C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

04' C230 M271 Coolant disappearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport
Angry 04' C230 M271 Coolant disappearing

I am posting to try and figure out what the hell is going on I\with this headache of a car. 2004 c230 M271 engine. Recently replaced head gasket and car started up fine fo 2 days. On the third day, while driving I noticed that the coolant light had come on. Pulled over and refilled coolant and continued to drive. Started running fine again. No overheating and no problems. As I pull into my parking lot the car loses power and steering wheel locks up. I cost to my parking spot. So I pop the hood and notice the coolant is empty once again. I decided to check the oil cap and when I removed it there was creamy MAYO. The head gasket and every other nut and bolt was put on correctly and torqued to spec. I am only getting coolant into the crankcase but no oil in the coolant. Can somebody please help me figure out what is going on. Could it be the inner seal of the water pump letting coolant drain into the timing chain cover? Please help as soon as possible.
Thank You
Old 01-08-2021, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Wouldn't even know where to start looking other than blindly replacing gaskets wherever oil and coolant are separated. The pump would be a good place to start.

The general rule though is to look at what you worked on last, which would be the head gasket. Unless the oil and coolant were already mixing before the head gasket job.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by matt vierling
I am posting to try and figure out what the hell is going on I\with this headache of a car. 2004 c230 M271 engine. Recently replaced head gasket and car started up fine fo 2 days. On the third day, while driving I noticed that the coolant light had come on. Pulled over and refilled coolant and continued to drive. Started running fine again. No overheating and no problems. As I pull into my parking lot the car loses power and steering wheel locks up. I cost to my parking spot. So I pop the hood and notice the coolant is empty once again. I decided to check the oil cap and when I removed it there was creamy MAYO. The head gasket and every other nut and bolt was put on correctly and torqued to spec. I am only getting coolant into the crankcase but no oil in the coolant. Can somebody please help me figure out what is going on. Could it be the inner seal of the water pump letting coolant drain into the timing chain cover? Please help as soon as possible.
Thank You
There was a coolant hose that came loose on my 04 C230 (probably a decade ago) located in the rear driver side of the engine bay. It's connected to a plastic elbow that feeds coolant through the lines of the vehicle. Make sure that isn't blow off because it might come back to position but not be fully fastened.

This happened to me after I replaced my thermostat and did some hard pulls (hard with 180hp is an understatement). The hose popped off and I was able to locate and notice the coolant slightly dumping. Granted it was summer time and around 90* out so it was visible.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport
Could this be the issue.

In the pictures there is obviously a bad O-ring on the third picture which is the top park where the water exits in the water pump the bottom one looks like it is still intact but sagging a little. Could this be the issue.