C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

N47-5, I've tried it all...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 C200 Compressor
Unhappy N47-5, I've tried it all...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some serious help..
I've been searching on google for almost a week now, but nothing is helping me.
It all started with me recieveing a Mercedes W203 C200 Kompressor Wagon, 2001 from my older brother. The ABS/ESP/BAS was lit from the beginning of recieveing it and I thought it would'nt be a big problem to fix it.
The paint on it was really, really bad since the genius who had it before clearly had no idea what he was doing. So i started grinding it down to apply some new paint and make a fun projekt out of this wagon. (It took me 5 days just to get all of that paint off, many thick layers....).

But before applying the new paint I wanted to fix the ABS problem so i plugged in the OBD (Maxisys) and got the fault code "CAN message from controle modue N47-5 (ESP, SPS [PML] and BAS control unit), CAN signal interruption [P0600]". There are some more fault codes but this one really seems to be the problem out of all the others.

So i started googling, first of all i replaced the whole unit (all the exact numbers as the last one etc). That didnt help, so I replaced all the ABS sensors and made sure they were original from mercedes. Ofcourse, that didnt help either.
After trying replacing these I tried turning the steeringwheel left and right and I also tried disconnecting the battery for a while. (The battery had been dead for some days but i recharged it, I am not getting any fault codes on the battery).
I have also checked the fuses and they are all good. The ground cable (right to the N47-5 unit) looks alright too, nothing that would make it not ground..

The last thing to do would be checking the power to the N47's connector, but I have made all kinds of different searches and have not found one diagram of the connectors cables. I need to know which one gives it power at all time and only at startup, and how much it should have etc. I did try disconnecting the connector and getting codes with it while it was disconnected, nothing changed in the Maxisys, the codes where the exact same.

Is there any way of checking if the module is broken? I am really unlucky when it comes to cars, so it would'nt surprise me if the one i bought is broken too..
Appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The ESP/SPS/BAS module schematic for the 2001 W210 shows the following connections. Take it for what it is worth but assume red is power and primary color red w/secondary color is switched power. If the wire colors match on the connectors you should be able to safely assume the modules use the same pin out. No guarantees so use at your own risk.

Pins 24 and 48 (both red wires) Hot at all times.
Pin 11 (red/yellow wire) is switched power. Power is switched through pump relay module in the drivers side fuse and relay module box and Fuse 19 (40A) in the front fuse/relay box.
Be sure to verify the two CANBUS lines. Even if one is broken/interrupted the sub-system should work although it will throw an error code.
See below.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 05-07-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 C200 Compressor
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
The ESP/SPS/BAS module schematic for the 2001 W210 shows the following connections. Take it for what it is worth but assume red is power and primary color red w/secondary color is switched power. If the wire colors match on the connectors you should be able to safely assume the modules use the same pin out. No guarantees so use at your own risk.

Pins 24 and 48 (both red wires) Hot at all times.
Pin 11 (red/yellow wire) is switched power. Power is switched through pump relay module in the drivers side fuse and relay module box and Fuse 19 (40A) in the front fuse/relay box.
Be sure to verify the two CANBUS lines. Even if one is broken/interrupted the sub-system should work although it will throw an error code.
See below.

Thanks alot for that, it looks the same as mine (or at least very close to it). The car works without any problems, I can start it up and go for a drive without anything wierd happening to it. I just have to inspect it, and I can't get it through inspection with the ABS on. And the km/h meter doesn't work, but that's because of the unit..