C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Front Speaker Buzz(Rattle)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
My Front-Left Speaker Rattle Solution

Originally Posted by Chedeng_05
THIS IS NOT HAPPENING... now i'm hearing rattling sounds from my trunk release button as well. Aside from the putty and tape solutions, has anybody brought theirs to the dealer and have them fix it?

And if i decide to go with the putty solution, where do i get one? Does it come in black?
Alright, update to my last post.

I have determined that my rattle problem was due entirely to the trunk release button. I have damped the rattle by connecting the button to its housing so the button cannot vibrate independently. For now, I am just using a very small amount of putty externally, the kind you use to stick posters to walls. You can find it in any supermarket, drug store, or stationery store. See attached image. You can see I didn't need very much.

I have found that this has entirely eliminated the rattle problem I had before, and I can now enjoy my audio system at the volume I want to without any extraneous noise.

With regards to other solutions, all you need to do is somehow connect the button to the housing, so the button can no longer rattle against it. You can do as I did and use a small bit of putty, but I'm sure a small piece of electrical tape would work as well. Putty usually doesn't come in black. Mine is blue, and the most common color is, well, putty color. It's an off-white. If you go with electrical tape, you should have no problem finding black.

Best of all, no trip to dealer, no waiting, no taking apart the door! I'm not sure this problem can be solved internally anyway. The button and its housing did not seem to be designed with potential rattle problems in mind.

I hope this helps others!
Attached Thumbnails Front Speaker Buzz(Rattle)-norattle.jpg  

Last edited by DiamondNoir2K5; 09-28-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5

I have determined that my rattle problem was due entirely to the trunk release button. I have damped the rattle by connecting the button to its housing so the button cannot vibrate independently. For now, I am just using a very small amount of putty externally, the kind you use to stick posters to walls. You can find it in any supermarket, drug store, or stationery store. See attached image. You can see I didn't need very much.

I have found that this has entirely eliminated the rattle problem I had before, and I can now enjoy my audio system at the volume I want to without any extraneous noise.

With regards to other solutions, all you need to do is somehow connect the button to the housing, so the button can no longer rattle against it. You can do as I did and use a small bit of putty, but I'm sure a small piece of electrical tape would work as well. Putty usually doesn't come in black. Mine is blue, and the most common color is, well, putty color. It's an off-white. If you go with electrical tape, you should have no problem finding black.

Best of all, no trip to dealer, no waiting, no taking apart the door! I'm not sure this problem can be solved internally anyway. The button and its housing did not seem to be designed with potential rattle problems in mind.

THANKS FOR YOUR UPDATE... I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT... i will try the electrical tape solution ( i have a black one at home ).

As far as the sound system is concerned, i think you're right that when they designed the entire system, they somehow forgot that these cars were targeted to younger people that like to play loud, bass pumping music cause this rattling sound doesn't happen all the time, only on songs with deep bass.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 PM

'05 C230K SS
THANKS FOR YOUR UPDATE... I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT... i will try the electrical tape solution ( i have a black one at home ).

As far as the sound system is concerned, i think you're right that when they designed the entire system, they somehow forgot that these cars were targeted to younger people that like to play loud, bass pumping music cause this rattling sound doesn't happen all the time, only on songs with deep bass.

No problem. Hope it works for you. Pump up the volume!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

05' c230 SS
Would dynomat help at all? I was thinking of dynomatting my front speakers. They seem to have way too much bass going to them.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Dynamat Extreme is good stuff, I use them on all doors since i have a louder speaker and find no rattling, except the driver side, maybe some cable loose there.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5

THANKS FOR THE BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE SOLUTION. It worked perfectly.

This is what i did, i covered the bottom half of the trunk release button with black electrical tape then took an X-Acto blade and cut the excess tape around the perimeter of the trunk release. The trunk release still works, but now it doesn't rattle anymore plus i've found a clean looking solution instead of using putty.

THANKS AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:51 PM

'05 C230K SS
THANKS FOR THE BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE SOLUTION. It worked perfectly.

This is what i did, i covered the bottom half of the trunk release button with black electrical tape then took an X-Acto blade and cut the excess tape around the perimeter of the trunk release. The trunk release still works, but now it doesn't rattle anymore plus i've found a clean looking solution instead of using putty.

THANKS AGAIN.
SWEET

Glad it worked for you. Hopefully this thread will be useful to other people with the same problem.

Incidentally, the other day I thought my rattle problem had returned, until I remembered that I had put my cell phone in the door's side pocket/compartment. It was my cellphone that was rattling against the compartment sides. Removed cellphone, rattle gone. So remember, don't store anything hard in there, as it will rattle!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
i had the same problem with the trunk open button. i took it to the dealer and they changed the button, now its rattle free. under warranty so it was free. :-D now i still have the rear panel rattle i have to content with...
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
Glue the padding below the rear panel, the foam stuff under there is loose and little bit more deadening will help. The one that making rattle is the speaker itself (if u have any), i removed mine and rattle instantly gone.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:56 AM

2005 C230 SS
hello....im glad im not the only one 'hearing things' with the h/k sound system on my '05 c230 ss. first off, i had the EXACT same rattle from the trunk release button. took it to the dealer, they replaced the button, the rattle is now gone. im also hearing rattle from the woofer in the rear panel. i told the dealer, and they told me to bring it in. i did, they didnt fix it, they said all they could do under warranty was put some more foam padding or whatever they used. otherwise they would have to charge me for 'special parts' , wich im guessing is Dynamat or some other type of sound dentening material. so im going to have to take it upon myself to fix this rattle from the woofer. anyone have any ideas how to remove the rear panel without destroying it btw i have the fold down rear seats.
also im hearing a cracklin from the center speaker when i set the radio to 'surround' mode. i played it for the service advisor, and he couldnt hear nothing, then he told me that there is no speaker there , its only a vent. wtf. damn i hate dealerships....
Old 04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Almost a Member!

-Black- '05 C230 Kompressor SS
my front left speaker started rattling i think it may have popped. i have the standard sound system, would this be covered under warranty? since im bringing it in for the safety recall might as well give it a shot...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:43 PM

2006 C230 SS
my front right speaker seems to be a bit distorted... i have a 2006 h/k system... should i even try to get it fixed, or will dealer say im the devil and tell me to go home?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by rrpnow
my front right speaker seems to be a bit distorted... i have a 2006 h/k system... should i even try to get it fixed, or will dealer say im the devil and tell me to go home?
Take it to the dealer and said it's not working properly. They'll replace it under warranty. My subwoofer blew several months after I got the car and they replaced it without any questions.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Use your warranty

I can't believe people are using putty for these rattles. I had mine "fixed" the first time with felt. Then, on a second trip, I had a list of things for them to fix and they ended up replacing the control module in the door since it started rattling again. I would bet anything that the high number of complaints resulted in a redesign or a fix for 2006 models and they are just replacing this poorly engineered door module.

Just wait for a Service A or B or take it in for the recall and have them fix the speakers/module. I had an amp replaced, the center speaker was loose, and worst of all this front driver side rattle. Don't be afraid to utilize your warranty.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM

2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Take it to the dealer and said it's not working properly. They'll replace it under warranty. My subwoofer blew several months after I got the car and they replaced it without any questions.
ill probably tell them to check when i go in for service, about 4k miles...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 AM

2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
yea i took the car into the dealership today, and basically i hate my service rep... she seems like a dike... but back to the point, she sits in my car, says the rattle is coming from the panel and there is no fix for it... she ended up sending me home... so i called a different dealership and ill see what they say...
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Press the issue...my service guy didn't hear the rear hatshelf rattle I just had fixed either, but the tech found the range that caused it and it too has been taken care of. Finally, my system sounds clear with zero rattles. I guess some people just tolerate these things.