C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clicking Noise From Rear @ low speed when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Clicking Noise From Rear @ low speed when turning

Hello,
I have a clicking noise coming from the rear of a 2007 C280 4Matic. If the car is driven straight forward or reverse there appears to be no apparent noise. When turning hard and backing up or pulling forward there is a clicking or louder noise that appears to come from the rear. Even at barely moving speed. Had two people trying to diagnose. One lying on ground looking under car while other person barely moving car. Both people lied on the ground on both sides of the car and could hear the noise but noticed nothing abnormal with the rear CV axels or anything that we could diagnose. Car has been jacked up and there is no movement in wheel left or right or up or down. The CV axles seem to have zero play and rubber boots appear to be in excellent shape. There seems to be original rims on the car and the lug bolts have been the same since I have owned the car. The noise was not there with the same wheels and lugs before. I have removed the rotors and on one side removed the Knuckle hub assembly but do not think the wheel bearing is the problem. I would gladly change it and the CV axles if I knew it would solve the problem but I don't think there is anything wrong with either. The wheel bearings appear to be the ones that would be difficult for the homeowner to remove. The backing plate is sandwiched between the Knuckle and the hub. The backing plate appears to not be removable until the hub and knuckle are separated unless it were cut off. With the backing plate in place it makes the bearing removal on a home press pretty tricky without some serious brainstorming. As mentioned the bearings seemed good no wiggle at the wheel or play when assembly is off the vehicle. I am tempted to just put it back together because I do not think the wheel bearings are an issue. There is no whining or issue at high speed or driving straight. There is simply a noise from the rear when moving forward and or reverse while turning.

Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:19 AM

C280
So I just found out that new CV axles for the rear of that 4Matic are not very available. It seems if purchased from dealer they are around $800 each. Used ones can be purchased for around $150 for the pair. I do not think there is anything wrong with mine so for that price I will just keep the ones I have until they prove faulty. I have arranged new Rear bearings from to NAPA around $75 each and their machine shop guy removes old and puts in new for $60 each. So I am going to have new quality bearings installed in both rears for about $280 and I do the labor. If I didn't have them tore into I would probably not be doing the bearings but maybe it will solve the issue. I am still seeking input on what else could be causing a ticking/light clunking noise at slow speeds in the rear of a C280 only while turning.

Please respond. This vehicle has been parked for almost a year due to this issue. The car only has 130k on the clock and I would like to get my wife driving it again.

Any suggestions/input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:02 PM

C280
I have belonged to a Cadillac Forum, Toyota 4Runner Forum, a Chevy Truck Forum, a Ford Enthusiast Forum and I am sure more. I am not sure why but this forum no one is willing to participate with me. Well I guess that is okay. I have no idea if my problem is fixed or not but I watched a guy get the hubs apart so I will share what I saw.

As mentioned the backing plate is sandwiched between the knuckle and the hub. The guy took and put the knuckle in a heavy vice and clamped it tight. He took a socket and drove the hub from the knuckle by pounding it right out. He took the retaining clip off the bearing and pressed the old bearing out of the knuckle. Easy peasy. He was able to get the race off without even cutting it by using a separator with a couple of bolts. Putting in was no issue. Pressed into hub lined up hub flipped over so hub was on bottom put backing on inside of bearing and pushed from inside so as to not destroy the new bearing. Had I seen this I could have easily done this at home with nothing more than a vice and a press.