C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 pre-facelift coupe cargo cover - string PN?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
W203 pre-facelift coupe cargo cover - string PN?

So today I noticed that one of the retractable strings on the cargo area cover of my coupe has frayed and is about to snap. Looks like the cord can't just be replaced alone as it disappears inside the hole. Anyone know the PN for the spool mechanism?

**update** The PN for the spool assembly is A203-690-00-95. There are different colour codes suffixes that go after the 95. The code for anthacite (very dark grey, just shy of black) is 9B51. This is a single assembly that includes the spring loaded spool and the cord. Unfortunately because of the way this thing is built, the cord alone cannot be replaced. One end has been molded into the part that clips into the plastic knob on the hatch, and the other end is embedded inside the spool mechanism.

The PN for the entire cargo cover (includes both spools preinstalled) is A203-690-33-49. Once again a colour code suffix is needed.

According to the dealer MB EPC, the same 3349 cover was installed in all cars between 2002 and late 2003, yet somehow the the 0095 spool assembly is shown to fit only cars built between 2002 and early 2003. How that is possible is completely beyond me. Fortunately the dealer was still willing to override the system and order the spool assembly, with the disclaimer that the part could not be refunded because the system showed it would not fit my VIN. I rolled the dice and got both the PN and colour correct. Go figure.

There is no practical way to remove the spool mechanism without damaging it as the mechanism assembly is clipped into the socket real good. The gap around the socket was so tight that I couldn't even stick a piece of paper inside. After studying some pictures online, I decided to cut out the mechanism as shown below with a rotary tool. I then popped out the middle chunk with a slot screwdriver. The remaining perimeter piece could then be easily removed by hand.

There are 3 hooks in total, all on the curved part. 1 on each side (see photo below), and one in the middle of the curved part (ie opposite to the pointy end). There are no hooks on the straight parts or the pointy end.

Dremel lines (1 hook visible)

Spool mechanism showing clock spring (spool is flipped upside down in photo)

Spool position when installed. Note the broken cord end

Hopefully this information saves someone else a bunch of trouble in the future.

Last edited by slammer111; 03-16-2021 at 07:06 AM.