C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c70 vs c230 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
The Volvo Turbo 5 is probably one of the best proven engines out there. I have had that engine since 1992, 850 GLT 850 turbo the S70; and C70 and now S60 24T. Never had a problem, the new 300 hp, does make on think, may be trade the S60, but never the my C230 Coupe. Have has Volvo's for the past 20 years, but the coupe, thats a different story.
Tom
Old 05-07-2002, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by DtS
As the only Swede (?) reading this forum, I guess I should have an opinion as well. To be honest, the C70 was no success story for Volvo, and you don't see many of them around in Sweden. If it was me choosing between the C70 and the C230 Coupé, I think my choice still would be the Volvo (for reassons like it's a more powerful car and a true coupé). Dated or not, the construction is solid. In a hypothetical choice between the respective sedan models (ie. 850/S70 vs. C240), I would choose the Benz (just not to go with the flow...)

But, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them
Interesting... My choices would be (and actually have been) quite the opposite... I've got a C Coupe and a S70 GLT (2.5T in Europe)... Reasons - the Volvo is a superb long distance cruiser, 8-10 hours of driving is nothing in this great car.. Volvo's comfy seats are universally praised, even in BMW's forums (!!!!)... Its safety is legendary... But - it's FWD and automatic (they don't sell manuals for this engine in the US). Not to mention, the Volvo is an official wifemobile in the family ... The C Coupe, on the other hand, offers me what I need for everyday driving - excitement of the RWD, good handling and a manual tranny coupled with a plenty powerful engine (soon to be Kleemannized). Plus, this car is solid as a rock; the last and only problem was a faulty fuel sensor - has been great since the dealer fixed it.

P.S. The C Coupe is a true coupe as well - what else is it? It's more of a coupe than a BMW 3-er Ci which is a sedan with 2 wide doors instead of 4 regular ones.

Last edited by vadim; 05-07-2002 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 kompressor C2 C7
WOW
this thread sure has brought up some thought provoking arguments both for and against the volvo. my schedule didn't allow me to go to the volvo dealer to test drive the c70, but it has been on my mind for the last two days non stop. it hasn't helped matters that this forum was down, and i wasn't able to read all of your excellent comments.

the volvo had luxury. there isn't really a question there. it has more power. its engine still has room to grow, to maybe 270 safely. i don't know if the front drive can make use of that extra power, but that isn't really the issue here. the volvo is on a dated platform that is going away. buying it is buying an old car. i have to face that. it may be new today, but to anyone else looking at it, it is a shiney and perfect 4 year old car at best.

the c230 has flash. it is rear drive, and has a manual transmission. it has an engine that is proven, and has room to upgrade.

buying a car to some may be a matter (as one friend suggested) of making a list of pros and cons and choosing the one that stackes up best. but to me it is a rather emotional purchase. it is more than simply making the best decision based on numbers. with respect to the choice between these two cars there are no losers. it isn't like i am comparing a corola to a mb. these are wothy opponents, and i guess it comes down to this. i have had my heart set on the c230 since my first day at the dealer. it has been all i think/talk about for over a month now. the volvo is a fantastic car i am sure. if you own one great. enjoy it, and be nice when you fly past me on the fwy. but for my 30 grand, i am sticking with the benz. i want to thank each of you very much for all of your input
clint
Old 05-07-2002, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Clint-

As much as I like Volvos (don't forget - I own one), I'd say: go with the Benz (unless you're comparing it to the S80T6 or S60R )...

It was quite emotional to me, as I was (and still am) a big Volvo enthusiast... but I didn't like the new S60, although I did test drive a nice S60 T5 with a sport (spaceball) shifter and awesome carbon fiber interior... Just coudn't force myself to like it, especially the center console (still like my '98 S70 a lot, though)... then there was that Geggy Tah commercial... 2 test drives... Exhaustive research on the Internet... I was left with no choice but to get the Coupe... Still love it.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:14 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by JoReL
I just read in this months Motor trend that the c70 will be replaced next year with a "C60"..but will include an option which is the "c60-R"...which includes a 300hp turbocharged I-5, 6 speed and my personal favorite...all wheel drive. Its gonna be SICK!
I don't think there will be any C60-R. The new models from Volvo will be a S60-R (300 HP, AWD. Sceduled production start: Middle of March 2003), a new S40 and a new station-wagon sharing its platform. It will be named V50. The "new" C70 will be called C40 (I don't know why... maybe it will share the platform with the new S40 rather than the S60?). They are currently working a replacement for the S80, and it will be called S90. It's about to be presented sometime next year (don't have an exact date). There are also plans (don't know if they have gotten a "green-light" from Ford yet though) for an even smaller car wich is about to compete with MB A-class and Audi A2. It till be named V30. Lot's of things going on in Gothenburg right now

Last edited by DtS; 05-07-2002 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:07 PM

C230K
My first choice was the C230K. Since I was a kid, it was always a dream to own a MB. They were without doubt the pinnacle of solidity in engineering and reliability. As soon as I saw the front of the C230K I fell in love, and we bought one within 2 days.

What followed was a miserable time of car failures, quality issues, idiotic service managers, lost days at MB, and the dissolution of my dream.

We are very happy with our S60 2.4T, and enjoy kicking MB *** when we can.

Cheers
Raymond
Old 05-07-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Raymond, sorry to hear about your Coupe problems. I also have the S60 24T (my wife) and I the Coupe. I have 4500 mile on the coupe and "no" problems (lucky) the Volvo has 18,000 and no problems. To me the Volvo is the perfect sport family sedan with all the comforts at a good price.
enjoy
Tom