C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is it worth my time and money to scavenge Harmon Kardon components

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Is it worth my time and money to scavenge Harmon Kardon components

I have purchased some parts from a donor 2005 C230 - most recently a set of folding rear seats. The owner of the donor car is friendly and sells parts at reasonable prices. When I was removing the rear seats last week I noticed the car had a Harmon Kardon premium sound system. I am considering the purchase of the rear deck speakers and sub woofer and possibly the amp.

I have done searches and determined that the HK system uses a MOST fiber optic system. There are adapters that take the signal from an RCA cable and convert it into a format that the MOST equipment can use, but they cost about $100. (Here’s an example http://www.carnaviplayer.com/fiber-o...porsche-p-1227) I have a Kenwood double DIN system in my car now. It has both line out and pre-out/RCA connections for speakers. I was wondering whether I could connect the HK amp to my Kenwood’ RCA and use the HK amp to power the rear deck speakers and sub.

Has anyone done this or something similar or have knowledge to share?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 PM

I picked up the speakers and the amplifier. The seller threw in the Sirius module and the mounting bracket. I need to decide whether I want to use the OEM amplifier or find a suitable after market unit.

The most compelling argument for purchasing a used aftermarket amplifier is the cost of adapting the OEM amplifier to my Kenwood head unit - about $100. Secondary considerations include my assumption that wiring of an aftermarket unit will require less trial and error and I am not certain the HK amplifier works.

Arguments in favor of the OEM amplifier include (1) It is compatible with the speakers, (2) Physical installation is plug and play, (3) I just don’t like to throw anything away, and (4) I am concerned that an aftermarket amplifier may overheat in the OEM mounting position.

I will appreciate comments and suggestions while I am deciding the best course of action.

Speakers

Amplifier and Sirius Module
Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Love the love you’re giving your w203!

I’m not a big speaker/radio guy-I have no valuable input...what I can say is I’ll never try to find 11 on my OEM H/K system...

I’ll see if I can find my post on Sirius.
Let me know if you need any install docs.

IF you’re changing your fiber loop in the transmission tunnel - do it ONCE! (Well at least one component at a time, but while it’s all ripped out/exposed) meaning...if you don’t have Bluetooth (maybe your aftermarket does/most likely) route it then...

Good stuff!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post6878631
Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 PM

Thanks Jake. The wiring harness for the tire pressure monitoring system arrived and I am planning to take care of the installation of that and the sound system upgrade at the same time. I also have two HVAC stepper arms to repair while I have the dash apart. I need to set aside a block of time to take care of all this. I hope this will be the last time I need to take anything apart in the interior.

The OEM amplifier and Sirius are probably not going to end up in my car. I doubt the Sirius module will be compatible with my Kenwood unit and I think I will achieve better results with an aftermarket amp for about the same cost as the fiber optic adapter.

Regarding the love for the car- I just passed 2 years of ownership and have driven the car about 30,000 miles. I would like to drive it for at least 4 more years and another 60,000 miles. In that context I can rationalize a few upgrades, but the costs are starting to add up.
The following users liked this post:
valgal3x (03-08-2020)
Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
Awe.
you need to pull the dash apart for a stepper motor?😞
Early facelift indeed.

Please start the car with radio/audio off just to listen for any potential timing chain rattle...

Glad you have the TPMS harness! That was FAST!

While you have the dash opened up, you might (if you’re thinking about doing it) want to run the line for the back of the HVAC to integrate Solar and Smog sensor into your digital controller...I think I recall you doing that aesthetic upgrade.👍
Old 08-23-2019, 09:25 PM

I have about a month of vacation time that I need to use between now and the end of the year. I am planning to budget a day off to take care of the interior projects. I am a slow worker and I don’t want to run out of time in the middle of the job.

I did add the climatronic digital HVAC controls. If you can point me in the right direction I will check out the smog and solar sensor projects.

Regarding the timing chain - The timing chain in the car that I am scavenging skipped a tooth. So I am sure the same thing could happen to me. My car has about 142,000 miles on it. I bought it with 112,000 on it and I have to assume the timing chain is original.

The independent shop I use for the work I cannot DIY provided an estimate of $1069 to replace the chain and related components. I am seriously considering going ahead with the replacement. I have occasionally heard noise on start up when the car sat for a few days. Since my goal for the car is to reach at least 200,000 miles and another 4 years, $1069 may be a reasonable cost. I have not totally ruled out DIY, but that would be a challenging job and I don’t want to get in over my head.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rade-plus.html

that’s the “original” thread on adding Solar and Smog.

the grille in the hood will get broken clips. Just because it’s old brittle plastic.

you don’t need to pull the cowl to add smog. Just push on the screw and tap the boss.

I made my own harnesses as well. I might have a few pins left to add to the back of the controller...