C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Click Click

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 C-Coupe
Click Click

Is anyone experiencing a persistant clicking noise from somewehere around the back seat of the Coupe?

I can't figure out where it is coming from but everytime the car hits a bunch of bumps in the road it clicks.

Since my road is uneven I hear it all the time but can't figure out where it is in the car. Just that it appears to come from the back seat?

I would take it in to the service centre but I am rulectent to establish myself as the person who complains about little noises.

Nathan
Old 05-07-2002, 01:00 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
I can hear sometimes these tick and clicks from behing the driver's seat.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:04 PM

2002 C320
Well, it's probably different noise but I hear that ticking noise when passenger side door opens. Very annoying.....
Old 05-07-2002, 01:12 PM

Check for some crickets hiding in your interior. Even bugs wanna go for a ride in a Mercedes.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:18 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Take a drive with a friend in the back seat. Maybe from that vantage point they can pinpoint the source of the clicking. Not to mention this allows you to concentrate on driving.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
My passenger seat headrest (C240) rattles a bit when no one's there. Could that be the sound you're hearing? I've read they can fix it by removing the headrest and bending the posts outward slightly so they hold more tightly in the guides -- haven't tried it yet. Hold your hand against the headrest when you hear the noise and see if it stops.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:11 PM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
Nathan,

I have that same noise you are talking about - at first it was sounding as if it was coming from behind the driver's seat, which I still believe it is, but now I am noticing that it is coming from different places (all in the rear seat area) and it is getting more and more frequent. I am thinking that its the back panel of the panaramic roof. Does your seem to be coming from the roof? Do you have the Panoramic roof? Another possiblity is the roof or sunshade motor and thirdly the rear headrests as MarkL sugeests. I have been waiting for it to become worse so I can address it with the dealer service.

P.S. - It is driving me nuts, since I like to listen to AM sportstalk radio - otherwise I would drown it out with music like most would.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:41 PM

another possible source

I had a problem that sounded like it was coming from the back around the top of the back seat near the c-pillar, but it was actually the button to control the passenger map light rattling agains the overhead console. It is truly amazing how a sound carries in a car and I only found this by sitting in the passenger seat while someone else drove the car for me. This changed my perspective on the noise and let me zero in on it.

JR
Old 05-07-2002, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Hmmmmm. I don't have that noise in my car. I listened carefully to see anything ratters but don't hear anything in my C230.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:33 PM

C230 C-Coupe
Some good suggestions that I will try.

I have been listening to this as a passenger but it comes from more than one place. I also thought the noise was coming from the back of the drivers seat. So I sat there and I heard it come from exactly where I was and then it appeared to the right of me?

I do have the pana roof.

If enough of us hear noises then maybe it is real?
Old 05-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
I've heard something that sounds like a small rock or pebble hitting the rear panoramic or hatchback glass. Up until now I thought that's what it was, and that I didn't notice it in other cars due to the glass construction (less and different sound insulation) on the C. has anyone else heard this? I'll pay more attention to it and post my findings.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:08 PM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
What I will do, is remove the rear headrests completely (they just slip right off), and drive around, if the noise goes away, then we know what is the culprit, if not, at least we eliminated 1 possiblilty. I have a good feeling that the roof rear panel is the issue. If the noise was coming from directly overhead I would say the the front roof panel would be at fault, possibly requiring a little lube on the weather seals. I will report back on the headrest test and if it did not work, I will be scheduling a service visit soon and report back if the dealer can resolve this. Until then, Click.....Click..Click........Click
Old 05-08-2002, 09:28 AM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
With the rear headrests removed, the click...click...click.........click continues.
Sounds more and more like the roof panel(s).
Old 05-13-2003, 08:15 AM
moomeh

i'm now having the same problem with a click click sound. i'm at 6100 miles. seemed to have increased since 4000 miles. don't know from what it is exactly, but i do know the seatbelt pully hits the plastic cover is one of the noises when wearing the seatbelt. but the others, i have no idea. will try that headrest thing today.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have a noise in the rear that the dealer thought was the ESP under heavy acceleration while sliding. But I heard it when not accelerating and the road was bumpy. The dealer is looking into the rear sway bar bushings this service visit. I only hear mine when it is really bumpy or the wheels bounce when ESP is off and I am sliding in a turn, which only happens once in a great while now that I am used to the car and not pushing it to its limits because it is new and fun. I will let you know what they find.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I have a couple clicks:

One *seemed* to come from the passenger side door or b-pillar. My wife traced it to the passenger side pana-roof bellows. This is the accordian looking thing under each side fo the movable panel. If I reach over (and up) and rest my finger on the rubber, the clicking stops.

The other *seems* to come from the the drivers side b-pillar. I hear it over my left ear while driving. I need to get my wife to drive me around the block while I camp out in the back seat to trace this one down.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MarkL
My passenger seat headrest (C240) rattles a bit when no one's there. Could that be the sound you're hearing? I've read they can fix it by removing the headrest and bending the posts outward slightly so they hold more tightly in the guides -- haven't tried it yet. Hold your hand against the headrest when you hear the noise and see if it stops.
I had the same problem. They replaced the headrest, and some clips and possibly some other pieces. The parts had to be shipped in of course.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:16 AM
moomeh

i found two clicks so far, i think i have 3 more left. the microphone was loose, i tightened it and that stopped it from clicking. the mirror is the other and that isn't stopping. mb will have to change it. the other three not sure yet but seem two come from the door columns and one from the center console. not sure if it could be the air vents.

btw, i don't listen to music that much, this is why it is annoying.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Wow, does everybody have clicks in their C-class???
Old 07-14-2003, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally posted by avlis
...The other *seems* to come from the the drivers side b-pillar. I hear it over my left ear while driving...
Ever figure this out? I have this exact clicking/ticking and it's driving me the short trip to crazyville.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Originally posted by pocholin
Wow, does everybody have clicks in their C-class???
It's CLK envy
Old 07-14-2003, 01:25 PM
moomeh

the biggest clicking, which i made a thread for a while ago, was from the heat exhaust shield. it got rather loose from the crappy roads ohio and michigan have. mb tightened it up for me and no more clicking.

just keeping people posted if they are still following this thread.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Another area to look at is the plastic caps that covers the hinges on the sides of the seats. I finally found them to be the clicking source in my car but it sounded coming from the rear...
Old 07-14-2003, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by C230Jeff
Ever figure this out? I have this exact clicking/ticking and it's driving me the short trip to crazyville.
No. They did find a loose fastener (clip) that holds the fabric covered trim piece on the b-pillar. It used to squeek if you touched it. I thought that surely was culprit. It wasn't. It's going in next Friday to fix a list of noises.

To make a short post long:
I was driving my wife's Honda with a squeeky roof rack. The squeek was clearly on the roof of the car but appeard to come from the driver's b-pillar. Same area as mine. I also have a clicky pana-roof. Maybe the sound is on the roof and its traveling down to the b-pillar. It seems to be very temperature dependant.

-However-

If I pull on the shoulder part of the seatbelt while driving some of the cliking *seems* to go away.

I wedged a piece of folded paper under the seat latch and also the plastic covering that goes around the bottom of the seat. The paper should have put tension on the parts and reduced the vibration between them. The click did not go away.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:38 PM

Not even one ???

Originally posted by Iceman's C230
Hmmmmm. I don't have that noise in my car. I listened carefully to see anything ratters but don't hear anything in my C230.
Come drive my coupe - click, clak, zing, tick tick, screez, bloop bloop... Just to name a few.

Not counting the rattling noise from the Pano, of course.

Sighhhhhhhhhh