dealer, ask to see an owner’s manual from the car you like.

If you are a speed demon and love to step on the pedal, I would go with a 230. It gets a little bit more gas mileage then the 240 and a little over a second more acceleration. The ride on the other hand, like I said earlier, is another story. I went with my C-class Benz back in 2000 before the new body style came to the United States and have been a fan ever since.

Sincerely,
James Sell
Old 06-21-2004, 04:49 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Re: my thoughts

Originally posted by nicedeboy
I've had the pleasure to test driving a lot of 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 230s and 240s. I personally like the 240s because they have a 6 cylinder engine, which I currently have owned since 2001. To me, the 230's 4 cylinder engine sounds louder and the shifting wasn’t nice in the automatic. It reminded me a lot like a Japanese car. If you are going to pay a lot for a car, then you should get something for your money. Every time I started a 230, it did indeed sound like a lawnmower. Loud and cheap.
Any 4-cylinder car, whether manufactured by Honda or Mercedes, will have a high-pitched rev. That's just the nature of 4-bangers.

As for the start-up engine noise, the reasons have been stated as several different things, from the fuel pump to the cold internals. Whatever it is, it seems to be broadly normal and nothing to worry about.

Either you can go with the Bose system (sounds nice in the C-sedans I've heard), or if you're willing to go aftermarket, I'd recommend a serious look at these guys: http://www.reusaudio.com/ . Their site doesn't have much, but I've seen there demonstration cars at the LA Auto Show 2 years running, and I've been blown away both times. Talking to the owner at the show, he told me that the Merc C sedans are among the best sound spaces to work with. After listening to their demo car, I must agree.

If I remember correctly, the airbags deploy from bottom to top, starting from the door panel. I'm pretty confident that they provide adequate cover to protect from any intrusions from glass or otherwise.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks all.

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the input. I'm going to try and do a deal on a new C230 in the next week or two. The responses have been helpful.

Sincerely,
Leif Wennerstrom
Old 06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Seriously....what is that big thing right in the center of the dash?!?!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Brunelleschi
Seriously....what is that big thing right in the center of the dash?!?!
1) Location of the BOSE center channel speaker.
2) Vent that on some earlier models had a control wheel.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Re: Potential New Owner with a few Questions

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few of months now as I’m considering purchasing a 2005 C230 Sports Sedan. First I’ve got to say this is a great forum. Because of this forum I knew more about the 05 C-Class than the dealer did. Now on to business. I test drove the car yesterday and came away very impressed. I do have two questions that I hope some of the current owners of an 05 might answer. The questions are as follows:

1) When the dealer first started the car for me to test drive, the car sounded a little like a lawn mower. After I drove the car for a few minutes, I pulled over to listen to the car and it sounded fine. It seems like the engine needed to be warmed up. Is this sound normal upon first starting a C230 and does it go away when the car is warmed up? I have no problem if this is the case, I just want to know what to expect. should have heard the old 2.3L engines, that was a lawn mower sound!

2) The dealer said he was having a hard time finding a car with the entertainment package. I listened to the stock stereo and it seemed okay (I haven’t listened with a CD yet). For people who got the stock stereo, how do you like it? Also is that a sub-woofer on the top of the dashboard? subs in the trunk passenger side

3) Are there any pictures of what the side head curtain airbags look like when they’re deployed? There was a tiny picture in the 2004 C-Class brochure, but it wasn’t very clear. The MBUSA web site either shows pictures of the E-Class side curtain airbags or just some animated pictures.mbusa.com will have some pics, not sure if mbspy.com does but check it out as well. both are great sites for info. check em out

btw, welcome to the forum and good luck on your purchase!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Sound at startup I believe is the emmissions crap all working to make the engine pass initial startup emmisions testing. Almost all newer cars do this somewhat. I have had the 1.8L engine for over a year and 22000+ miles and it still runs great and the sound is still there briefly on startup. No issues, it has to do with emmissions and the feeding of exhaust gases back into the intake for proper warmup as far as I can tell.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Guest0001

I just want to say Welcome first of all.

I can answer question 2 for you. The upgrade to the premium sound is a little better but the quality is still average. If you are going to get an aftermarket radio then dont get the entertainment pkg. But if you dont plan on doing so then I would definitely get the bose because the stock sound is very depressing.

Goodluck with your car buying and post some pics when you get it!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bose has been replaced by Harmon/Kardon in the 2005 W203's.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
Like I said earlier, if you were reading the replies. LOL
Old 06-22-2004, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by nicedeboy
Like I said earlier, if you were reading the replies. LOL
did read the replies, i was just stating what Bose was replaced with. plus the stock radio isnt Bose. Bose was the premium sound upgrade from the stock unit for 2001 - 2004 W203's.

As for the stock radio, they upgraded it from the Bose stereo I have. From what I heard, and I like to get down and groove in my car when I’m going 90 mpg, it sounds pretty nice. You could always, if you found that you didn’t like the way it sounded in the future, get a couple of upgraded non Mercedes Benz speakers installed that sound a lot better then stock speakers.

Last edited by CitronC230K_03; 06-22-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
-

whatever LOL
Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 AM

Recently bought an 05 c230k sedan (6 spd)

I wanted to address some of your questions since I recently bought the car that interests you. Regarding #1 my car is throaty sounding all of the time. I notice it more at lower speeds but I personally like the sound.

The sound system for the 05 models is now made by Harman Kardon. The 04 models used Bose. I have the stock version with the changer and it sounds pretty good. I used to drive an 03 maxima with the Bose setup (including subwoofer) and this is about the same. But the Mercedes setup sounds crisper with smoothing sounding bass. If you can get the upgrade you might as well. The cost isn't that bad. Oh and the center speaker is only used in the upgraded system.

As for the airbags I think someone else addressed that with web sites and so on.

My only complaint at this point about the car is that it lacks power. The maxima I drove previously had 255 HP and in 6 speed form did 0-60 in 6 seconds flat. The Mercedes does it in about 7.2 (manual trans). It was for this reason I bought the 6 speed and not an automatic. I also plan on doing some performance upgrades down the road. But other than that I love the car. It’s super sporty, rides low and handles extremely well, and has the feel of a luxury car. It doesn't have the squeaks and rattles found in most Japanese cars. The 05 models have a new dash and center console plus an aluminum trim not found in the 04 models. It’s well laid out and very easy to read at night.

Oh and regarding the comment about the C240. That car has the lowest HP of the group (160 something). While it is a V-6 it’s a tiny one at best. I'd take my car over that any day.

Bottom line is that you're getting one heck of car for 30k plus options. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
haha

One heck of a loud annoying car that does not shift smoothly and sounds like a lawn mower.

Love reading the same comments from people who responded earlier. LOL
Old 06-23-2004, 08:11 PM

Thanks coryliv

coryliv,

Thanks for the input. Yours and everyone else who responded have been very helpful. I going to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully finalize the deal. Wish me luck.

Sincerely,
Leif Wennerstrom
Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Guest0001

Let us know what happens! Glad to be of help
Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 PM

C320 Coupe
Even the V6's are a little noisy when first started, but they quiet down in a minute or so. I've always called it normal as the engine is very smooth.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
My engine has no loud noice and starts up quiet from day one. I've had it for alittle over 3.5 years now. Runs nice, drives fast, and have no issues.