C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

what is a Speedshift transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
what is a Speedshift transmission?

the new merc enthusiast mentions that the new coupe C32 will have the speedshift tranny (buttons on the steering wheel). anyone know exactly what that is? any pics?

how is it different from the sequentronic?
Old 04-26-2002, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
as far as I know, the speedshift transmission, is the same tranny that is in the Coupe but it shifts 35% faster and will automatically downshift "every" time the cars slows down to insure the most power availible, and it will always hold a car in a certain gear when turning. The buttons on the wheel would be cool, but I would rather have a stick to move. like i have now.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Tim is right.

my C32 has the speedshift which downshifts when under hard braking and can hold the gears in the corner to ensure maxium exit speed. the shifting pattern is 35% faster like Tim says.

but speedshift does not have the shift button on the steering wheel...the one you refer to might be the new SMG tranny that MB is planning on to put it in several of the AMG cars but i'm not sure if it is true though. it might be just a rumor
Old 04-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230/ B. Silver/Leather
Is this the same idea as what can be found in the Celica GT? It worked pretty good.

I almost bought one last year but came to my senses first.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by Bper
Is this the same idea as what can be found in the Celica GT? It worked pretty good.

I almost bought one last year but came to my senses first.

LOL!!! Don't even compare speedshift to the one in the Celica. Yes, it is the same idea. If you think that worked good, you'll love speedshift. Faster, crisper, and much much better.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by FrankW
but speedshift does not have the shift button on the steering wheel...the one you refer to might be the new SMG tranny that MB is planning on to put it in several of the AMG cars but i'm not sure if it is true though. it might be just a rumor
yeah, until further confirmation, it could be just a rumor.

here's the paragraph that i read in merc. enthusiast (which i posted in the new clk forum), "Although (the new CLK55) does not have a supercharged engine, the CLK55 AMG does gain the Speedshift transmission with button shifting on the AMG sports steering wheel, due to feature on all future AMG models." if it is indeed like the SMG, i would be very pleased w/ that.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I think you all are misinterpreting it, it's not a sequentronic. For the coupe in particular, it will be the same one found in the C32/SLK32 (Speedshift). The transmissions in future AMG models will still be a Speedshift automatic as well. The "button shifting" you are refering to performs the same function as the speedshift lever. The lever can be tapped left for a downshift and right for an upshift.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:00 PM

W212 E63
It's good to know the speedshift can shift 35% faster, but it will be better if the TouchShift operate in a "UP" "Down" position rather than "Left" "Right". I think I can shift another 35% faster from that change.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

C230
I can only wish...

the speedshift trannies can be done on the rest of the MB model range: the auto tranny on the C230 coupe is lethargic for performance use.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Speedshift was introduced in 2001 on the C32 and SLK32. For 2003, the CL55, S55, SL55 and CLK55 got the Speedshift Transmission as well with the buttons to shift on the back of the sterring wheel. The normal gear (left/right) shifting is still there as well. The tranny has a M/C/S switch. M is for manual mode, via the buttons on the steering wheel. C stands for comfort and is the same as the "W" button on the other transmissions. S is for "Standard" and works the same as the S on the other transmissions.

In 2004, the E55 will get this system as well.

AMG SpeedShift AMG SpeedShift™ programming provides up to 35% faster gear changes, automatically downshifts during braking, prevents unwanted upshifting while cornering, and features torque converter lock-up in all forward gears. Fingertip manual mode allows direct-access shifting through forward gears via buttons on back of upper steering-wheel spokes, and will automatically intervene only to induce an upshift at redline and select 1st gear when the vehicle stops.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:51 PM

Darn !!!

My thought exactly - even on the first test drive !!!

Would have been more fun and faster for me to do the up/down than doing the left/right

Originally posted by eason
It's good to know the speedshift can shift 35% faster, but it will be better if the TouchShift operate in a "UP" "Down" position rather than "Left" "Right". I think I can shift another 35% faster from that change.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by awiner
M is for manual mode, via the buttons on the steering wheel. C stands for comfort and is the same as the "W" button on the other transmissions. S is for "Standard" and works the same as the S on the other transmissions.
Doesn't the W stand for "winter mode", when the transmission starts in 2nd gear to prevent wheel spin to gain traction in the snow?
Old 01-10-2003, 04:33 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
really i think speedshift is mostly software programming (kinda like what B&M offers on Ford and Chevy cars) it increase line pressure for "firmer" shifts....wasnt really good on Ford/Chevy but I'm sure MB tranny can handle it. I do have to ask the big balla AMG owners here so your car is ALWAYS in speedshift mode? I dont know if l like that where for instance audi/porsche tiptronic will allow you to switch from fully-automatic to manny/tip mode (where the software becomes more aggressive)...sometimes I'll be driving parents or older folks around so gotta be as gentle as a camry/accord transmission
I am looking forward to owning an SMG (or similar) clutchless manual (only car i know in US are BMW M3, Toyota MR spyder)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:51 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by tberry
really i think speedshift is mostly software programming (kinda like what B&M offers on Ford and Chevy cars) it increase line pressure for "firmer" shifts....wasnt really good on Ford/Chevy but I'm sure MB tranny can handle it. I do have to ask the big balla AMG owners here so your car is ALWAYS in speedshift mode? I dont know if l like that where for instance audi/porsche tiptronic will allow you to switch from fully-automatic to manny/tip mode (where the software becomes more aggressive)...sometimes I'll be driving parents or older folks around so gotta be as gentle as a camry/accord transmission
I am looking forward to owning an SMG (or similar) clutchless manual (only car i know in US are BMW M3, Toyota MR spyder)
and Ferrari 360 Modena, 575 M, Maserati coupe and spyder.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: Darn !!!

Originally posted by Benzer
My thought exactly - even on the first test drive !!!

Would have been more fun and faster for me to do the up/down than doing the left/right
i actually like the left/right better.

--

man, this old thread got called up again!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:29 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
and Ferrari 360 Modena, 575 M, Maserati coupe and spyder.
Frank i think the Ferrari and Maserati has F1 paddle shift tranny which is a bit different from SMG trannies....dont know the exact details but basically Maserati got their's from Ferrari....While SMG allows you to do a 5k RPM launch I dont believe the F1 paddle shift system does.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by tberry
Frank i think the Ferrari and Maserati has F1 paddle shift tranny which is a bit different from SMG trannies....dont know the exact details but basically Maserati got their's from Ferrari....While SMG allows you to do a 5k RPM launch I dont believe the F1 paddle shift system does.
SMG stands for sequential manual gearbox. While this is just a name that BMW uses, the Ferrari system is still a sequential manual gearbox. There might be some differences in the way you shift them, but they are still sequential. The Ferrari only shifts with paddles. The BMW uses paddles and the shifter. But the whole launch system has nothing to do with it. Just some software that BMW built in. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari had something similar, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:32 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
there might be some mechanical difference in the design of the Ferrari and BMW's sequential gearbox, but they are essentially the same as far as the meaning of sequential manual gearbox goes. Both are manual gearbox with computer controlled clutch.

SMG or F1 is just how Ferrari and BMW call their own sequential gearbox.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:49 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
As long as we're discussing impractical cars, we can add the Aston Martin Vanquish to the list of those offering a clutchless manual gearbox.

Interestingly, I've seen more than one automotive journalist write that they prefer the conventional manual gearbox to the clutchless sequential one, including on MBs in Europe where the 6-speed Sequentronic option is available on the C class. The preference is probably a trade-off between fun (conventional box) and outright performance (sequential clutchless).
Old 01-11-2003, 11:23 PM

C32
the new clk 55 has shift buttons the the back of the steering wheel,i saw it at the la auto show
Old 01-11-2003, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
nomenclature

SMG or F1 is just how Ferrari and BMW call their own sequential gearbox.
I thought the proper name for the Ferrari SMG system was Cambiocorsa. Well, it certainly sounds more exotic in Italian. "F1" is boring (both the sport and the name)
Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
It sounds like everyone is a little confused here.

Just because the AMG speedshift has buttons on the back of the steering wheel its doing the same thing as when u would tap the lever left and right on and speed**** tranny.

Young you said if its anything like SMG you would get it, its noting like SMG, Its just a + or - on the sterring wheel like on the shift lever.

On an SMG car or a F1 tranny such as ferrari or BMW (the 2 are very similar) there is no toqure converter like on standard automatics and like the touch shift or speedshift tranny that may have buttons on the back of the steering wheel. (the speedshift with the buttons on the steering wheel is like just like the lexus IS300 with 2 ways to shift the auto tranny)

So Young the answer to your question is No, the speedshift with steering wheel buttons is not even close to SMG, its closer to our touch shift that a SMG tranny. Unless Mercedes brings there sequentronic tranny here they will not have anything similar to SMG.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:16 PM
CRB

The buttons on the steering wheel is also like Lexus' so-called E-shift that they use on the IS300.

Like the last poster mentioned the big difference between an SMG-type tranny and a conventional auto is the absence of a torque converter (aka slushbox). The SMG-type trannies have a conventional multi-plate clutch that is computer controlled. Car and Driver says that the Ferrari F1 tranny even matches revs on the downshifts. C&D likened it to having a professional race car driver working the clutch for you.

A prior poster noted that the BMW SMG was unique in allowing 5000 rpm launches. I believe that the Ferrari 575 Maranello has a similar "drag/street race" feature. However, according to Car and Driver, both manufacturers have choosen to disable this feature in U.S. delivered vehicles. I wonder why? Maybe a liability lawyer would like to weigh in here.

Last edited by CRB; 01-12-2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by CRB
I believe that the Ferrari 575 Maranello has a similar "drag/street race" feature. However, according to Car and Driver, both manufacturers have choosen to disable this feature in U.S. delivered vehicles. I wonder why?
Because most people in the US have no idea how to drive, and many of them would ruin the car right after they got it.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by CRB
C&D likened it to having a professional race car driver working the clutch for you.
I have driven one Ferrari. It was a 355 spider with the F1 transmission. I didn't get a whole lot of time in it, or the chance to drive it hard. But I was still less than impressed with the F1 shifting. But I assume they have improved it by now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what is a Speedshift transmission?