C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

AUX input and an iPod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG WAGON
AUX input and an iPod?

I know that you can plug an iPod into the aux input but my question is, what controal (if any) do you have over the iPod from the OEM Mercedes switchgear? Can you use the steering wheel and or radio buttons? Before I rush out and buy an iPod just for the Benz, I'd like to know what kinda functionality I am in for.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's only one brand that allows you to do what you want and that's BMW on certain models with certain radios. Not MB. Heck, with my aux-in on my Comand it won't even save the bass/treble/bal/fade settings once you turn the car off. You will still be able to adjust volume from the steering wheel though. Also consider that you'll also have some ugly power adapter coming out of your ashtray unless you can run on batteries all the time and iPod's aren't known for battery life. The advertise life on the new mini is 8 hours, good luck getting that.

The main reason I haven't gotten an iPod is you can't buy music from anyone but iTunes (won't read wma format of Napster, Walmart, or all others). To add injury to insult, their iTunes software has spyware built in.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E63 Kombi
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
The main reason I haven't gotten an iPod is you can't buy music from anyone but iTunes (won't read wma format of Napster, Walmart, or all others). To add injury to insult, their iTunes software has spyware built in.
Why would you use Napster, when iTunes has the most songs and the best interface? WMA format - go for it, it sounds crappy AAC is so much better. I've never heard of spyware on the program, please elaborate.

As for battery life, the iPod is pretty good, the 4th generation is quite amazing actually. But I use a charger anyway. You can make it look attractive if you put a little effort. Also, you need the volume setting to be at the highest if you're connecting it through a headphone jack to your system.

To answer the first poster's question - so far the only good way of integrating your iPod with your car is to get a new Alpine stereo. They've mastered it and it works great. BMW lets you control the volume and change songs, but that's it. It doesn't let you see the song you're playing, etc. (Alpine's stereo shows it.)

From what I hear, Apple is working with other car manufacturers to integrate the iPod into the stereo, so it's only a matter of time.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:40 PM

GL450 w/ Off-road pkg.
My two cents...

As an iPod owner with a c320, I'm as frustrated as most of the owners of Benzs with fiberoptic in their cars without the AUX. For you, you've got COMAND and the AUX - for now, there are no options for control over an iPod through the car's - MOST or D2B - stereo interface, if you want to stick with OEM tunes. Denison's on hold with our version of the iCELink; you can always get one of the wireless remotes made for the iPod. If you've read the forums, you can find all of this out for yourself. For now, it's a hands-on only situation - it's not that hard to get used to after you get a little practice in.

About iTunes and the iPod, they're great - both products. There's no spyware in iTunes, and you can turn off the option for the iTMS. The Windows version offers parity with the Mac version, going one better by importing WMA songs (starting with version 4.6); the Mac version hasn't that ability. From the Advanced menu, iTunes has the ability to convert any song in its library to an MP3 - if you buy a song from the iTMS, it's as simple to get it from AAC to MP3. QED.

I wouldn't give up the iPod for anything. My CD changer keeps me sane! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why would I not want to be limited to a buck a song at iTunes, hmm, lets see, Walmart charges 88 cents but heck, that's too expensive, how about realtunes charging 49 cents, hmm, that's better, maybe one of those has a song that iTunes doesn't, possible, I think so. It's just a monopoly, when other companies start selling songs in MP3 or AAC format then maybe I'll consider an iPod, until then, it's just a toy.

Also, iTunes software browses your music directory to recomend songs to buy, blatent spyware designed to provide targeted marketing, sorry, not something I want on my PC.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle

Also, iTunes software browses your music directory to recomend songs to buy, blatent spyware designed to provide targeted marketing, sorry, not something I want on my PC.
With all due respect, iTunes DOES NOT INSTALL SPYWARE. In fact, iTunes is locked software that contains porting to a single source...Apple Computer. They base their suggestions on what you've purchased. Period.

Want spyware? Try Kazaa or Limewire.....Apple doesn't play that, homie.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Call it what you want, if they are keeping track of your habits and what you have on your hard drive it's spyware. Sure, Kazaa uses external spyware from other companies like AOL does with Instant Messenger but Apple does it internally within their software but the intent is the same, to spy on you to target marketing campaigns, in this case songs you may like to buy. Besides, I use Kazaa lite, no spyware.

So if you prefer to remain in denial, stick your head back in the sand and enjoy.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:02 PM

C32 AMG 2002
I got a creative nomad, plays all formats.... plug into my aux....keep paying that buck a song, its noble work you do...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
so what else, besides iPod, can I hook up to my AUX-in via COMAND ????
Old 08-30-2004, 02:46 AM

GL450 w/ Off-road pkg.
Lightbulb If it were me and i had some way to get music into my Benz?

I'd be getting an XM Roady2, which I'll be getting anyway for my work-related trips in rentals in hotel rooms. That, my trusty old Bose powered portable speakers, and my iPod get my girl dancin' out by the lake - good enough for me!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saprissa
so what else, besides iPod, can I hook up to my AUX-in via COMAND ????
I use my Comand Aux-In with my XM Roady in my ashtray. It is a pain to use because there's not a single button to activate Aux, you have to go through the service menu.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
I also have satellite radio "SIRIUS" hooked up through my AUX input, I listen to it way more than my ipod mini. But then I gotta hook up the ipod when I'm in the mood for one of my favorite mixes! I need to hook up a splitter to my Aux input so I dont have to switch up the connections every time.

The wireless FM modulators also work okay if you don't have a COMAND, but direct line in is higher quality.

I wish the COMAND stored the EQ settings too!!! hate having to set it every time.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:30 AM

c-320 sports sedan
where is the aux-in on comand? I have comand but don't realize that there's an aux in built in
Old 09-01-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
For the '05 COMMAND, there is a stereo pin jack on the right front wall of the glove box. Select the AUX input softkey after pressing the AUDIO pushbutton.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On our antique W203's, the jack is in the glove box if you bought the car with Comand and you press the SVC button, select AUX and select sound if you want to change bass/treble/bal/fad. If you installed your own or had Steve do it and don't have aux, then check my website for the Comand WIS and install the jack yourself. Instead of getting the harness I cut off the wire/stereo plug from old cheap headphones and wired that in so that it's in my ashtray where I would keep my sat radio or iPod. Another good place is to have it come out the cuholder since the power is already there.