C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car enters limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Car enters limp mode

Hey guys! First time post here so bare with me

I drive a 2001 C320. Couple of weeks ago car entered limp mode when I was driving home from work. Didn't really know what was happening, but I just restarted the car and manage to come home. It started happening more often, on the way to school, and back. I stopped driving it shortly after that and it was sitting in my drive way. My father and I scanned the car with the "Star Diagnostics" tool that we have at home to see what the problem was. It registered that there is "an error", but did not specify what the error is. After climbing underneath the car and taking out the 13-pin connector to check on the O-ring, we found the the rings were completely busted and just letting in fluid. Replaced the connector/o-ring and test drove it (around 85km). The transmission shifted fine and was working as before is started going into limp mode. Father cleared the car to drive around, and I drove to work, maybe around 15km. Still working as before. Tried to drive to school today, and upon leaving my house car entered into limp mode after 5 min of being turned on. Pulled over to restart. Upon restart the multi-function display was showing the the car was in "Neutral" while the shifter was in drive. When putting the car into "drive", it jolted violently. Drove back home and now sitting in the driveway again. Fluid was replaced a year ago and a little bit much of it was added, so when we pulled out the connector, a little bit of it drained out, but still in normal levels.

Any advice on what to do with it? Really need the car right now to drive to school as public transport is not the greatest.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Pull up the front passenger seat carpet and underneath the foot panel you'll find the TCM. Check for ATF contamination on and around the TCM and wiring.
The following users liked this post:
leonrsa (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 C270CDI
If no contamination on the TCM is found, your gearshift module my be at fault...