C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clear Lenses From Autodynamics SUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by MB-BOB
IMO, this fixation on silver bulbs that burn amber is a bit too ****... even for me. You can buy whatever you want of course, but I really don't think anyone will notice, unless you point it out. Otherwise you will be the only person who knows for sure that you spent nearly as much for the bulbs as the lenses.

Not really ranting, here. Rambling towards 1000, maybe...
we all use 2-3 different wash buckets on our car, some of us Zaino it for 3 days straight to get the right shine, others spend 4 grand on wheels, we are on the verge of creating a FLOORING FAQ....

its all in the details, silver bulbs at 30 bucks a pair doesnt seem so outlandish for something i wash 2 times a week and wax once a month
Old 04-25-2002, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by greg230
we are on the verge of creating a FLOORING FAQ....
not gonna happen... must resist...

IMO, this fixation on silver bulbs that burn amber is a bit too ****... even for me.
actually, we all seem to have our peccadillos. mb-bob's = weights of wheels and glass and don't get him started on the compass thing in the ashtray

Last edited by young; 04-25-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:59 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by young

actually, we all seem to have our peccadillos. mb-bob's = weights of wheels and glass and don't get him started on the compass thing in the ashtray
i had almost forgotten about the ashtray incident.... even a great board like this has its dark moments. How many pages did that one go???
Old 04-25-2002, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Would the European clear lenses fit on the C230?? My parent's are off to gearmany end of May. If i asked them to bring me lenses from there would it fit better then the Autodaynamics ones???
Old 04-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: MB-BOB

Originally posted by timorgan
Please take pictures of your sedan with the new lights!

Thanks,

Tim
I will take some pictures. My only problem is that I'm not a digital camera kinda guy (not yet). So, I have to expose a roll of real film and then take it to Walgreens and get a CD made. It just takes time.

995/1000
Old 04-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by young
Point made. But please give me some credit... I did say "****... even for me."

BTW, I superglued a .060" thick piece of styrene into the front prongs of my lens mount (driver's side) and .040" on the passenger side, and they snap in securelyand no longer move around.

And let's not be too harsh on that compass in the ashtray deal. At least it was a unique thread. Not the 74th revisit of "to HID or not HID?"

996/1000
Old 04-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
pics

here are pics i took of them on mine but now there off and sent back to autodynamic for a new set but i did take a pic of them while they were on u cant tell form the pics that its not a good fit though but in person it was bad so i cant wait to get the new pair already. i dont like seeing the clear on my car then going to look at my car right now with the ugly amber lenses.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
one more
Old 04-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
996/1000
Is there a way to just give you four of mine? Actually, if you respond to this one, that'll only be three to go. Or, if you "accidentally" hit the "submit reply" three extra times, you'll be there.

Oh, anyone else watching "The Bachelor" now? He's going to pick the cow instead of the dancer so that he seems more intellectual, at least that's my guess. It's fun watching bad tv while half in the bag from free ****tails at a company event.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by tommy

Oh, anyone else watching "The Bachelor" now? He's going to pick the cow instead of the dancer so that he seems more intellectual, at least that's my guess. It's fun watching bad tv while half in the bag from free ****tails at a company event.
Of course, you watch bad TV that ruins any chance of romance. figures...:p
Old 04-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by tommy
Is there a way to just give you four of mine? Actually, if you respond to this one, that'll only be three to go. Or, if you "accidentally" hit the "submit reply" three extra times, you'll be there.
1) You're actually watching "the Bachelor?" I agree with you, GG.
2) At least I'm pitching for fanatic status here in Dallas TX, instead of "exciting Clifton, New Jersey." Oh, wait. That explains #1. Nevermind.

998/1000
Old 04-25-2002, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BlackC230Coupe - the lenses look pretty sweet on your black car... i can't wait to see what it looks like on a white car...

and i must admit, i did watch the bachelor coz i had money on the finalists...and i must admit.. i am am $25 richer right now hehehe... i had my money on her from the get go....
Old 04-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Fuzzo
BlackC230Coupe - the lenses look pretty sweet on your black car... i can't wait to see what it looks like on a white car...

and i must admit, i did watch the bachelor coz i had money on the finalists...and i must admit.. i am am $25 richer right now hehehe... i had my money on her from the get go....
thanks.. i though they looked good to but i keep getting mad everytime i see the pics. and keep thinking i dont have them on my car right now. i hope autodynamic will send the replacemet ones quicker than the first pair.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:22 AM

C230K
do you have a full picture of your car. how much were those? i think i may want to do that to mine. that looks good.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Lightbulb an idea

Why not supplant the North American bumper insert entirely, using the light-less European market bumper inserts? Certainly it's not legal, but neither is having a white reflector!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:35 AM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
My passenger side fits fine but the drivers side is flopping around like crazy. They look exactly(sizewise) alike when I hold them together. BlackC230, if you send your lenses back for replacements, aren't you going to get exactly the same product back? No offense, but if you are not happy with the fit, what makes you think they have a set that is different(better) and will fit correctly. I mean, I would assume that all of their stock is exactly the same. I think the holes in the bumper inserts vary just enough to make autodynamics lenses not fit in some cases and fit in other cases. The OEM seems to be slightly larger so they are not affected by the variances in the bumper insert holes.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:51 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: an idea

Originally posted by Mike T.
Why not supplant the North American bumper insert entirely, using the light-less European market bumper inserts? Certainly it's not legal, but neither is having a white reflector!
U.S. law requires proactive side marker LIGHTING, not reactive reflectors. The OEM assembly uses a white bulb behind an amber lens to impart the yellow light required in the front quarter panel. The aftermarket lens relies on an amber bulb that shines through a clear plastic lens to impart the required yellow "caution" lighitng. (Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure the standard OEM lens has any reflective properties. Any comments?)

The "clear" lens better matches all the other "caution" lighting on the car (at least on the sedan, where both the front and rear turn signals are amber bulbs behind white lenses). My car is desert silver, which argueably goes with the OEM amber lens better than most (Paprika is probably the closest match for the amber lens.) But the "look" is even more pleasing when the side marker matches the clear look of the headlights/fogs, because all three lights are so close together.

If I had a white sedan, I wouldn't even hesitate. It will look gorgeous! Silver, too. You just might have to fiddle with this cheaper brand get a good fit.

The european bumper provides no lighting at all, of course... or reflectors for that matter. Guaranteed not to pass a safety inspector who plays by the book.

999/1000 (one to go!)

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-26-2002 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
reflector

Every post-1968 car I've owned had side marker lights that were not only lit at night, but also have in-built reflectors. On the C Coupé, the rear side-marker has a reflective property (the forward edge of the t/l assembly, and I expect the front one does too (though we don't have our car yet and I can't confirm it). If the front orange lens is not reflective, it'd be a first, in my experience.

I'n not sure about the US, but I have always assumed that the reflective properties of the orange and red side markers were mandated by law, at least they are in Canada.

But who cares! We don't have any sort of vehicle inspection here in BC. Missing side markers are the least of our problems. I say get the EU bumper inserts if you're considering a change.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:50 AM

C Class Coupe 02'
hey black 230 coupe, how did you get your car so SHINNY? i must say i'm jealous cause everytime i get my coupe to look as good as yours the elements of LA smog messes up the wash. anyhow i went down to autodynamic and sat there picking out good panel lights. i got two boxes and mixed and matched to make sure i got the good ones. so i guess one of you ordering them got two bad ones hahaha the clear with the amber lights look sweet. btw they also sell the amber light bulbs for two bucks. ............they werent that rude
Old 04-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: reflector

Originally posted by Mike T.
Every post-1968 car I've owned had side marker lights that were not only lit at night, but also have in-built reflectors. If the front orange lens is not reflective, it'd be a first, in my experience.
I'm sure you're right about this, Mike. It's just been years since I've noticed this with front markers. Usually when I drive down a row of parked cars, the cars are parked nose-in, so I see the rear lenses rather than the fronts. The rears do reflect.

Here in the states, the inspectors have you turn on the lights to inspect the markers. If they can see the proper orange light in front, red at the rear, you pass. There are dozens of cars sold here that come from the factory with clear front markers over amber bulbs... If they don't reflect orange when unlit, I do suppose that's a problem (technically). But they can't take all of us to jail...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-26-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
laws... schmlaws... sometimes, you gotta break the rules!

who's w/ me? anyone? anyone? (cricket noise cricket noise)
Old 04-26-2002, 07:16 PM

c230 Coupe
Unhappy lenses

i hope mine fit when i get 'em
Old 04-26-2002, 11:26 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Here is a pic of my 2001 C240/6 with the Autodynamics clear corners. Yes, the were loose. Yes, it took 2 minutes to apply some foam tape as a shim and now they fit great! I like it!

Note that this is a 2001, so the white is Glacier White. As its name implies, it is bright and a bit blue when compared with the 2002 Alabaster White which is more yellow and not as bright.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:27 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
Here are the clear corners with the amber bulbs on.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Vince
do you have a full picture of your car. how much were those? i think i may want to do that to mine. that looks good.
are u talking to me i was not sure?

Originally posted by dmichael
My passenger side fits fine but the drivers side is flopping around like crazy. They look exactly(sizewise) alike when I hold them together. BlackC230, if you send your lenses back for replacements, aren't you going to get exactly the same product back? No offense, but if you are not happy with the fit, what makes you think they have a set that is different(better) and will fit correctly. I mean, I would assume that all of their stock is exactly the same. I think the holes in the bumper inserts vary just enough to make autodynamics lenses not fit in some cases and fit in other cases. The OEM seems to be slightly larger so they are not affected by the variances in the bumper insert holes.
I agree with u a little bit, but the reason i sent them back was because some peopele said they fit perfectly and i was hoping i would get a set that would. so i will give it a try if its still not good i will try to fix it then. i also thought about it being the cut out size on the car being different from all the others but i realized that after i sent them in. so i will just have to wait and see if the new ones are good or else i will get to play doctor.

Originally posted by JKDBENZ
hey black 230 coupe, how did you get your car so SHINNY? i must say i'm jealous cause everytime i get my coupe to look as good as yours the elements of LA smog messes up the wash. anyhow i went down to autodynamic and sat there picking out good panel lights. i got two boxes and mixed and matched to make sure i got the good ones. so i guess one of you ordering them got two bad ones hahaha the clear with the amber lights look sweet. btw they also sell the amber light bulbs for two bucks. ............they werent that rude
LOL. i thought it was actually dirty then 2 it was a little bit in person. I guess it look clean like that because i wash it 2 or 3 times a week and wax it every month. And if you think L.A. is bad florida is just as bad there is so much construction where i live that right after i was it its already dusty. Man i know i am going to get messed up lenses now i wish i got to pick my lenses and try them all my self lol when i get the new lenses they better not be worse than the ones i had.

If i still have a loose fit what can people recomend me to do to fix it?
thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Lenses From Autodynamics SUCK!!!