C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2002 | 09:15 AM

C230 K
Cool European Delivery

My dealer in NJ, Millennium which I recommend, confirmed that my new car C230 Silver, C2, C7, leather has been built. I decided to take the European Delivery Program. I was able to save $1000 (delivery charges + will not have to rent a car in Europe). I can’t wait to drive the car on the Autobahn. I got a great hotel reservation in Lausanne, Switzerland. I’m thinking to get a CD changer form Germany, maybe it will be cheaper, I didn’t want to pay $800. I will post more info after I get back.
Old 05-10-2002 | 10:06 AM

2000 MAZDA PROTEGE
overseas purchases

Welcome, totita

Congrats on the purchase, and the choice to go pick it up! Take plenty of pictures of your experiences,- especially on the Auotbahn.

Regarding the CD purchase in Germany to save some money, I think its a good thing to look into. I'm not positive about Germany's tax rate or VAT, but often its rather high in europe. I know the Czech Republic, which you'll be very close to, has an imbedded tax rate of 22%! This is just great for you, as you are not required to pay taxes in any of these countries (except on food and services). I can't even imagine how much money we've saved collecting "Tax Free" papers across europe in just the last few years. its easy, just get them stamped at the borders or airport terminal, or on the train just ask the conductor for the right on-board official to stamp your "Tax Free" papers and they'll know just what you mean [well, the Hungarians tried to act like we didn't know what we were talking about.]

Anyways, I'm getting to long.... Just check out the prices both in Switzerland and Germany, do the according math to remove their tax percentages, and decide which is your better deal. I promise, you'll feel so lucky to get so many things at such great price.

Oh, the currency exchange rates may also effect where you choose to make your purchase, as the DM may be weaker to the $ than the Swiss frank?

Have a blast and take some Kodachrome along.
Old 05-10-2002 | 10:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I actually looked into that myself, but the timing didn't work out. Did you go for the Black Forest package, or just take the two free hotel room nights?

I'm looking forward to your review of the whole process. Sounds great. I'm going to have to do this with my next purchase, hopefully a 9-3.

Oh, I heard that you should remove the first-aid kit and other stuff from the rear when you drop it off; I think they provide you with the Euro version, and if you don't take it, they take it back when they replace it with the American stuff. Have fun!
Old 05-10-2002 | 10:36 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Re: European Delivery

Originally posted by totita
My dealer in NJ, Millennium which I recommend, confirmed that my new car C230 Silver, C2, C7, leather has been built. I decided to take the European Delivery Program. I was able to save $1000 (delivery charges + will not have to rent a car in Europe). I can’t wait to drive the car on the Autobahn. I got a great hotel reservation in Lausanne, Switzerland. I’m thinking to get a CD changer form Germany, maybe it will be cheaper, I didn’t want to pay $800. I will post more info after I get back.
Congratulations. Not only post some pictures upon your return, but please tell us about the experience. Should be a lot of fun. How is your German?
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by tommy
I'm looking forward to your review of the whole process. Sounds great. I'm going to have to do this with my next purchase, hopefully a 9-3.
9-X3 or the current 9-3? i didn't know saab had a euro delivery program also.
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Yeah, they even were giving away 2 free round-trip tickets and free local hotel stay. From what I've seen, theirs is the best deal for buyers. Of course, that may say something about how well their platforms are doing.

I'm waiting on them to iron out whatever bugs will be present on the new 9-3. Should take a while, as it's more GMish.
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
sounds like a good deal. are you responsible for the luxury tax when you take advantage of the euro delivery program? assuming you just bought a $50k car or something.
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:18 AM

C230 K
European Delivery

Thanks for all the advice! My German is not too good but my aunt lives in Stuttgart. I’m assuming they have English speaking employees at the MB delivery center.
I j took just the two days package. You also get a free meal (70 euro max I think) at the MB restaurant next to the factory, free taxi coupons and a tour of the factory and the museum.
I’m planning to spend my vacation in France not Germany, sorry. I know about the VAT, I think it’s 16% in Germany but I think the dealer has to prepare the papers.
I will post pictures on my return in early June.
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: overseas purchases

Originally posted by BUKOWSKI
Oh, the currency exchange rates may also effect where you choose to make your purchase, as the DM may be weaker to the $ than the Swiss frank?

Actually, the official currency in Germany now is the Euro (as of Feb 2002). The DM is now obsolete. To the best of my knowledge, Switzerland is still using Francs.
Old 05-10-2002 | 09:11 PM

2002 C230K
Other countries???

Are you taking delivery in Lausanne, or at the factory in Germany? If in Lausanne are other countries like spain an option for deliver?
Old 05-10-2002 | 11:45 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
if you are going to be picking up your car in europe, see if you can get an indash cd player to replace your cassette deck. i really want one, but i am going to have to use ebay. you will be able to deal direct with a seller.