C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CD-Changer installation in '02 C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550 Roadster
Post CD-Changer installation in '02 C-Class

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to post this.

I promise that I'll make it _much_ more comprehensive, this weekend.

I'll post follow-ups to this thread, as I update the page.

This should be enough to get people started.

Remember: getting the air nozzle and center console cover off are the two most difficult steps. The scans are up, for these steps.

http://www.stormpages.com/arialis/mb/changer/index.html

~Pete

peter_j_arialis@hotmail.com
Old 11-30-2001, 07:46 AM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
Thanks a lot Pete...It is a big help to many people in the forum.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
Hi Pete, do u have original MB manual shows how to take away the climate control panel? If you do, can u send it to me? thanks
Old 11-30-2001, 03:46 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
Arrow Climate-control panel

Addy,

The "climate-control panel" is accessible (i.e. it comes off), once you take off the cover on the center cosole. There is a diagram, with instructions, on removing the central console cover, on the page that I previously mentioned. It shows it pretty clearly in the diagram that the climate-control panel is attached to the central console cover and comes off when the cover is taken off. To completely remove the cover, you must disconnect the wires, which can be done with a small, flat-head screwdriver.

As I said before, I'll update the page, this weekend, most likely on Sunday afternoon.

~Pete
Old 12-05-2001, 03:02 PM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
Pete, great info and can't wait to see your update info on next week. Thanks !!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:11 PM

Red face CD Changer Install

I was just at the MB dealer parts dept and mentioned that a friend was going to install the MB CD Changer from Auto Class and he said, he has to be "PROGRAMMED" or the car radio computer will never see it. It this true????

Bill
Old 12-05-2001, 03:25 PM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
Bill, according to Pete, he did it all by himself and it works fine so far. He said he'll update more info on this issue over the weekend. So, I guess the info from your dealer may not be corrected answer.

Pete, if you have any info on your CD changer, I mean any fault code displayed on your system, please let us know too. Thanks !!

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2001, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The CD player sits on the D2B fibre optic ring, along with any of the following - phone. teleaid, vcs, 2nd-phone, digital-bose-amp
[dunno if you have the digital bose amp on the C class]

In the "old" days, the head unit was programmed to tell it what was on the ring. This is still true, but the units now detect what is on the ring, compare it with the stored settings and log a fault if its different.

Some items need specifc configuration in the head unit [cant remember what, but I think phone needs this] so wont work unless the dealer has configured it. The CD player is *not* one of those. So you can just plug it in and it works

However, my friendly dealer says that if the stored setting doesnt match the actual settings often "odd" things happen, especially with COMAND.

To me this means that you should plug it together and get them to store the settings at the next service [i.e when they have the diagnostic box plugged in and wont charge you [much] to do the work]

Hope that helps - R
Old 12-05-2001, 04:36 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
No fault codes, so far...

All,

So far, I still haven't received any fault codes. I believe that it's been 1 month, since I installed the changer.

The car is actually at the dealer, as we speak. I'm having them disable the speed-sensitive volume-control, because it's really annoying.

I'll have some time tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon/evening, so I'll update the changer installation pages, then.

~Pete
Old 12-05-2001, 04:55 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
Richard,

Yes, I believe that the Bose amp does reside on the D2B ring, if one has the Bose "premium" sound-system. I believe this is true, because the only "output" (that I saw on mine) on the back of the head-unit was a "SOUND OUT" (labeled) fiber, which (presumably) goes to the amplifier. By "the only output," I mean that I didn't see any analog (or digital-electrical) line-out or speaker-level outputs from the head-unit.

What you said about what the units detect and what has been programmed into the ring makes much more sense than what my dealer said. The person I spoke with (who allegedly does all of the phone, CD-changer, Command, and Tele-Aid installations for my dealership) was quite a bit more cryptic than that and didn't explain satisfactorily why I may or may not have any problems.

Thanks for the info.

~Pete
Old 12-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Pete...

It's really great you are posting the procedure for removing the console, etc., but when I click on the link in your original post, I'm not getting to your link (at this point in time). I'm thinking it's down.

When you update the information later, can you incorporate all the information (original and update) in one post with an updated url? Maybe you're already planning this, so I apologize in advance for being a pest. Thanks loads.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Can someone explain to me how the chagner fits into the brackett? I am lost on that and can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 12-20-2001, 11:11 AM

2007 SL550 Roadster
wizkid,

There are two "tabs" on the outside edge of the bracket, which are perpendicular to the edge of the bracket. These will be at the top-front-left and top-front-right corners of the changer, when the bracket is mounted correctly. The tab without the screw-hole will be in the top-front-left corner, and the tab with the screw-hole will be in the top-front-right corner. Does this help?

MB-BOB,

I posted the URL below again, and it appears to be working, as of this time. I apologize that the updated pages aren't available, yet. Things have been pretty hectic, lately. I've written them, but I haven't checked them for errors or had a chance to upload them, yet. I will post a new thread, once I do this. Thanks for the feedback.

~Pete

http://www.stormpages.com/arialis/mb/changer/
Old 12-20-2001, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Pete,
Make sure you have the service guy set the Audio Pilot to "-0 db". I took mine in to get this done, and they set it to "-9" db...now the damned thing virtually shuts itself off when I slow down, close a window or the roof!

I called on my way home, told them what they did wrong, and they admitted they didn't know much about resetting it. So, I asked him to verify the settings. There are 4 levels -0, -3, -6, -9 db(-6 is default).

Each incremental change reflects quieter sound levels at any change to the interior noise environment. The caveat to all this: at higher volumes, the volume does NOT automatically change. At lower volumes, it no longer raises back to the previously set level.

Arrrrrrgh! They'll fix it, or I'll find another service center.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:02 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Pete, thank you. I can see the directions now. Good enough to show what needs to be done. Did you happen to see directions from the same source on how to disassemble the lower console (from ashtray to armrest)? I want to hardwire a compass to the cig lighter, but am afraid to pry-up that pretty wood trim around the transmission lever without busting it. If not, no biggie. I appreciate all you've done so far.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:02 PM

C230 Black, 6 speed, c2
Question Center air nozzle removal

Pete,

I was looking at your instructions and at my car and I can't figure out how to "unlock" the locks for the center air nozzle, can you lend me some guidance in how to do this? Thanks for the great info. And if anyone else knows how to do this feel free to let me know, I worked at it for a while, but didn't want to break anything in my new car.

Mario
Old 01-10-2002, 10:39 AM

2007 SL550 Roadster
MB-BOB,

No, unfortunately I do not have documentation regarding the removal of that piece (from ashtray to armrest).

The cigarette lighter is not switched with the ignition (is it?), so why don't you hardwire the compass into the fuse-box located near the driver's side door? You can run the wire behind the center console piece (whose removal is described on the changer installation page). It's right above the ashtray compartment.

-Pete
Old 01-10-2002, 01:22 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Bob,
On my car, the shifter trim comes out by siply lifting up on the front of it (near the ashtray). It's held in by springy clips and just snaps in and out. I'd guess the sedans are like that, too.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:23 PM

CD Changer Install

Pete:
Are you asking me about the CD Changer install? If so let me know? It's really easy to install, you don't really need the mounting kit, Velcro will do the trick. I enjoy mine very much.

Bill
Old 01-24-2002, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
Need some more instructions

I want to know how to remove the ashtray, I am still confused, and also about the wiring.
I got a cd-changer from e320, I also found some fiberoptical wire in the trunk of the c230k coupe, but I am not sure how to connect them on to the radio, need some more help.

Did anyone actually install their own cd-changer other than pete? I really want to install it myself, and I need more instructions. Thanks~
Old 01-25-2002, 12:08 AM

Talking CD Changer Install

Yes, Pete, I installed my Changer, well MB did. My radio would not recognize the changer so had to go to dealer to have it "programmed" they installed for $200. Then I found out that my regular service guy at MB would have programmed the radio to accept the changer free of charge, could have saved another $200, but live and learn. I bought the changer from that place in Florida. Let me know if you need more info. It is a VERY, VERY easy process.

Bill
Old 01-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Exclamation YES BILL I DO NEED INFO!

Bill
I need to find out how to take out the ash tray, I have done everything according the the direction given by pete, but I have problem removing the ash tray, I know the fiber optical cables are hidden behind the central panel too, I see it already, but cannot gain access to it, because I cannot take out the ash tray, which means I cannot take out the central panel completely!!!

So if you can tell me how you removed the ash tray, it will be great help!

HELP HELP~ my central panel is half taken out, the work is only 1/2 done, I want to finish the job, so need instructions fast!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Unhappy Question for Pete or anyone that has actually removed their center console

In the posting by Pete, on the page about removingand the center console, the third step says to open locks(2) in ashtray housing tunnel, what is that mean exactly? After I take out the ash tray, what do I do? I lift the panel until I see the locks and push on it? or what??? I need some help, this step is really confusing... and it is very important regarding removing the center console...
Old 01-25-2002, 08:15 AM

Center Ashtray???

I did not have to remove the ashtray in my SLK, the radio pops out by unlatching the latch behind to slits at the bottom right and left side of the radio. You can then reach in and grab the fibre optic cable for the changer and attach it to the Radio. I did not remove the ashtray. What car are you installing it in?

Bill
Old 01-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Almost a Member!

My is a 2002 C-Coupe

Bill

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CD-Changer installation in '02 C-Class