C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Headlight range control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W203 C220 Sedan
Headlight range control

Hi. I’ve posted this question on another thread but, with the wrong name.
I’m considering fitting the xenon headlights. However, the premise is to fit the complete kit, meaning fitting the washers and, more importantly, the auto range control.
Having said that, does anyone preformed this retrofit or knows how to do it? Also, besides the wiring and sensors, is it necessary to purchase any module, or the sensors connect where?
Finally, I’m sorry if this was covered already, and for my other post.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
W203 bi-xenon and headlight washer install

This one is a real doozy. I think the dealer requires 8h of book time.

The other question of course is where to even get the parts.

The parts I'm aware of are 1 level sensor for each of the (front and rear) sway bars, an additional electronic module, and the wiring harness to connect the headlights, module, and level sensors.

For the headlight washer it should be an additional washer motor and grommet and wiring, a larger washer fluid tank (6L instead of 3L), and a new headlight switch assembly that includes the headlight washer button. Then there are the bumper modifications (new bumper cover unless you're comfortable with cutting the required holes) and the additional headlight nozzle/motor assemblies. The metal bumper itself I think has the required holes.

Last edited by slammer111; 08-20-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Slammer gives an excellent answer above - even giving you WIS retrofit doc, this whole retrofit is in WIS.

I’d like to add that I’m not sure the nozzle holes which are precisely CNCed into the aluminum bumper will be there on a non OEM fitted car…They are specific, as you load the washer nozzle down and twist through the hole to get the connection behind the bumper…not just that, but there are the front two pin alignment holes, the rivet holes and the back alignment pin holes.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:43 AM

W203 C220 Sedan
Originally Posted by slammer111
W203 bi-xenon and headlight washer install

This one is a real doozy. I think the dealer requires 8h of book time.

The other question of course is where to even get the parts.

The parts I'm aware of are 1 level sensor for each of the (front and rear) sway bars, an additional electronic module, and the wiring harness to connect the headlights, module, and level sensors.

For the headlight washer it should be an additional washer motor and grommet and wiring, a larger washer fluid tank (6L instead of 3L), and a new headlight switch assembly that includes the headlight washer button. Then there are the bumper modifications (new bumper cover unless you're comfortable with cutting the required holes) and the additional headlight nozzle/motor assemblies. The metal bumper itself I think has the required holes.
Thanks for both the response and for the document.
But I have only one question regarding the parts for the installation of the headlamp range sensors. The electronic module that I need is a different SAM from a car with xenon headlights, or is it something else?
Sorry for this question, but I want to be sure what parts I have missing.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:44 AM

W203 C220 Sedan
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Slammer gives an excellent answer above - even giving you WIS retrofit doc, this whole retrofit is in WIS.

I’d like to add that I’m not sure the nozzle holes which are precisely CNCed into the aluminum bumper will be there on a non OEM fitted car…They are specific, as you load the washer nozzle down and twist through the hole to get the connection behind the bumper…not just that, but there are the front two pin alignment holes, the rivet holes and the back alignment pin holes.
Thanks. I will have this in mind when I install the washers.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My understanding is that the electronic module is separate. It takes the input from the sway bar positions (how high or low each end of the car is) and aims the headlights upwards or downwards accordingly. The HID headlights have an extra set of connectors that aren't found on the halogen headlights.

The car also needs to be programmed using the Star computer (a dealer or a MB indie can do this) to enable HIDs. This can be done while the car still has halogens installed. The reprogramming reduces the lower wattage limit below which the car throws an error code, as the factory HIDs draw 35W each instead of 55W for a halogen bulb.

Last edited by slammer111; 08-21-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:16 AM

W203 C220 Sedan
Originally Posted by slammer111
My understanding is that the electronic module is separate. It takes the input from the sway bar positions (how high or low each end of the car is) and aims the headlights upwards or downwards accordingly. The HID headlights have an extra set of connectors that aren't found on the halogen headlights.

The car also needs to be programmed using the Star computer (a dealer or a MB indie can do this) to enable HIDs. This can be done while the car still has halogens installed. The reprogramming reduces the lower wattage limit below which the car throws an error code, as the factory HIDs draw 35W each instead of 55W for a halogen bulb.
Oh, and where is that electronic module is located on the document that you provided?
It’s for trying to locate the part number.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting. Maybe it's part of the SAM module (perhaps version specific). Unfortunately I do not know for sure. The headlight levelling cable has to go somewhere. I imagine the SAM won't have the required wiring unless the car came with it.

The reprogramming wattage part I know for sure.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
This is the retrofit document you need.