C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Radiator Fan Assembly or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Radiator Fan Assembly or Something Else?

Hi All!

I have purchased "Fancy," a 2007 C280. She's your basic W203 car, but to me she's pretty cute. The thing is, she's got issues...but what beautiful girl doesn't?

The main problem/symptom I'm having with her is that the radiator fan is not engaging. At all. I've replaced the radiator when she overheated and burst the radiator (throwing coolant all over the side of the road) on Mother's Day and she's been in time out in my garage ever since.

She will stay around 80-85 if I'm on the freeway and the air blowing naturally through the car is keeping her cool. Otherwise, she's not bringing in any new air. The mechanic says she's throwing a P0694 code. Also on his report is the following: "M4/7 (Engine and AC electric suction fan with integrated control): Output stage"

Instinct would tell me just go ahead and drop the $800 for a new fan assembly and call it a day. But I've got this nagging sense she might just tear through that too. The windshield washer pump motor never has worked since I bought her. I have read that this pump and the radiator fan are wired in series. Could this mean that a wiring assembly could have a short in it somewhere?

I have checked the regular little fuses in all three boxes (under hood, dash and boot), but haven't touched the big relay-looking ones. They all look fine to me. Here are a list of the little quirky things going on with her electrically...but only intermittently:

Left mirror turn signal (could that just be loose?)
Right mirror turn signal (that error only popped up once)
Rear fog lights did not seem to illuminate when I tested them
Key fob (just a couple of times) wasn't acknowledged by the car - at the time, I thought my fob battery was just weak. Nope, works just fine.

Glove box light has never worked, even with new bulb
Makeup lights have never worked, even with new bulbs
High brake light did not work at the last oil change about a month ago (burnt out light assembly?)
SRS light is constantly on (previous owner said they spilled something in the seat, causing it to come on)

Fancy has these error codes from the shop:

Airbag - 91C3 The resistance value in the ignition circuit containing component R12/6 (Left rear ETR ignition squib) is too high.
SAM-F - B1009 Component E2e2 (RIght low beam) is faulty or the line to the component has a short circuit or open circuit.
SAM-F - B1010 Component E1e2 (Left low beam) is faulty or the line to the component has a short circuit or open circuit.
SAM-F - B1014 Component E1e3 (Left standing and parking lamp) is faulty or the line to the component has a short circuit or open circuit.
EVENT SAM-F - B1029 Control module AAC is not sending any data.
EVENT SAM-F - B1035 Switch S1s1 (Exterior light switch) supplies an implausible value.
REAR SAM - B1072 Component E19/2 (Right license plate lamp) has Short circuit or open circuit (after this report, I changed out the bulb. I hadn't read up on how MB's hate LEDs prior to this. There currently are no LEDs in the car at all.)
REAR SAM - B1047 Component E4e2 (Right taillamp and parking lamp) has Short circuit or open circuit (Inner)
REAR SAM - B1055 Component E4e4 (Right stop lamp) has Short circuit or open circuit.
REAR SAM - B1051 Component E4e2 (Right taillamp and parking lamp) has Short circuit or open circuit (Outer)
Overhead Control panel - B1043 Component N70s6 (Left front reading lamp switch) is defective. (after this report, I changed out the bulb. That one was also an LED I put in, and she let me know that she didn't like it by exploding the bulb at me one day.)
Instrument Cluster with Maintenance Interval Display EVENT - 9115 Fault in CAN communication with control unit N22 (AAC [KLA] control and operating unit).
Steering Column Module - 9330 Component S111s1 (pushbutton + and - setting specific functions and volume control) is defective.
Door Control Module Front Left - B120B E6/5 (Left exterior mirror turn signal lamp): Open circuit or bulb faulty
Door Control Module Front Right - B120B E6/6 (Right exterior mirror turn signal lamp): Open circuit or bulb faulty

Could her problem be in wiring or a coolant temperature sensor or is it truly the radiator fan assembly that she needs? Or could it be something even more frightening, like a bad SAM?

I really appreciate the advice you guys can give me here. She's my first MB, and coming from Japanese cars my whole life (although I had an automotive corporate career), she speaks a completely different language than I'm used to, LOL! Thanks so much!
Old 05-21-2019, 03:19 AM

C280
And the obvious?

PS - The a/c is working intermittently, when the car temp gauge is below 85. Otherwise, it’s all hot air, like I’ve read with other radiator fan problems.

PPS - The CAM Sensor seals are leaking too. Previous owner didn’t make that repair. Could that leak affect the coolant temperature control and/or wiring?

Last edited by LittleMissFancy; 05-21-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:06 AM

c320
Any chance you figured this issue out? I have the same problem with my c320. Keeps blowing the engine cooling fuse.