C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CD-Changer installation in '02 C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Hi all!

I bought my beautiful black c230k the other day. While I got a great price on the car, I could not get the dealer to move below $775 for the cd changer -- well forget that.

As you can imagine, I was really excited about finding this thread (thanks for posting the directions Pete). I just have a few questions.

(1) Do I need to take my car with a newly installed cd changer to the dealership to have them sync my computer and the car computer?

(2) What tools do I need?

(3) There are things in the directions that I've never hear of (such as suspension spring setting ), when I'm taking my car apart, is it pretty apparent what these things are?

Thanks

Beth
Old 02-03-2002, 11:59 AM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Seriously - this is not an "easy" install. If you're not pretty mechanical and skilled with this stuff, I wouldn't do this at home. There is more to it than what is shown in the directions kindly provided by Pete.
You have to pry the shifter trim out, release the clips that hold the ashtray in, then pull the silver clips that hold the center aluminum trim downward with a flat-blade screwdriver.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:58 PM

Silver C230K Coupe
Re: CD-Changer installation in '02 C-Class

Originally posted by Pete
This should be enough to get people started.

Remember: getting the air nozzle and center console cover off are the two most difficult steps. The scans are up, for these steps.

http://www.stormpages.com/arialis/mb/changer/index.html

~Pete

peter_j_arialis@hotmail.com
Pete,
Lurked this thread, pulled the instructions and last night installed the CD Changer from Autoclass.net in 2002 C-Coupe (W203) Works like a charm. Took about an hour including taking photos of everything. Thanks for the great info. CD Changer was recognized by the rest of the Bose system, steering wheel controls all work and best of all - NO EXTRA PARTS when I was finished. Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2002, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Pete,

Since the car is at the dealer, tell him to have the radio recognize the CD player - should do it gratis.

For everyone else, next time car is in for service, have the tech do the recognition - hopefully, they won't charge. They shouldn't, if they're doing it already
Old 07-16-2002, 04:40 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
anyone want a photo how-to?

pete - your instructions are great - i wish i found them before i took on the project of installing my own handsfree kit for my nokia 8290 - but having done that i figured out how to take apart the entire dash, making the cd changer install a very easy task.

i took pictures of my installation experience and put together a how-to. anyone that wants my photo tutorial - let me know. i should post it online, but i'm lazy - i'll have it up within the week or so... for now i'll just email it to you - it's in PDF format so you'll need the acrobat reader to view it.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
I want to know how to take off the panel!

davidasman

I want to know how to take off the panel, please email me at polo_jcp@yahoo.com I have difficulty taking off the panel for C coupe.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:19 AM

C230K Sports Coupe
Help!! Wrong Cable?!?

I've got the dashboard apart, and started to hook up the cable supplied by AutoClass, but I don't know how to hook it up. It *seems* like it's the wrong cable. There's only one "plug" end which I assumed went into the back of the CD-changer. But then what? The posted instructions said to take the two-paired orange cable from the back of the radio and tuck it away but what goes into the empty slot in the cassette/radio head unit? How does the signal get from the CD-changer to the head unit? Is the other odd-shaped thing in the supplied cable supposed to connect to something? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 07-26-2002, 12:23 AM

C230K Sports Coupe
Picture of Cable I have

This is what AutoClass supplied. Is it correct?
Old 07-26-2002, 11:08 AM

MB C240, 2002
Reprogramming; Ashtray tunnel locks

Folks,
I installed my CD changer a couple of months ago using Pete's posting and have never had to reprogram anything. It works fine, can be controlled from the steering wheel or head unit, and is used daily.
When I installed it, I did not disconnect the battery, and did not disconnect the radio (thinking that loss of power may contribute to the reprogramming requirement).

Also, on the lower locks for the console cover, I found I could open the ashtray cover half-way, then slide a thin-blade screwdriver between the top of the half-open ashtray and the bottom of the console cover to snap the locks down. When you put it back together, make sure the ashtray is open (you might scratch the cover with the un-snapped locks), then when everything is in position, close the ashtray half-way and use the same screwdriver to push in and lock the locks.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:23 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Re: Picture of Cable I have

Originally posted by Bobaloo
That's the correct cable...assuming you ordered the cable corresponding to whether or not you have the BOSE system. There is a different cable for the base sound. Be sure to keep that green cap on the D-shaped end until you install it as any dirt or oil that gets on the optical out can effect its performance. If you pull up gently on the metal clip on the looped end of the cable you will release the 2 optical leads from the black cartridge. When installing the changer it is only necessary that you release the red lead from the changer cable and the red lead from the cable inside the dash and switch the 2.

email me @ david@asman.com for my photo-how-to on the entire installation process.

good luck.

david

Last edited by davidasman; 07-28-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:53 AM

C230 K
Re: Picture of Cable I have

Originally posted by Bobaloo
Do you still have the part number for your optical cable. I went to my dealership today and they gave me a cable. Unfortunately the part number does not match the part number from autoclass.net fro a non Bose head unit. My part number is A2035403308. Does anybody know if it's the same optical cable from autoclass.net with the part number Q6820670. They sure look the same.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
still confused

I've read this thread and a few others about the OEM cassete radio and cd changer and am confused. I thought the system came prewired for the changer. I have the Bose system.

This is an '02 C230 coupe I bought this past weekend in Nothern NJ.

Logic would make me think that if the system is prewired, all I'd need to do is mount the cd changer and connect the optic/power cables.

I've seen changers on ebay for about 250. I am hoping that installation is simple and that I can save money on installation.

Please clue me in as I hate making mix tapes.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by BeaverMjr
I've read this thread and a few others about the OEM cassete radio and cd changer and am confused. I thought the system came prewired for the changer. I have the Bose system.

This is an '02 C230 coupe I bought this past weekend in Nothern NJ.

Logic would make me think that if the system is prewired, all I'd need to do is mount the cd changer and connect the optic/power cables.

I've seen changers on ebay for about 250. I am hoping that installation is simple and that I can save money on installation.

Please clue me in as I hate making mix tapes.
Kinda... Yes, the system is "prewired". No, prewiring, in this case, does not mean plug-n-play. The power cable for the CD changer is bundled behind the radio (in most cases, though there have been accounts of power cables being located elsewhere). The fiber optic cable, on the other hand, is located in the trunk, unattached. Search the forum on specifics there - easier than me typing it, sorry. Then follow the various installation guides that are available to connect the changer.

I would say the installation is very simple, however, that's relative to my scale of simplicity. Read over one of the install guides and see if you can follow. The one I wrote, which I believe is still available online somewhere - if not email me - I like to think is easy to follow.

I wouldn't chance it though, if you're second guessing yourself, spend the extra $50 or so and have a car audio installer do the work.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM

2015 C350 Coupe
Am I correct in my learning?

Please someone verify that my learning process has occured and that I have learned correctly. I have a 2002 C230 coupe.

1. The cd changer on the C230 coupe gets installed in the glove box on the top shelf.

2. I could use velcro to mount the changer but should probably use the metal bracket. can someone please tell me which bracket I need?

3. I can buy a changer from a benz dealer(way too expensive), ebay, or a car audio shop. What is the model number of the changer that is designed for the 2002 C230 coupe?

4. In order to connect the changer to the audio system, I need to get to the back of the radio. I have the bose system and am unsure what extra is involved, if anything?

5. When I buy the changer, it would be easier to have a car audio shop install the cd changer.

If the above is correct and someone is able to clue me in as to the model of the cd changer and bracket that I need, I'll be on happy driver.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:08 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by BeaverMjr
Please someone verify that my learning process has occured and that I have learned correctly. I have a 2002 C230 coupe.

1. The cd changer on the C230 coupe gets installed in the glove box on the top shelf.

2. I could use velcro to mount the changer but should probably use the metal bracket. can someone please tell me which bracket I need?

3. I can buy a changer from a benz dealer(way too expensive), ebay, or a car audio shop. What is the model number of the changer that is designed for the 2002 C230 coupe?

4. In order to connect the changer to the audio system, I need to get to the back of the radio. I have the bose system and am unsure what extra is involved, if anything?

5. When I buy the changer, it would be easier to have a car audio shop install the cd changer.

If the above is correct and someone is able to clue me in as to the model of the cd changer and bracket that I need, I'll be on happy driver.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Q 6 82 0669
3. Yes; usually; perhaps, depending on the store. 203 820 9089
4. Correct. You will need a fiber optic cable to add the changer to the FO loop. This *might* be found under the plastic panel in the hatch area (behind the spare). Q 6 82 0669
5. Depends on your ability. If you're unsure, leave it to someone else to do it. No need to damage your new car. I have an install guide I made up with photos detailing each step. If you would like a copy, send me a PM.

I'm not *positive* on the part numbers for the mounting bracket and changer. It's possible that those are the reference numbers used by the company I ordered my changer from. STF or call your local dealership.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:44 AM

2015 C350 Coupe
model numbers

The model numbers you gave me did not jive with a google search. Please someone help me by providing the model number of the cd changer, bracket and any cables needed for a 2002 C230 coupe.

Last edited by BeaverMjr; 09-01-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
call the parts dept. at you local dealer for the part numbers. then when you are armed with those perform your google search.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:06 PM

S 500
cord?

Ok I dont have bose and Ive bought the changer on ebay. Now all I need is the non bose optic cord(D2Bcable) 2035403408. Is this correct? Where can I find one for cheap(dealer wants about 75)?

Thanks for the help,

Eric
Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
Re Eric

My was a 2002, I actually got the cable from inside of the head unit. There is a cable routed and lead to nowhere, I took that cable out of the loop and used that one. I forgot exactly which loop now, but if you follow the optical cable out of your head unit or behind it you might be able to find it.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:38 PM

S 500
Did you have bose? Does anyone else know where I can get the cable if I cant find it? I assume that this is a pretty common problem.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 08:02 PM

Can You Send Me A Photo Install Please?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Any one know the pins to connect on the c1 and c2 plugs for power on the cd changer???

I have a new cd-changer from MB and all wires, but I have the power cable that I have to put two connectors on the the end of the cable but where do I put them on the C1 and c2 plugs???

just to confirm guys

(c1 -> pin 5 power -)
(c1 -> pin 6 power +)

PS: retrofited comand with c1 and c2 adapter