C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

O.K A Weird Thing Just Happened With ESP OFF....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' BMW M3 E90
Exclamation O.K A Weird Thing Just Happened With ESP OFF....

Hi guy's.. I just came home with the benz( C230) and a weird thing just happened. I was taking a left hand turn with the ESP Off. I just gave little too much gas around the corner. The tires span a little then the engine just gave up on me. The car was still running and my foot was still on the gas pedal and nothing happened. The car just stopped.

The Scary part was there were lot of car's coming my way so i had to move pretty fast. So i let go off the gas pedal and step on it again then the car started to move. What gives with that. Why did the car just died on me like that. First time it ever happened.

Noticed one thing though. The ESP was flashing when the car died. My foot was still on the gas pedal but NO GO.. I let my foot off the gas pedal then pressed it againg and the car moved. Has this happened to anyone else???
Old 04-23-2002, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
if i remember correctly MBtech said, that traction control, and stability control are all tied in together. So it more than likely wasnt the spinning but the car loosing traction and the computer saw it as a "fish-tail" and cut power and applied the brakes to straighten the car out. I have been making a right hand turn and spun the tires ever so slightly and nothing happens but then if they spin a little more the ecu cuts the power.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
it must have think you spun out.
even if you turn off the ESP the program will still intervine when it thinks you are in trouble.

i just had mine on all the time...don't like the yellow triangle on the dash its annoying
Old 04-23-2002, 11:30 PM

M3
This happened TWICE to my GF's car when I was driving it.

Both times it was when I made the mother of all hard turns (just fooling around) and the car shut off.

Never figured out why though.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
if i remember correctly MBtech said, that traction control, and stability control are all tied in together. So it more than likely wasnt the spinning but the car loosing traction and the computer saw it as a "fish-tail" and cut power and applied the brakes to straighten the car out. I have been making a right hand turn and spun the tires ever so slightly and nothing happens but then if they spin a little more the ecu cuts the power.

Hi TimmyC230boy, If the ecu cut's the power to the engine when your trying to merge in to a heavy traffic and your car dies wouldn't that be really dangerous? Because that's what almost happened to me. I tried getting in to on coming traffic by stepping on the gas a little and the engine just cut off, it wasn't pleasent.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
ESP

I believe that switching off the ESP only disables the "brakes" portion of the function; the "retard ignition timing" portion of the ESP function remains active.

So, by disabling the ESP braking function and hammering it around a corner, the ESP sensed big wheel slip and retarded the timing until the slippage stopped. I imagine that in extreme cases this could even cause the engine to stall (though you might think the programming would stop it short of that - what with loss of power steering/brakes, etc...).

Nonetheless, I think this behaviour is entirely normal.

If you want to completely disable ESP, you'll need to go into Dyno mode (see "smoky burnouts" thread in Tech forum).
Old 04-24-2002, 03:54 PM
Almost a Member!

C270CDI Avantgarde 2001 Sedan AMG rims and skirts
This is interesting. I drive the car a lot with ESP off. This winter I tried it on a carpark covered with snow. With ESP off I could make donut, do slides etc. ESP didn't do anything.
Could there be a difference between US and Europe ESP setups?

Mark