C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

330i vs a SS C320 '05

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW e46
330i vs a SS C320 '05

First off, Hi to everyone! I'm currently a BMW owner and love it, but I'm not particularly happy with the direction BMW is going in. The e90 looks not too bad, but I haven't seen it in person. I went out to C-spot this year and they supposedly had all '05 MY cars out there. I was pretty impressed with the styling. The handling left a lot to be desired, but then that can be fixed.

My question is how do the current model 330i (even ZHP)compare to the new MY05 320 sport sedans? MB has an edge on the price, but as far as quality, issues addressed in the new model, performance, modding capabilities. Don't leave any stones unturned. I'm not looking for a rage against BMW, I know all of the e46's weaknesses, but I'm not very familiar with MB.

I am asking the same question on my "home" forum, and wanted to ask you guys as well, to try and get a balanced perspective. Thanks in advance, and good to meet ya.

bmwracer3

Last edited by bmwracer3; 08-22-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's tough to compare, a new Bimmer comes with free maintenance, the MB doesn't, that alone would score points with me and that may neutralize the price advantage. My local BMW dealer is horrible, the MB dealer is great, that's my biggest reason for not getting one.

But as cars, I've driven Bimmers at track events (a Road & Track magazine event this morning) and never really liked the way they handle and I prefer the MB, just feels more stable at high speeds and cornering. The interior feel, dash board, materials, leather is nicer to me on the MB than the Bimmer. As for modding, you'll find that the C320 has plenty of goodies to add from simple things like pulley kits, exhausts, chips, cup kits, lowering springs, swaybars to the more intense like the Kleemann supercharger. Also the AMG parts are cheap so for example you can upgrade to the C32 swaybars for about $200.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm doing the same ...

Hi, I'm doing the same thing. I've driven both and I find the MB to be less powerful and the handling not as good. That being said, the '05 C320 has great styling and the interior finally seems good (I'm no fan of the BMW interior either).

I know all of the MB vets will disagree, but I find the Bimmer to be a much better mod platform not to mention the forums are better to get that specific mod info.

I think this is the best of C forums, but there's not a lot of interesting activity as compared to Audi and BMW since it seems people do less with their cars. That being said, there's piles of information in here for you to search on, but don't ask first or Amdeutsch will ream you.

In the end I think I'll go with MB - while I'd love more power and handling I'm not ready to get the C32 so I shouldn't complain as a ZHP would be close in price. I think I like the better interior and features more than the performance at this point and just cringe everytime I see a Bangle.

The maintenance doesn't bother me and my local dealers seem equal with the Audi dealer being the best, but I've had a few of those and am ready for a change.

BTW - the Euro Delivery program is different for both if you're interested and I think I like the MB one better although that's another hard thing to find info about.

good luck! Let us know!
Old 08-22-2004, 04:43 PM

05 CLK 320
I got the 05 C230 after trading in my 02 330CI coupe, sport package 18" rims, Dainae cold airintake . I am very happy about the handeling. In my opinon I would give BMW only a 15-20% advantage in handeling over the Benz. The sound system is also better. With the 05 C320 sport you will be getting better engine power. Also the C class has more room, and you will love taking it on long road trips.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I took one of my friends from high school for a test drive for both 330Ci ZHP and the 05 C320 ss since he's looking for new car. From his point of view (not really a car guy), he feels that the interior and ride quality is a lot better in the 05 C320 ss. he likes the exterior of the BMW however. He said he was more impressed w/ the MB than the BMW because he didn't feel that ride of the ZHP would suit him on daily basis.

From my personaly stand point, I can't really make my decision because for 2005, the C320 ss is really a LOT improvedover the previous car. The 330 ZHP on the other hand has the handling and more power. It's really brand preference this time unlike when I had my 2000 328Ci compare to the C280 sport.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whats the ZHP thingY?!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Xeon
whats the ZHP thingY?!
performance package, factory code = ZHP.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
MBZ has an awesome bolend of luxury and performance in the sprt sedans.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Guest0001

IMO stock for stock BMW is the better balance between ride and sport. But a modified MB feels better, looks better and has more style and has more of that sophisticated business man interior. Both are great cars but the 3 is starting to look old and needs a update hence the E90. Like Frank said it comes down to personal preference. It was the Aesthetics and luxury of the MB that won me over.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:17 PM

W203 C240
[QUOTE=GrussGott]
I know all of the MB vets will disagree, but I find the Bimmer to be a much better mod platform not to mention the forums are better to get that specific mod info.

/QUOTE]

Theres alot more out there for bimmers vs. benz even publication wise
Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
its all in other preferances. ill always be biased towards MB.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:33 PM

BMW e46
thanks everybody for the great responses. Now I am wondering what are MB's weaknesses, as far as the C320's go, and do you think these will be addressed in the '05 flavors? thanks again!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:45 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by bmwracer3
thanks everybody for the great responses. Now I am wondering what are MB's weaknesses, as far as the C320's go, and do you think these will be addressed in the '05 flavors? thanks again!
as far as I can tell from the test drive me and my friend took. NONE other than handling and a little less power vs the ZHP.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM

All I can tell you is drive the MB and decide for yourself, in my own experience since I have both 04 325Ci and just picked up my 05 C230K, each car has its own personality. The handling I have to give it to BMW (bigger wheels and H&R cupkit helps and will do the same with the MB) and comfort to MB. I have yet to really test the MB's potential on handling and speed (still breaking the car in). Good luck and you cant go wrong with either or.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:18 PM

C320 Coupe
i don't have too much experience with the 330ci, one of my friends had one and i've driven in it quite a few times. my brother has a 325i, which i am more familiar with. i have a c320 sport coupe. if you want to know some MB weaknesses, it'll be hard for me to think of many because i am obviously biased toward MB, but i'll try my best:

• MB is ranked lower in quality than BMW, but MB has been working on that, and one way is that they're being a bit more conservative in some ways, for example the A/C in the c320 is no more digital display, but rather dials
• the c-class manual was bad prior to the new '05s, but the '05 models are very much improved
• the handling for the c-class was in need of beefing up, esp. in comparison with BMW, but the new '05s come with bigger brakes and an improved suspension that lowered the ride height some (although it's still not comparable to BMW, but for not too much $, you can get AMG sway bars and H&R cup kit and that'll solve that problem entirely)
• MB doesn't have free maintenance for the first 4 yrs or 50,000 miles anymore for '05, which is actually kind of a drag but eh
• some people didn't like the '03/'04 interior, but the '05s have a redesigned interior that, although i love my '03s interior, i will admit is much nicer

hmm, that's all i can think of right now.

i love my c320 coupe. great car, the '05 c320 ss is even better too. good luck with the decision, although i prefer the MB, BMW's are great cars too. let us know what you choose.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Guest0001

Handling is probably the only weakness I can think of, But thats fixed since I got Springs. An MB is with Stock suspension is more of a straight line cruiser.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:52 AM

2014 E350S4
I'd echo most of the comments already made here. Different target audiences for both cars, so first thing you should do is test drive both. Then check out the forums and see what people say about both, on both MB and BMW boards. Finally, go test drive both again and then decide what you want.

MB: NICE interior on the MY05s, no maintenance, not as nice handling, more "name" among the car laypeople

BMW: Interior is driver-oriented but definitely more spartan compared to the MB, better reliability, free maintenance for 4 yr/50k miles, arguably more mod-friendly boards, better handling, firmer/harsher ride, last model year of E46 (good or bad, depending on how you look at it)

You may also want to check out Audi (I can't believe I'm saying this). 1.8T if you want a chill ride that you can easily tune to many, many horses, or 3.0 (as I'd get) if you're a wuss (like me) and want to stay within warranty. They're big, fat, unreliable pigs, but they're a great value within the Germans, and a nice blend of luxury and sport.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by ASADO
All I can tell you is drive the MB and decide for yourself, in my own experience since I have both 04 325Ci and just picked up my 05 C230K, each car has its own personality. The handling I have to give it to BMW (bigger wheels and H&R cupkit helps and will do the same with the MB) and comfort to MB. I have yet to really test the MB's potential on handling and speed (still breaking the car in). Good luck and you cant go wrong with either or.

Nice combo
Old 08-26-2004, 06:45 AM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i test drove the 330i the other day. i agree with what everyone said here and add one more thing. the 330i road and wind noise is really loud compared to the c-class. i drive for long periods of time and road+wind noise is a factor for me in determining whether or not to buy a car.

test drive both on the same day. you'll be better able to make a desicion on all these opinions discussed in this thread by noticing differences between the cars.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:19 AM

2016 E63s AMG
I owned both. Before my New C320 SS I had a 330CI. The BMW is a great car. It looks great from the outside and is very sporty. The ride is great the power is nice. There is one drawback. How many of them do you see on the road? When I had mine the only distinguishing factor was my rims. Pulling into parking lots there were always four other BMW's around. With my new Mercedes it is a bit different. There are not many around yet. Plus the interior compared to the BMW is far better. I like to have a car that you don't see everywhere else. BMW has pumped so many of these cars on the streets that it is hard to drive ten feet with out see another one that might even be the same color. (Silver). So if you want a great car with an amazing ride, great styling, and not as over populated, go for the mercedes. (Get a 320 they have enough power to make you feel great on the road).
Old 08-26-2004, 07:50 AM

CLK320
Originally Posted by Incendiary
You may also want to check out Audi (I can't believe I'm saying this). 1.8T if you want a chill ride that you can easily tune to many, many horses, or 3.0 (as I'd get) if you're a wuss (like me) and want to stay within warranty. They're big, fat, unreliable pigs, but they're a great value within the Germans, and a nice blend of luxury and sport.
Since when? The Audi/VW lineup are notorious for being the most reliable of the "big three" (BMW/MB/Audi). Also, Audi is considered to be the "top brand" in Berlin, while Mercedes holds this prestigous title in the United States. Pre-2005, the A4 also has the best interior of the three (3-Series, A4, C-Class) according to publications such as Edmunds. Personally, I prefer the look of the C-Class and the new interior of the 2005s, but calling the Audi's "Big Fat Unreliable Pigs" is ridiculous. To the contrary, Mercedes currently has larger and less reliable vehicles.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:00 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by Tandrek
Since when? The Audi/VW lineup are notorious for being the most reliable of the "big three" (BMW/MB/Audi). Also, Audi is considered to be the "top brand" in Berlin, while Mercedes holds this prestigous title in the United States. Pre-2005, the A4 also has the best interior of the three (3-Series, A4, C-Class) according to publications such as Edmunds. Personally, I prefer the look of the C-Class and the new interior of the 2005s, but calling the Audi's "Big Fat Unreliable Pigs" is ridiculous. To the contrary, Mercedes currently has larger and less reliable vehicles.
In US mags, BMW is usually the most reliable of the three. Definitely NOT Audi. Hence, the unreliable part of my comments.

Big, fat, and pig refers to their weight, due to the quattro AWD system. I believe every Audi (except maybe the A8, due to the aluminum) is much heavier than the MB and BMW counterparts. BMW < MB < Audi. MB can be pigs, too, don't get me wrong, but not compared to Audi.

I don't know that I'd rate the 05 C interior > A4 just yet, but MB definitely made huge strides with the facelift.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:01 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by ernster
I owned both. Before my New C320 SS I had a 330CI. The BMW is a great car. It looks great from the outside and is very sporty. The ride is great the power is nice. There is one drawback. How many of them do you see on the road? When I had mine the only distinguishing factor was my rims. Pulling into parking lots there were always four other BMW's around. With my new Mercedes it is a bit different. There are not many around yet. Plus the interior compared to the BMW is far better. I like to have a car that you don't see everywhere else. BMW has pumped so many of these cars on the streets that it is hard to drive ten feet with out see another one that might even be the same color. (Silver). So if you want a great car with an amazing ride, great styling, and not as over populated, go for the mercedes. (Get a 320 they have enough power to make you feel great on the road).
Not sure where you live, but in the DC area there are a TON of C-classes as well. Also, MB probably outnumbers BMW as a whole. And actually, it can be a good thing not to stick out, what with thefts and vandalism and stuff...
Old 08-26-2004, 11:08 AM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tandrek
Also, Audi is considered to be the "top brand" in Berlin, while Mercedes holds this prestigous title in the United States.
I just had a little disagreement with that statement. I don't know if you meant Audi was considered a top brand, along with MB, in Berlin, but I read it as Audi was considered a better brand in Germany than MB. And that simply isn't true - MB is considered one of the, if not the, best cars in Germany. Two of my best friends are from Germany and they were telling me, because I asked, that to own a MB in Germany is an indication that you are economically sound, just like in the US MB's are a well respected luxury brand. Audis are respected there too, but MB has the higher rank for reputation in Germany, as well as the US. Just had to clarify that.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Incendiary
Not sure where you live, but in the DC area there are a TON of C-classes as well. Also, MB probably outnumbers BMW as a whole. And actually, it can be a good thing not to stick out, what with thefts and vandalism and stuff...
BMW sell more 3-series than MB does w/ the C-class. That's year by year, not since the introduction of both cars.

also, he meant the sport pkg C320 sedan which you rarely see them. Almost all of them on the road are C240 or C230k sedan.

btw, go check out JDpower.com and compare all 4 cars the A4, C, 3, and the Xtype. You'll see that the 3 has lower mechanical quality rating along w/ the Jag while the A4 and C has higher mechanical quality rating. The 3 has better feature&accessory quality than the A4 and C. The body and interior quality is a tie between the C and the 3, the A4 is behind.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-26-2004 at 03:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 330i vs a SS C320 '05