C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clear Lenses From Autodynamics SUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Clear Lenses From Autodynamics SUCK!!!

after waithing a while for my clear lenses from autodynamics.com i finally got them today and i put them on they they bairly fit
i mean they go on but not tight and they are basicly not flush against the the car i could stick my finger in the space thats how much it was hanging off the car. if u tap it it went up and down like it was about to fall off and they were installed right. so right now i put the amber lenses back on and i called autodynamics and told them whats wrong and they told me to mail them back to them and once they get mine they will replace it. i will give it one more try i hope mine were just defects. but i was very unhappy i was really looking forward to having them on my car.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
But others on this board said they got them and they fit PERFECTLY! Maybe they have some for the C-Coupe and some for the C Sedan but dont' know that they are different and send them out at random?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
But others on this board said they got them and they fit PERFECTLY! Maybe they have some for the C-Coupe and some for the C Sedan but dont' know that they are different and send them out at random?
no these are basicly identical to the stock amber ones but if u look closly u can see like these little plastic clip things are a touch smaller than the stock ones but its such a tiny difference but its obviously making a big difference. but as i said i hope these are just defective. i hope when i get the new ones they will fit perfect.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I got mine today. They fit my sedan, but they are not as tight and flush as the OEM parts. But, in truth, the OEM assemblies move a little, also.

I like the look, though.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
i would have been able to deal with it if they were a little loose but these were so loose if i was to go over a speed bump they would shake.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:46 PM

Awaiting a new arrival...
I posted this in another thread, as well. But, I concur...

I just tried to install mine, key word tried...

My passenger one fits much more snugly than the driver side, barely any gap and held in pretty tight. However, the driver one is very loose. I put the stockers back on.

If you look closely, you'll see the front U shaped molded portion is too short to hold the front of the lense housing tight in the bumper. With some creative cutting of the stock lense and the new lenses, you could mount the new lense on the oem housing and be in business. The lense quality is excellent, the housing shape is excellent, but the clip or latch portion is just a touch off, maybe indicative of what the sedan uses.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

could someone post a pic of the clear lenses on here?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by slcvr6
I posted this in another thread, as well. But, I concur...

I just tried to install mine, key word tried...

My passenger one fits much more snugly than the driver side, barely any gap and held in pretty tight. However, the driver one is very loose. I put the stockers back on.

If you look closely, you'll see the front U shaped molded portion is too short to hold the front of the lense housing tight in the bumper. With some creative cutting of the stock lense and the new lenses, you could mount the new lense on the oem housing and be in business. The lense quality is excellent, the housing shape is excellent, but the clip or latch portion is just a touch off, maybe indicative of what the sedan uses.
arent the lenes glued on the housing or is it in another way. by the way how can u put the stock housing on the clear lens the stock housing is a flat greay color inside and the clear ones came with gloss silver housing inside.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:03 PM

Awaiting a new arrival...
If the inside of the housing matters, spray it with some chrome paint and it matches.

The lenses are glues on, they can be pried off...I've done it with other cars and lenses before. It is a delicate job, but can be done if you don't mind spending some time doing it.

My fear is the lenses truly are for the sedan and the shape is the same, but the housing is where the difference lies. Anyone want to shoot pics of the backside of a 203 sedan front bumper side lense?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by slcvr6
My fear is the lenses truly are for the sedan and the shape is the same, but the housing is where the difference lies. Anyone want to shoot pics of the backside of a 203 sedan front bumper side lense?
that could be true.
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB-BOB -

please post some pics when you get a chance...

TIA
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I wouldn't separate the lens fron the housing... you want the whole deal to be watertight, and if you do this, you'll have a water problem instead.

Now, on the positive side, here's my suggestion. Take a 1" x 3/8" piece of flat plastic, about .030" thick and super glue it to the front edges of the protruding prongs at the FRONT of the mount. Cement the plastic to the edges that protrude the furthest from the base of the assembly. The idea is to increase the span between the front and back clips, wedging the unit closer to the body. Is this clear?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by MB-BOB
I wouldn't separate the lens fron the housing... you want the whole deal to be watertight, and if you do this, you'll have a water problem instead.

Now, on the positive side, here's my suggestion. Take a 1" x 3/8" piece of flat plastic, about .030" thick and super glue it to the front edges of the protruding prongs at the FRONT of the mount. Cement the plastic to the edges that protrude the furthest from the base of the assembly. The idea is to increase the span between the front and back clips, wedging the unit closer to the body. Is this clear?
i treid doing something like that it was a pretty ghetto way but it was all i had i used clear double sided tape and taped it in some critical spots it stoped shaking but it was not really against the body. on the sedan it would have been fine since u find of have an indentation for the lens. but the coupes not like that.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:42 PM

C230
Same here, they look good on the white coupe but they are not held in snug on either side. They probably won't fall off but they need something. I'll use a little clear silicon on them tomorrow and see if that works.

The actual light mount it self is not very MB like. Its just a cut hole in the plastic. Not the 2 or more screws you would expect from a German car.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

edvpt -

please post pics because i have a white car as well and i'd like to see what it looks like...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:19 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i too recieved mine today, and noticed that the passenger side is not as tight as the drivers side. However i created a small mound of hardened epoxy on the back of the lens mount, let it harden, then popped it into place. Worked great, and looks fantastic. will take pics after i get my new f707 next week.

definately worth the wait, and the minor expense. cant wait for the osram bulbs to arrive
Old 04-25-2002, 12:34 AM

03' E55 AMG
clear lenses

i put them on my c240 2001. they fit perfect. also, my car is white so its a plus. it looks like there not even there. my bro got the coupe, so when i move back to houston i'll try them on his and see the difference. :p
Old 04-25-2002, 05:24 AM

2002 C320
I received mine today, and install them.
They looks great but it doesn't fit perfectly compare to OEM. OEM fits much more tighter although size is the same..
I am gonna find some way to hold them tightly.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
ok folks....lets let the pics do the talking here...

anyone who has made the switch...please post a pic....thanks!
Old 04-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
The AutoDynamic part appears to be a (good) one-off casting from the OEM part. However, It's been my experience in casting plastic duplicates from an original part that there is always a nominal amount of shrinkage in the duplicate, creating the play everyone is experiencing.

I haven't taken a pair of calipers to the parts to measure the difference, but I'm guessing there's about .030" shrinkage over the 4" span between the clips on the duplicate. I'll try to measure tonight.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by MB-BOB
there is always a nominal amount of shrinkage
over the 4" span. I'll try to measure tonight.
I think Mrs. MB-BOB DEFINITELY needs flowers now, if this is true. Maybe several dozen. :p
Old 04-25-2002, 11:23 AM

C230
Originally posted by greg230
cant wait for the osram bulbs to arrive
What Osram Bulbs are you waiting for?
Old 04-25-2002, 03:00 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by tommy

I think Mrs. MB-BOB DEFINITELY needs flowers now, if this is true. Maybe several dozen. :p
Touchee! :o :p Just edit my remarks out of context. Go ahead.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-25-2002 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
What am I missing about the bulbs? I bought some plain-jane 194NA's from Autozone. $1.94/pr, including tax.

They work great, and you really can't SEE them (or their color) unless you get on your knees and look directly into the lens. From any other normal distance standing-up you really can't tell what bulbs are in there.

IMO, this fixation on silver bulbs that burn amber is a bit too ****... even for me. You can buy whatever you want of course, but I really don't think anyone will notice, unless you point it out. Otherwise you will be the only person who knows for sure that you spent nearly as much for the bulbs as the lenses.

Not really ranting, here. Rambling towards 1000, maybe...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-25-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:44 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Exclamation MB-BOB

Please take pictures of your sedan with the new lights!

Thanks,

Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Lenses From Autodynamics SUCK!!!