C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW 335i Convertible; SOLD*2004.5 C230 Sedan*SOLD
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Appleguy, thanks for the tip, I think I may get one. (I don't want to shell out the $300 for the iPod integration kit.)

They have versions that work...
http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

that's the one that I was going to get...

*edit* I just realized something, I have my ipod turned up all the way b/c the volume on the aux is pretty low. so if I add this line-in, my volume may be waaay too low. anyone know of anything like this that is also a built in amplifier?

*edit 2* NVM, I found one... http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794

Now it's just trying to see if I can get a cigarette lighter cable that'll extend and tuck neatly to my glovebox.
The 30 pin dock connector on the bottom of the iPod is an amplified line out. So it will still be louder than your 1/8" audio connector on your ipod if it was turned all the way up.

It does work on any iPod that has the 30 pin dock connector. I am using it on my iPod mini, 30GB iPod photo, as well as my Nano and Video iPod.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 PM

2006 c230
Hi everyone. I just receieved my 2006 c230, and was wondering if anyone installed the aux input cable yet. I took appart my right door sill and did not see the cable connector. Have they maybe moved it from the previous year? I also looked at the glove box, and do not see where the end of the jack should go. Any of you have any luck? THanks for all your help!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:26 AM

2008 BMW 335i Convertible; SOLD*2004.5 C230 Sedan*SOLD
Hey Guys, I know that this may have been posted elsewhere, but I wanted to show you my set up on my c230 Sedan.

I purchased the iPod cradle from my local dealership and I routed an 1/8" audio cable from the AUX port to my center console arm rest.

Last edited by appleguy; 10-29-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:26 AM

2000 S-Class
Can anyone help me out. I'm planning to do this upgrade on my 2000 S430? Hey Carlos can you help me out. I read through this whole 5pge post and still no answers. Thanks for any input!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
JUST DID IT!! thanks everyone!

I did it! I completed my installation on my 05' C230K sedan (no navigation) over the weekend. Ordered the cable harness from MB dealer and a 7-feet Monster MP3Connect 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini plug. The whole process took me about 5 hours because i am a totally noob in this thing. The task might not be easy for first-timer but it's not very difficult either. To remove the A-pillar, you would need a T25 Trox (Star) screwdriver that i got it from Walmart cheap. Everything else (i.e. the door sill and the glove box side panel) you can remove and reassemble by your hand. My Monster cable is long enough that I routed it under the floor mat to my center arm rest, which works great allowing me to control my iPod without stretching my arm.

The sound quality of the AUX input is not as good as CD, which is to be expected. It is, however, much better and interference-free than my iTrip FM transmitter. I feel like my car is completed after getting this done - I don't have to feel bad of my car when i see those new BMW and Lexus which have this preinstalled already.

Those of you who like to do this you are welcome to ask me if you have any questions. Again i did this with my 05' C230 sedan so i won't be sure about other models.

Thanks to all the people in this thread. I wish i can help some people out too :p
Old 10-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by eckc21
I did it! I completed my installation on my 05' C230K sedan (no navigation) over the weekend. Ordered the cable harness from MB dealer and a 7-feet Monster MP3Connect 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini plug. The whole process took me about 5 hours because i am a totally noob in this thing. The task might not be easy for first-timer but it's not very difficult either. To remove the A-pillar, you would need a T25 Trox (Star) screwdriver that i got it from Walmart cheap. Everything else (i.e. the door sill and the glove box side panel) you can remove and reassemble by your hand. My Monster cable is long enough that I routed it under the floor mat to my center arm rest, which works great allowing me to control my iPod without stretching my arm.

The sound quality of the AUX input is not as good as CD, which is to be expected. It is, however, much better and interference-free than my iTrip FM transmitter. I feel like my car is completed after getting this done - I don't have to feel bad of my car when i see those new BMW and Lexus which have this preinstalled already.

Those of you who like to do this you are welcome to ask me if you have any questions. Again i did this with my 05' C230 sedan so i won't be sure about other models.

Thanks to all the people in this thread. I wish i can help some people out too :p
FIVE HOURS!?!?! dude, I hope you did some custom wiring because 5 hours to install the aux is waaay too long... It was my first time too, but I didn't take over an hour. if you did do a custom wiring or placement, post pics!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
FIVE HOURS!?!?! dude, I hope you did some custom wiring because 5 hours to install the aux is waaay too long... It was my first time too, but I didn't take over an hour. if you did do a custom wiring or placement, post pics!
Five hours including lunch, figuring out the screw type, and a trip to walmart for the screwdriver. It took me long because I was exeremely careful doing it, didn't want to break anything in pieces in this baby of mine. Glad i didn't.

No i did not do any custom wiring, just running the mini plug cable under the floor mat. My only complain is that my cable is kinda fat (as Monster always makes high quality cables) and so the glove box cannot be closed completely unless i pressed it hard, which damaged the outer rubber of the cable. I guess it's a minor problem cuz the cable is durable and i don't always need to open and close my glove box.

By the way, the total parts cost me $71 ($43+$22+$6) if you want to know how much you will spend.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eckc21
Five hours including lunch, figuring out the screw type, and a trip to walmart for the screwdriver. It took me long because I was exeremely careful doing it, didn't want to break anything in pieces in this baby of mine. Glad i didn't.

No i did not do any custom wiring, just running the mini plug cable under the floor mat. My only complain is that my cable is kinda fat (as Monster always makes high quality cables) and so the glove box cannot be closed completely unless i pressed it hard, which damaged the outer rubber of the cable. I guess it's a minor problem cuz the cable is durable and i don't always need to open and close my glove box.

By the way, the total parts cost me $71 ($43+$22+$6) if you want to know how much you will spend.
haha, ok... then it's not so bad.

I used Belkin's PureAV and they're too big too. The connectors were also too big so they would fall out of the aux input pretty frequently...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Monster Cables

Monster cables are nice......nice and expensive. There is no real need for anyone to use them with the aux input jack. The sound that arrives in your ears will be identical if you use this cable:

http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=10A3-06

It is only $ 2.50 delivered! It won't fall out of the jack because of less mass. It is also thin enough to be shut in the glovebox door. Almost all, meaning shielded, cables that come with five buck PC speakers work fine too.

Monster cables do have their place. On the peg at Best Buy, poised to generate enough profit so that the manager (my nephew) can buy a Mercedes-Benz.

To be fair, Monster cables are made of quality materials, are durable, and the company stands behind their product.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Moviela
Monster cables are nice......nice and expensive. There is no real need for anyone to use them with the aux input jack. The sound that arrives in your ears will be identical if you use this cable:

It is only $ 2.50 delivered! It won't fall out of the jack because of less mass. It is also thin enough to be shut in the glovebox door. Almost all, meaning shielded, cables that come with five buck PC speakers work fine too.

Monster cables do have their place. On the peg at Best Buy, poised to generate enough profit so that the manager (my nephew) can buy a Mercedes-Benz.

To be fair, Monster cables are made of quality materials, are durable, and the company stands behind their product.
yeah, Monster's are pretty pricey... but for video quality, I can "see" it.

I use a cable that came with my sony headphones, they're gold plated and really really thin, so no probs closing the glovebox.

would you know where I could get a cable that would essentially just "extend" the cigarette lighter jack, so that I could plug that in, close the cover, and then run it to my glovebox and plug in whatever I need there?

thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
In video producion suites, Monster video cables are called "K-Mart Kables." If you want to "see" the difference connect your HD Sat receiver to your monitor with these:
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?obje...4F913FB44EB9F0

For lighter extension, try the 99 cent store, Fry's, or here:

[url]http://www.partsexpress.com/

use keword lighter

Last edited by Moviela; 11-01-2005 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

In video producion suites, Monster video cables are called "K-Mart Kables." If you want to "see" the difference connect your HD Sat receiver to your monitor with these:
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?obje...4F913FB44EB9F0

For lighter extension, try the 99 cent store, Fry's, or here:

[url]http://www.partsexpress.com/

use keword lighter
cool, thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:44 AM

05' C230K Sport Sedan

I agree that Monster cables are very expansive, and that you can't really hear the difference. However, as both an electrical engineer (signal transfer theory expertise) and a guitar player, I am quite picky in those "signal transfer" fantasy. And I know material DOES makes a difference.

Monster cable offer lifetime warranty on most of their cables, although you hardly are going to need it. I have two sets of Monster guitar cables and it has been more than 3 years I am still using the same cables - never failed me. Our lead guitarist did not believe in Monster power and ended up buying a lot of cheap cables that kept broken up during our extensive practices and performances. It drove us crazy many times that his guitar did not have sound during the gigs. I am pretty sure that the amount of money he has put in for all the cables was enough to buy a few sets of Monster's. And according to Guitar Center, if, by any chance, my Monster guitar cables are not working, just bring them into any Guitar Center and they will replce them - no proof of purchase needed and no question asked - for life! That's the power of Monster!

I really wouldn't mind to make the manager at Best Buy buy a mercedes-benz. Many of us here buy mercedes-benz so that the owners of MB dealers can buy porsche for themselves and mercedes-benz for their kids. :p
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
nice thread! im new to the MB just got my first MB a 2005 C230. it has the 6disc cd changer and that HU that was shown in the first thread. thats good and all about the AUX IN, but what i want to really know, if its possible to hook up the ipod directlyh to the HU and use the HU controls to control the ipod like if the ipod was a CD changer (bypassing the OEM cd changer possibly) the aux solution is not that bad but i like the idea of keeping my ipod out of sight. this is the set up i had in my previous car: kenwood aftermarket HU, Kenwood Ipod adapter, full sound system (amps, woofersm, etc) it was the BEST i could see track titles, artist, playlist, everyting on my HU display and used the remote to change tracks, ply lists. now this would be great to control my ipod thorugh the steering wheel controls :-P thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by drho2004
nice thread! im new to the MB just got my first MB a 2005 C230. it has the 6disc cd changer and that HU that was shown in the first thread. thats good and all about the AUX IN, but what i want to really know, if its possible to hook up the ipod directlyh to the HU and use the HU controls to control the ipod like if the ipod was a CD changer (bypassing the OEM cd changer possibly) the aux solution is not that bad but i like the idea of keeping my ipod out of sight. this is the set up i had in my previous car: kenwood aftermarket HU, Kenwood Ipod adapter, full sound system (amps, woofersm, etc) it was the BEST i could see track titles, artist, playlist, everyting on my HU display and used the remote to change tracks, ply lists. now this would be great to control my ipod thorugh the steering wheel controls :-P thanks
Yes it is if you are a MOST expert...very few people are, and what would be the demand for this over the current solution?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Ted Bullo
Yes it is if you are a MOST expert...very few people are, and what would be the demand for this over the current solution?
I think the "current solution" provides no track info on the HU display, and drho says, " i could see track titles, artist, playlist, everything on my HU display and used the remote to change tracks, play lists. now this would be great to control my ipod thorugh the steering wheel controls"
That's seems like it would better, if admittedly more difficult.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 AM

Dia Blk '06 C230
anyone figure out if this is possible on an '06? the hole is definately not in the glovebox...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pilotbo
anyone figure out if this is possible on an '06? the hole is definately not in the glovebox...
what happens when you press and hold the CDC button? does it say "input active"?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Dia Blk '06 C230
what happens when you press and hold the CDC button? does it say "input active"?
yep.

like i said no hole in the glovebox (or spot to poke it out), so im wondering if it isnt prewired either? if so, darn.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

yep.

like i said no hole in the glovebox (or spot to poke it out), so im wondering if it isnt prewired either? if so, darn.
I say just get a torx driver and open up the panel. that's the only way you'll find out... I'm sure it has to be pre-wired. good luck!

btw, I forgot to mention. I never saw the hole from the glovebox area. but when I opened the panel, the perforation showed in the back and it was easy to pop out. I think it's the texture on the velvet or whatever it is...

Last edited by nlpamg; 12-15-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by eddieo45
I think the "current solution" provides no track info on the HU display, and drho says, " i could see track titles, artist, playlist, everything on my HU display and used the remote to change tracks, play lists. now this would be great to control my ipod thorugh the steering wheel controls"
That's seems like it would better, if admittedly more difficult.
The problem with this approach as I see it is that the COMAND right now does not support more than 99 songs correct (CD limitation) from the CDC? Since I don't have an mp3 compatible CDC I don't know personally. Does the HU also support folder browsing on an MP3 disc in the CDC?

If you were limited to 99 songs then an iPod on the COMAND although nice to have wouldn't really be worth it.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 PM

2005 C230SS 6spd Blk/Blk, 2006 C350 SS 6spd Blk/Blk

Yes it is.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:02 AM

I guess this could've been asked earlier but can this setup also be accomplished with a psp?

:v
Old 12-31-2005, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chkdg8
I guess this could've been asked earlier but can this setup also be accomplished with a psp?

yes, anything with a stereo mini-plug output can be plugged into the AUX input. but, I've tried it with my PSP, and it's not all that great. the PSP has crappy audio... I thought playing Madden 06 in 7.1 Digital Surround Sound in my car would actually be decent, but it sucked.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 AM

I guess you're right but I just wanted to know if the psp's mp3 player had decent audio capabilities.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Quick Reply: DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.