C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rain sensor retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
rain sensor retrofit?

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to install a rain sensor in a car not equipped with one. The housing is already there, can one just be plugged in there or are other connectors/wiring/software required for it to work? Too bad this wasn't available as a stand-alone option in the US.

Cheers, BT (who's getting too lazy to turn the wipers on in the rain)
Old 04-26-2002, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Rainsensor cars have a different front windscreen. On the windscreen (where that cover is) is a square hole with a small round hole, so the sensor can see out.

If you dont have that you need a new windscreen.

The rainsensor plugs into the overhead control panel, and I presume something in there needs programming to tell it the rainsensor is there using MB' workshop's star diagnosis system.

Maybee a MB Tech will know more about that bit ...
Old 04-26-2002, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
You might want to search on this topic. I think it was covered once before.

Beth
Old 04-26-2002, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by galaxygrrl
You might want to search on this topic. I think it was covered once before.
It's been brought up a couple of times but never really answered - other than that it's available as a stand-alone option on the C32 and on C230s in other countries. This led one poster to believe it should be simple to do (probably just plug it in and have the STAR diagnostic computer tell the car its there like Richard suggested).

Guess I'll have to ask my service advisor - unless mbtech208 knows the answer.

BT
Old 07-24-2002, 04:20 PM

2016 C200
Rain Sensor Retrofit II

My 2002 c-class originally came without a rain sensor when it should have (long story, so I won't digress!). Now my windscreen has cracked and I am having it replaced with one with a sensor on it. After much investigation, I cannot see, why after replacing the screen, the rest should be a complex procedure.

The dealers have frustrated me once again, all giving me different answers or guessing what may be required and that it would be costly and therefore shrugging me off.

Can someone state with some authority what wiring/equipment/work will be required to make the rain sensor functional after the screen is replaced or point to a source of more substantive information (regardless of cost, this is something I'll consider later as other factors come into it).

Is the control module for the sensor already on c-classes without the rain sensor? I suppose if this is the case then it would be reasonable to assume that all else that needs to be done is wire the sensor to this module. Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2002, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Rain Sensor Retrofit II

Originally posted by horizon
Is the control module for the sensor already on c-classes without the rain sensor? I suppose if this is the case then it would be reasonable to assume that all else that needs to be done is wire the sensor to this module. Thanks in advance
I assume by "control module" you mean the plastic thing that is attached to the windshield behind the rear-view mirror. My car doesn't have the rain sensor (obviously, since I started this thread ), but does have the module behind the mirror (which also has some other sensors in it as well I believe - I think for the SmartKey).

Since the rainsensor isn't a particularly expensive stand alone option in other countries (about $200 US), my guess is that all that is required is to pop the plastic piece off, connect the sensor to wiring that is likely already in place, reattach the module to the windshield, then use the StarDiagnostic computer to tell the car's computers to recognize the sensor and enable it. I'd like to eventually get this done, but don't know anyone else who has done it.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 07-24-2002 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
A guy I talked to had the rain-sensor retrofitted on his C32 because he lives in Seattle. He had to have the windshield replaces. Total cost ~ $1000.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by JustinTRW
A guy I talked to had the rain-sensor retrofitted on his C32 because he lives in Seattle. He had to have the windshield replaces. Total cost ~ $1000.
Bet he wishes he ordered that item as an option at $200. Are you sure he didn't have to have the entire windshield replaced for another reason (cracked, etc.)? I can't imagine why the windshield would need to be replaced to retrofit the sensor. I'd bet that at the factory it is added during the manufaturing process when the interior is fitted (after the windshield is already in place).

Hmmm...BT
Old 07-24-2002, 08:51 PM

2016 C200
I have had it confirmed by several sources that the windscreen is an integral part of the rain sensor. The sensing part is actually built into the windscreen on the inside of the screen. I can't explain the exact technical details, but I guess it's required to ascertain the precise measurement of infrared light escaping as a cause of moisture droplets on the screen. As a result, one needs to have a whole w/screen replacement in order to retrofit the rain sensor.

The control module, I was referring to, is whatever device would process information from the sensor and send signals to the wipers to oscillate. it may be excluded on non-rain sensing vehicles as it would be an uneeded accessory or it may already be there as part of some other integrated processor unit. All speculation, but unfortunately no facts as yet.

I know for certain that the plastic thing stuck onto the winshield is there on all w203s as it also contains the light sensor for the automatic headlights (tested by covering it and seeing the lights switch on), but don't know if actually contains any control device for the rain sensor
Old 07-25-2002, 12:21 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Talking

This afternoon I had a meeting with my local MB Tech manager. He said that is entirely possible to upgrade to the rain sensing system. Its very easy. Here is some of the info he gave me.

MB# Q 6 82 07XXT Light emulsion cap $649
Q 6 82 0707 INSTALATION KIT $600
Q 6 82 0712 VEHICLE COMPLETER KIT $211
Q 6 82 0724 Cradle Kit $215
Q 6 72 0577 Rain Recognition Kit $480

Installation approx $900

Total Cost.... $3055

This carries a one rainy day warranty.

JUST KIDDING!!!

Those are just the parts it takes to make a phone work in the car. Considering its a MB, to add the rain sensor would never be $3000. Maybe just $2,500. :p
Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

hey guys, i've noticed that the last post in this topic goes back to 2002. i'm wondering if by now someone knows how to setup the rain sensor. i have a 2001 c240, had the windshield replaced cos it was cracked. the fitted windshield is MB original with the sensor module. the body shop did not connect the sensors to anything so i am wondering how to do it and if i have all the components needed to make the sensors work. by the way, after the windshield was changed, the light sensor stopped working. i guess they are related. i'd appreciate some info here guys.
cheers
Old 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

come on guys, i'm sure someone out there knows.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:35 AM

2016 C200
hassanm,

i did manage to get the rain sensor retrofitted onto my 2002 c240. I had the windscreen replaced with one fitted with a rain sensor and it seems you've already had this done also. after that i went to an mb dealer and after a few reservations they agreed to do the work to get the system working. this entailed:

- fitting a control module behind the plastic thing on the rear view mirror and wiring this to the overhead control panel - thus connecting the rain sensor to the car's electronic network

- using the star diagnosis system to program the car to recognise that it has a rain sensor.

I had to buy the one part and it involved a couple hours max of labour. total cost UK£200 - £300.

Go to your dealer, supply them with this info and they should be able to do it. If you still come across stumbling blocks, post another message and I'll hunt around for the invoice. If I still have it, it will have the part no., hours & work done and cost.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Cars without rainsensor need to have the windsheild replaced with one that has the lens of the rainsensor already mounted there. Make sure you get a pre updated windsheild. Any windsheild from 2001-2003 will work fine. 2004 was a change in the sensor and will not work in your car unless you replace the overhead control panel as they combined both light and rain sensors into one unit. I have rainsensors if you need one though. The eaisest would be a rock chip claim under insurance if you had a rock chip to begin with. Version coding will be required at the dealership with a star diag system. Position 1 of your wiper switch will now act as the rainsensor switch. The sensor plugs into a vacant slot on the over head control panel.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for ur reply sunman, i am actually not sure what model my new windshield is, do u know how i would find this information? is it written anywhere on the windshield? the windshield was bought from a car wreckage so i have no info about it except that it fits. the windshield has a plastic box with several items, i dont know if this is the control unit with the sensor or just the sensor. i'll try to get some pics so maybe you can tell me what i parts i'm missing. if i have all the parts, then i'm considering a DIY to connect the sensor to the overhead unit ( do u have any idea about the wiring?). and if i dont have all the parts then i might as well take it to the dealer to do the whole thing. by the way, i am getting a "light sensor" error and i assumed that it is related to the rain sensor cos i thought that both of them are in the windshield but according to you, the light sensor was put with the rain sensor on the windshield in 2004 and i have a 2001. so according to you, my light sensor should be somewhere else. is it? and where would it be? any thoughts on why i'm getting this error?
cheers
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
pull the plastic piece off and take a picture.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
other than that it's available as a stand-alone option on the C32 and on C230s in other countries.
In europe the coupe have it as a stand-alone option (+ cruise-control and ligth-sensor) but in the sedan is an option except the ligth-sensor
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Talking Infrared?

Weird thought. If the rain sensor uses infrared light to detect raindrops on the windshield would it also get tripped out by a police officer shooting laser at you?

That would be funny, a cheapo laser detector, leave your wipers on auto and when they turn on, slow down.

It probably has some delay built in to keep that from working, just an interesting thought.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Almost a Member!

finally did it,
all i had to do was fish the wires for the light sensor and the wipers from under the interior lighting console and pass them through to the front where i just connected them to the sensors and there u go, it all worked out. well, not entirely, for some reason, when i put my lights to AUTO, they just stay on all the time. i understand that this is a common problem, i'm gonna have to check it out. maybe the sensor needs replacing. any ideas?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
maybe, you have a "Daytime Running Light" setting set to "ON".
That would keep your lights on all the time, even in the day.

Check that. If not, then I don't know, sorry
The following users liked this post:
Brabus388 (03-02-2020)
Old 07-09-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
For rain sensor to work, you must turn the wipers switch to position I (intermittent wipe)
nothing to do with ligths switch, but if your ligths are always on when in auto position, you must have the "Daytime Running Light" setting set to "ON" like Saprissa sayed

I only turn on the auto mode of the rain sensor when is raining, because if you have it allways on, sometimes it work with no reason at all, for example when I start the car
Old 07-09-2005, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by hassanm
finally did it,
all i had to do was fish the wires for the light sensor and the wipers from under the interior lighting console and pass them through to the front where i just connected them to the sensors and there u go, it all worked out. well, not entirely, for some reason, when i put my lights to AUTO, they just stay on all the time. i understand that this is a common problem, i'm gonna have to check it out. maybe the sensor needs replacing. any ideas?
It needs to be coded using the diagnostic.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the replies,
day time running lights are off as in my lighting setting is on "manual" not "constant". i'm assuming that this is the setting for daytime running lights. if so, then i must have a problem. i'll try to take it to the dealer to get it sorted out, maybe it just needs to be programed as benzmodz suggests. wipers are working fine.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:36 AM

2002 C32
Originally Posted by hassanm
thanks for the replies,
day time running lights are off as in my lighting setting is on "manual" not "constant". i'm assuming that this is the setting for daytime running lights. if so, then i must have a problem. i'll try to take it to the dealer to get it sorted out, maybe it just needs to be programed as benzmodz suggests. wipers are working fine.
Good to hear as I've been wondering about doing this when I replace the winscreen.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by trench
Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to install a rain sensor in a car not equipped with one. The housing is already there, can one just be plugged in there or are other connectors/wiring/software required for it to work? Too bad this wasn't available as a stand-alone option in the US.

Cheers, BT (who's getting too lazy to turn the wipers on in the rain)
My windscreen came with a "cradle" for the sensor even though I didnt have it. I plugged in the wire, clipped on the sensor and then had it coded with the diagnostic. Works fine.