C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Keyless Go Option Possibility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CLS 350 , BMW E46 320i ( Facelifted ), Toyota Sera
Question Keyless Go Option Possibility

I was wondering if anyone has or is it possible to get the Keyless Go option fitted .

Thank you very much

Old 09-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by Tang
I was wondering if anyone has or is it possible to get the Keyless Go option fitted .

Thank you very much

AFAIK, keyless go is not offered in the C-class. I just looked at "Build Your Own" for the C55 and there's no keyless go option.

You best bet is to give your extra smartkey and a walkie-talkie to a capuchin monkey who lives in your dash.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:23 PM

Mercedes CLS 350 , BMW E46 320i ( Facelifted ), Toyota Sera
I Know that Keyless Go Option is not available as a Option . My question was if it is possible to fix it in the C class . Aftermarket Mod .

If you read through the forum the members are really great and have fixed all the possible OEM mods like Distronic which is again not available as a Option with the C class .
Old 09-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Sunman has looked into this and this is what he found:

Possible to retrofit using like Keyless Go parts from other models, however, impossible to get a Keyless Go Card/Keyless Go Smart key from Mercedes since they must order by VIN and have no part # for it in the system for a C-Class.

Therefore, the inability to obtain a Keyless Go Card/Keyless Go Smart key seems to be the hangup on a retrofit for the C Class.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned

................ Bell Helicopter & '05 C230 SS
Originally Posted by awiner
Therefore, the inability to obtain a Keyless Go Card/Keyless Go Smart key seems to be the hangup on a retrofit for the C Class.
Unless you go to a junkyard, get a totalled car that has the system, and remove everything for your C class....
Old 09-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by PRHeloPilot
Unless you go to a junkyard, get a totalled car that has the system, and remove everything for your C class....

The option is not avaialble on the C-Class, so that would be impossible.

Furthermore even if the option was avaialbe on the C-Class. it would cause a lot of problems when the system's in the car ECU, etc) didn't match the VIN they were programmed for.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I have not looked into detail but it may be possible but not easy. The reason is that the cars MPFI computer has to be programmed to know that keyless go exists. Doing this is not easy as you require help of people from benz software division. I ran into a similar problem when i tried to activate dtr. Which I have successfulyl done now.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:23 PM

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Don't have that but I can offer you this Redneck Car Alarm if you don't mind a few scratches on your paint!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

Furthermore even if the option was avaialbe on the C-Class. it would cause a lot of problems when the system's in the car ECU, etc) didn't match the VIN they were programmed for.
I know it's not available, that's why it would be a Mod.

I HATE the word IMPOSSIBLE, remember it's all 1s and 0s in that little black box. Remember when everyone said it would be IMPOSSIBLE to fly ?? Now we've been flying for over 100 years...

Now, that it might be HARD, UPHILL BATTLE, NOT EASY, TIME CONSUMING, etc.. OK, then I'll say you're right.

Carlos
(ex-Radar Tech in the USAF, many moons ago...)
Old 09-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sunman
...Doing this is not easy as you require help of people from benz software division. I ran into a similar problem when i tried to activate dtr. Which I have successfulyl done now.
SEE ? I'm sure many people told sunman that it was IMPOSSIBLE to activate DTR but he finally did it.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlm003
Don't have that but I can offer you this Redneck Car Alarm if you don't mind a few scratches on your paint!

Old 09-12-2004, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
most people have told me that it is impossible to do everything that I HAVE already done in my car.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned

Thank you very much

It is possible - the details were confirmed to me by Mercedes Benz. The reason why MOST people say it isnt possible is that you cant do it outside a dealership.

So you need a dealership insane enough to comply with the installation. Luckily we have one or two of those in Australia where a future retrofit such as this one is being considered right now.

To do it as a dude is impossible but to do it under the sanctioning of a dealer is possible but extremely expensive. You are looking at no less than 2.5X to 3.0X the CLK factory price to do the job.

I have the full parts list and I can assure you its about 3000 Euro in parts alone.

The retrofit goes something like this (my suggestion is that only the front doors be done with the trunk)

- replace door handles
- replace trunk handle
- replace door locks
- install 4 control modules
- install 7 antennas
- replace gear shift
- replace ignition switch (EIS / Gateway)
- install new looms (3)
- join all parts !

The car would go back to bare metal internally - including the doors.

Once completed the dealer ammends your datacard and orders the new ignition software and ignition keys. It would take about 2-4 weeks to have your car returned. Total billing hours is for 2 mechanics working for about 30-40 hours each (not all at once). So make it 60 x hourly rate for labour. When people say impossible they really mean INSANE COST not "cant be done".

The keyless go function already exists inside your ignition key (gateway) and instrument cluster. So even though it is not sold the kind engineers at DC / MB have already made acceptance for it in some parts of the car.

Only the dealer can update your datacard so that the functions can be fully activated with the GREEN KEY*once you have completed the installation of the parts.

* green key is a special key used to programme an ignition switch (also called EIS and gateway) in the 2005 models the EIS is no longer the gateway at all. The central gateway is now just a black box. A new ignition switch has no security functions until the green key is inserted. The only functions that can be enabled with the green key are the ones on your datacard.

The keyless go function can be installed and the car reprogrammed with the old software. This means the new hardware is not operating. In this case the request to activate the new function is done by the entry of SCN codes with the Star Diagnosis. These codes are made for your car only and also will reflect the contents of your datacard.

So yes it is possible to install keyless go and have nothing activated until the dealer agrees to modify the datacard. Then in the future time that activation is possible. Only the dealer can install the Keyless Go version of the gear shift and EIS / ignition switch otherwise you cant start the car.

Personally I would go for BOSE + the paddle shift CLK55 steering wheel at the same time. It would only require slightly more effort.

Last edited by miroj; 09-12-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned

There you go...
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

This is correct and incorrect at the same time. The keyless-go hardware is totally isolated network - so antennas, control modules and door handles will not affect the car security system. The parts you can not migrate are the gear shift and ignition switch. Those two parts are the only ones that have to be installed from scratch as new items.

So about 95% of the parts you need can come from a donor car. This only saves on cost and nothing else. Every other part is possible to purchase new.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
the possible OEM mods like Distronic which is again not available as a Option with the C class .
DTR WAS/IS available on the 203...saw that in person...

Keyless go is a definite NO GO...going through the W209 EPC pages there are a LOT OF PARTS that are different when the car is equiped with code 889 keyless go...miroj hasn't even listed a quarter of those (expensive) parts...

greetingz,
Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
DTR WAS/IS available on the 203...saw that in person...

Keyless go is a definite NO GO...going through the W209 EPC pages there are a LOT OF PARTS that are different when the car is equiped with code 889 keyless go...miroj hasn't even listed a quarter of those (expensive) parts...

greetingz,
I have the parts list if you would like to see it. I just dont see the point in posting 50 part numbers with prices. It adds up to what I estimated.

Most expensive part is A209 267 02 24 = $260 Euro, average price is $110 Euro, lowest price is $35 Euro

We dont need to argue this point, the wiring diagram is absolute.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bigpill/kg1.pdf

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bigpill/kg2.pdf

If any person looks at this diagram they can decide for themselves what is possible.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by miroj
I have the parts list if you would like to see it. I just dont see the point in posting 50 part numbers with prices. It adds up to what I estimated.

Most expensive part is A209 267 02 24 = $260 Euro, average price is $110 Euro, lowest price is $35 Euro

We dont need to argue this point, the wiring diagram is absolute.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bigpill/kg1.pdf

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bigpill/kg2.pdf

If any person looks at this diagram they can decide for themselves what is possible.
No one is saying that it is impossible on a W209 (which the diagrams you listed are for).
Old 09-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vadim
No one is saying that it is impossible on a W209 (which the diagrams you listed are for).
What is the difference ? W203 has a keyless go menu in the diagnostic thus it can exist in software.

I agree with Steve on the difficulty but I dont know which expensive parts he refers to. No person has mentioned any such parts from Mercedes.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The problem with installing KG in a 203 is that it was never made for it. yes it can be done but lots of work. First of all, the antenna locations do not exist on a 203 so they would have to be drilled out. Also, KG cars have a electronic latch on the doors. There is no such latch for the 203. It may be possible to fit one from a 211. 209 latch is different in size. Installing the rest of the wiring is pretty straight forward. Getting keys for it is going to be an obsticle. DTR was not so bad for me. KG involves the security of the car so it may be more harder. Finding a dealer willing to help you will also be hard. Considering it will run several thousand dollars, it would be wiser if you have a 209 to sell it and get one with KG. If you have a 203, keep waiting until someone ever does it. And NO, it is not going to be me.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

I have not looked into detail but it may be possible but not easy. The reason is that the cars MPFI computer has to be programmed to know that keyless go exists. Doing this is not easy as you require help of people from benz software division. I ran into a similar problem when i tried to activate dtr. Which I have successfulyl done now.
The MPFI is not active when unlocking the car doors. The keyless go functions is closely related to the keyless door entry system.

How is this function related ?

Distronic has a speed limiter and cruise control function and is totally dependent on its relationship to ESP + BAS + MPFI.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Getting keys for it is going to be an obsticle.

That was my original point.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
If I remember correctly, the MPFI module has the KG option in there too. I am not too sure. I assume since the KG has to unlock the car and allow it to start, the MPFI may be involved. When i refer to MPFI, i mean the main ECU.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Banned

sunman, what does your Auxillary Trunk Lock do ?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Banned

If I remember correctly, the MPFI module has the KG option in there too. I am not too sure. I assume since the KG has to unlock the car and allow it to start, the MPFI may be involved. When i refer to MPFI, i mean the main ECU.
That conversation is already controlled by the ignition switch which as you are aware is also the data gateway. That being said, if the gateway gives a valid ignition code then it fires up the car. The keyless go network has no means of contacting the ECU, it is simply a wireless key that gives key instructions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keyless Go Option Possibility