C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I bought a '05 C240. She has 68 Codes after a dead battery all winter. Help me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Question I bought a '05 C240. She has 68 Codes after a dead battery all winter. Help me?

I just bought my first Benz and I am genuinely excited to own it and make it into a great running car again. I sure could use some help though...

VEHICLE DETAILS - 2005 - C240 4MATIC Sedan - 155k miles - Purchase Price $500 - Did not run. Charged the battery, and she started right up. Drives good. Probably needs a front right wheel bearing.

***Current Symptoms: Power Windows do not work, Power Locks to not work. Power Mirrors do not work. Warning light showing SRS light and telling me to drive to workshop in the dashboard screen. Dashboard Screen showing Door Open while I'm driving.

I bought a iCarSoft i980 to try and figure out what was causing my issues. I was hoping it would just tell me there was some sort of a fault in a door, and I'd be able to repair that and move on to making this thing cherry again while I have time during this world pandemic.

I clicked through all the different modules on the i980, and I have 68 Codes listed through all the modules. I attached the maximum of 40 photos of what it showed me, but...man, it's a ton of different things for all 68 codes. None of them are standard DTC codes though like I'm used to dealing with for Check Engine Lights on domestic/import vehicles I've seen in the past. Last week, I saw a forum post talking about how there would likely be some electrical issues after a dead battery, and since this car sat through winter with a dead battery, I'm hoping it's something wrong with a fuse panel or something? I can't find the post because I was researching the other issues I was trying to repair on the vehicle. I believe they referred to them as the SAM, and CANBUS that are susceptible to issues when the system is not powered correctly.

The trunk did have some moisture inside of it, and the contents of the trunk seemed wet when I pulled them out (trunk latch stuck closed). The lowest parts of the trunk were a bit wet. I think the rear fuse box should be area of focus, but I'm open to any advice about what could be wrong here. I checked all the fuses, and it seems like a majority of things located on that fuse block are working, other than the windows and such. Those fuses seemed fine. I swapped any relevant fuse to my window/lock/mirror issue just in case, and found no change.

If I had to replace the whole rear fuse panel:
Is that something I can replace on my own? Do I need any sort of reprogramming? Should I just take it in for service since I bought it so cheap and have them tell me what's wrong with her? Can I troubleshoot this myself.

I'm a self-taught mechanic, who knows I should take any help I can get here, since I've never owned one before. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by MITCHwithC240; 03-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C240 4MATIC
Hi, as far as all those codes showing up, clear them and recheck after a couple days. As far as the electrical gremlins go, get a electrical test light or volt meter and check for power at the component? This will narrow it down to a fuse panel or individual items that are broken, a lot of sleuthing required but, at $500 bucks and plenty of quarantine time, seems like a good project! Good luck and post updates and pic of car!