C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004 C320 - Key Fob Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
I replaced my siren shortly after I bought my car 6 years ago. I don't know when it failed and how long I should expect the one I installed to survive. It will be interesting to find out whether the sirens become available again. I may need to bypass mine when it fails at some future date. I've read the component that causes the failure is a battery inside the siren. I think I saw a post showing how to dissect the siren and replace the battery with a generic one.

The siren is in the passenger-side front wheel well and the location exposes it to moisture. Mine was corroded and I didn't attempt to dissect it to see whether I could replace the battery. The next time I'm at the "pick and pull" I may grab one for possible future use.

I don't plan to visit my dealership service department for anything other than a recall. (I've had three recalls. One for the airbag and two for the sunroof.) I think they are primarily interested in warranty work and prefer to avoid working on older cars.
I as well usually only visit the dealer for recalls. However, my trustworthy Indy did not want to mess with this electrical/key fob issue and this is the only reason why I went to the dealer. The 2nd time obviously because of the warranty.

I will not mess with this siren, don’t need it for anything. Not that anyone is trying to steal a 20 year old car and if they do, half of America won’t be able to drive a manual anyhow.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:46 AM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Originally Posted by S70Houston
Not that anyone is trying to steal a 20 year old car and if they do, half of America won’t be able to drive a manual anyhow.
An additional benefit - especially if this car is your college-student son's car is that most of his peers cannot drive it either. I bought a 2006 Civic with a manual transmission for my daughter during her last year of high school. She took it to college with her. She later told me that her friends would ask to borrow her car. When she asked them if they could drive a stick, they all said "No." As she explained, she didn't want to lend them the car, but their lack of ability let her avoid being the "bad guy." Since any accidents her friends might have would have been on my insurance, I am pleased with that outcome.

Her ability to drive a car with a manual transmission also impressed the young man who is now her husband. But that is a story for another time.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
An additional benefit - especially if this car is your college-student son's car is that most of his peers cannot drive it either. I bought a 2006 Civic with a manual transmission for my daughter during her last year of high school. She took it to college with her. She later told me that her friends would ask to borrow her car. When she asked them if they could drive a stick, they all said "No." As she explained, she didn't want to lend them the car, but their lack of ability let her avoid being the "bad guy." Since any accidents her friends might have would have been on my insurance, I am pleased with that outcome.

Her ability to drive a car with a manual transmission also impressed the young man who is now her husband. But that is a story for another time.
Absolutely agree Kevin.