C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS on C?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by dougpark714
Has anyone installed the Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS on their C? Any reviews? The reviews are pretty good for the product. Trying to figure out where I would install it. Stealth install would be inside the covered astray area -- but would require some mods.

Doug
i had the roadmate 700 before i had a comand retrofitted in my w208. the nav on the roadmate was a million times better than the comand.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the Magellan Roadmate 500 this weekend, boy was it terrible in the C. We ended up sticking it out the sunroof to get it to work. From inside the car we finally had it working near the windshield. The screen also washes out in the sun making it hard to see. The main thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a seperate antena you can place on the dash and then have unit in a comfortable viewing place inside. Mounting it to the vents as shown above won't work on the C, no reception.

Functionality wise, we couldn't find Qualcomm Stadium, the San Diego Love Tour by searching POI's by catagory. The directions were very vague and got us lost. For example the road was curving left and it told us to make a slight right which led us astray. Frankly Comand is much better at giving directions and so is TraveRoute PC software.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
I used the Magellan Roadmate 500 this weekend, boy was it terrible in the C. We ended up sticking it out the sunroof to get it to work. From inside the car we finally had it working near the windshield. The screen also washes out in the sun making it hard to see. The main thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a seperate antena you can place on the dash and then have unit in a comfortable viewing place inside. Mounting it to the vents as shown above won't work on the C, no reception.

Functionality wise, we couldn't find Qualcomm Stadium, the San Diego Love Tour by searching POI's by catagory. The directions were very vague and got us lost. For example the road was curving left and it told us to make a slight right which led us astray. Frankly Comand is much better at giving directions and so is TraveRoute PC software.

thats cause its the 500
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Explain to me why the 700 would have better reception or be able to find POI's better than the 500, assuming you loaded the entire contents for the state you are traveling in to the 500? Also, where on the C-class would you mount the unit? I know it didn't work where you had it on your CLK.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Buell, in my C, I mount our 500 to a magnetic angle bracket that sticks to the center dash grill. No problems what-so-ever with reception. Also, there is an accessory external antenna available from Magellan, but I have not needed it. Before I had the magnetic bracket built, I used the included vent-mount and, again, no reception problems (though that bracket is a PITA and it broke the vent on the wife's Honda). It even works when it falls off the dash an onto the floor. Could the reception have to do with being on the opposite coast?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's probably more likely because of 2 factors, 1) you have an all glass panorama roof, 2) the windshield maybe raked more in the coupe than in my sedan.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
It's probably more likely because of 2 factors, 1) you have an all glass panorama roof, 2) the windshield maybe raked more in the coupe than in my sedan.
maybe yours is defective or something cause its def way better than you make it out to be. although i had the 700, i had it in a coupe with no pano roof and it was my best working nav ever. bottom line.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, not defective, it works great in his Jeep, just on in the C-sedan. Like I said, the roof line is different and the rake of the windshield may allow it to work in the coupe's airvents but not the sedan. When you get a sedan loaner, try it, let us know if you have better luck.