C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Center Console Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 10:19 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Center Console Cover Replacement

The last cosmetic item (other than the headliner) that is letting down the appearance of my interior is the center armrest cover. It is worn smooth from years of use.

I found a leather cover and I'm beginning to plan the installation process.

The company provided these instructions for installing the cover:

To fit the cover you need to remove your original armrest from the car, clean it from any dirt or oils, then you will need to line up the cover over the armrest and start gluing and stretching the cover following the contours of the armrest. Please note that the leather will need to be tucked over at the edges. If the original vinyl is in good condition you can glue the new cover onto the original however if it's damaged we recommend removing it as any damage may show through the leather.

The glue that we use is called UHU or EVO STIK, we also use Heat resistant Trimfix and 3M 90 spray glue or brush able contact adhesive for leather and fabric. You can also use a hairdryer in order to soften up the leather to ease fitting.

I found this thread which describes removing and replacing the cover: Check Post #202 for information on removing the bottom of the cover.

I'm thinking that the best way to obtain good results will be to remove the bottom cover and tuck and glue the ends of the leather underneath. Then I can trim the excess and reattach the cover.

As always, I appreciate comments and suggestions especially from people who have completed this project or similar projects.

I know I should be working on my headliner, but that promises to be a multi-day project and I may take care of this first.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:24 PM

This upgrade is not for the faint of heart

During the planning/visualization stage of this project, I thought it was possible that significant disassembly of the console cover would be necessary. It turns out that is the case and the complex nature of the console-lid makes it challenging. The easiest part is removing the lid from the storage compartment and that is tricky.

Vinyl lid showing the wear from years of use.

The instructions indicate that it is necessary to tuck the edges of the cover underneath the lid. To do this, I needed to separate the two parts of the lid. I worked a small screwdriver blade between the two parts and gradually pried it apart. I worked very slowly and eventually separated the two parts without breaking anything.

Existing vinyl cover wrapped under the edge

I left the vinyl cover on the lid, but trimmed the part under the lid to make room for the new leather.

I used a utility knife to trim the vinyl

In order to wrap the leather around the side-opening release buttons, I had to remove them. I took several pictures so that I could it back the way it was before removing the releases.

Note how the various parts of the latch mechanism mesh together.

Latches removed

I used contact cement to attach the leather.

Wrapping and gluing in process

Here's the finished product:

After I took this photo, I used epoxy to reattach the two parts.

The seams are a little off, but it is not noticeable in the car. There are some minor wrinkles in the leather.

Again the seams are not perfectly aligned.

Installed in the car with the shift knob and gator that I installed a few months ago and the chrome-ringed cupholder Jake sent me.

Close up

The following users liked this post:
BF_JC230 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan, 2003 CLK55 AMG, 2021 GLC300
Looks clean! I kinda envy that you have black interior my 118A imitation grey is just a pain but it looks really nice when clean lol...

My upholstery guy has my color available as his going to do some patch work wonder if he can just wrap the center console when he does some other things...

As always looks really clean!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:24 AM

Thanks
The black interior is classic, but I dread getting in the car after it has been exposed to a hot sunny day. The summer convenience function helps but it takes a while for the air conditioning to cool the interior.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:22 AM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
C43 c55 C63
Nice work leather always compliments car interior
Old 10-23-2021, 09:25 AM

C43 c55 C63

I refinished my steering wheel maybe I could do the arm rest next
BF_JC230 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
@KevinH2000 That looks amazing! I knew when you mentioned this project, it would be a great upgrade! I knew I’ve read, and seen the lid’s complexity, but your post here makes this look palatable. Removing the press side buttons was clutch, awesome detail.

@Benzrider17 The w209 cluster always intrigues me…I’m sure a few of us would love more detail. From gauge gauge accuracy to even I’ve read properly syncing MPH…and chance you can make a detailed thread saying how you installed the w209 (I’m assuming it’s not a w211, or maybe it’s a combo of the two, I’ve read that too) gauge cluster?

Last edited by BF_JC230; 10-24-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2021, 01:19 PM

Update

It seems that I've traded a fully functioning armrest lid that looked worn for a great looking armrest lid that won't open and close properly.

After I installed the lid, it popped off on one side and would not latch back in place on the passenger side. I pulled it apart and realigned the plastic parts of the mechanism. After gluing it back together and reinstalling it, the mechanism continues to fail to latch on the passenger side.

I'm reluctant to take it apart again because a plastic part may break and I could be left with a bigger problem. I'm planning to look for a good used console cover and take another shot at this. I found a 2005 C230 in a "pick and pull" near my office, but the armrest was already gone. I did manage to pick up a few other parts that I needed/may need in the future.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:59 PM

Slightly better news

After driving the car (and hitting some bumps in the road) the cover seems to have latched in at least 3 of the 4 attachment points. My theory is that the spring-loaded latches were binding and the jostling caused the latches to catch at their attachment points. I am planning to drive the car for a few days before attempting to open the cover.

I was wondering why I went to the trouble and expense of upgrading the interior on what is now a 17-year old car. I'm attributing my actions to a compulsive need to make the interior a "nice place to be." Here are some before and after shots. I hope you agree that the armrest, shift knob, shifter boot and cupholder replacement have turned the ugly duckling center console into a swan.

From the rear seat - Before

From the rear seat - After

From the driver's door - Before

From the driver's door - After

From the passenger door - Before - Note the wear on the shifter boot. You cannot see it in this photo, but the shifter knob is missing some of its silver finish.

From the passenger door - After

I've decided the upgrades and repairs have been worth the time, energy, money and the occasional need to figure out what I did wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by KevinH2000:
Benzrider17 (11-01-2021), BF_JC230 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:03 AM

C43 c55 C63
Great work , really came out nice , I had the same thoughts wanted to get a better view and feel of my interior
any other upgrades in the future or you done ?
im planning to redo my headliner in black and add a few buttons to the dash ,hate seeing all those blanks
You should consider the cluster swap w209 clk
Old 11-01-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
You’ve REALLY improved that interior and given that w203 some GREAT upgrades! It looks darn gooooooooooood!
Old 11-01-2021, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Benzrider17
Great work , really came out nice , I had the same thoughts wanted to get a better view and feel of my interior
any other upgrades in the future or you done ?
im planning to redo my headliner in black and add a few buttons to the dash ,hate seeing all those blanks
You should consider the cluster swap w209 clk
Thanks for the comments. The entire story of my upgrade and repair journey is in this thread. Jake (BF_JC230) has eclipsed me in the upgrade department. We seem to have a similar vision although he is the original owner of his car and hasn't had to address the neglect my car experienced at the hands of previous owners. I was lucky enough to find someone parting out a C230 near my work and I scavenged many parts at a good price. I've owned the car just over four years and the modifications have added up in both improvements to the car and cost. However, a few hundred dollars a year on upgrades beats a monthly car payment. I think my best addition to the car was installing a set of seats from a W204 C63 AMG. You can find links to the project notes in my thread.

I have to replace my headliner too. I've already begun a thread on that project, but I haven't started work. I need to find a couple of days to work on it because it looks like a major job. Perhaps we can swap notes. I briefly considered black for the headliner, but decided to go with an OEM match. I once had a Miata with a monochrome black interior. On overcast days it felt like I was driving in a cave. Plus I'm trying to maintain the OEM look to the extent practical. The gauge cluster upgrade is also on my radar screen, but I need to get past the headliner project.

I am trying to convince my wife to consider a C Class wagon to replace her Highlander. I'm not an SUV fan and your wagon seems like it would provide all of the versatility of an SUV, with better fuel efficiency, handling and style.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 11-01-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Benzrider17 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BF_JC230
You’ve REALLY improved that interior and given that w203 some GREAT upgrades! It looks darn gooooooooooood!
Thanks. Your suggestions have been invaluable.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:40 PM

Trying to keep up with you is going to make me broke... or for a lack of a better word more broke... lol

I need to update my thread as I have done what I think is some small minor cosmetic things and some engine replaced a few hoses and what lines that maybe useful to someone else but who really STFF these days? lol
Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 AM

C43 c55 C63
Good stuff man most important it’s good to see Benz owners take pride in their ride , takes lots of time and dedication to care and modify our cars
the seats and custom arm rest I’m sure must of taken some time to source plan out and install .
Yeah man the wagon is really fun it’s best of both worlds wasn’t ez to find a clean one but they out there , I wasn’t as lucky finding parts locally , made a few
Trips couple of hours away to find some parts and hunt for others online but all well worth it , at the end of the day it keeps me happy and have ran into some Benz enthusiasts

Old 11-02-2021, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Benzrider17
Good stuff man most important it’s good to see Benz owners take pride in their ride , takes lots of time and dedication to care and modify our cars
I've recently visited "pick and pull" lots to acquire parts for my C230. Although I benefited by finding inexpensive parts it was disappointing to see the neglect the vehicles had experienced. One of the cars was almost identical to my car (pre-upgrade) and it was quite a contrast between the car in the junk yard and mine. I'm glad guys like you, Jake and JgGarcia think the W203's are worth preserving and occasionally improving. I bought mine to be a daily driver and found that I liked it much more than I expected.

There are times that I think I have gotten carried away with the upgrades. I had a relatively short list of improvements I wanted to make when I bought the car. I think the pandemic may have contributed to my motivation to make some of the other modifications. I had a little more time on my hands due to a reduction in some of my other activities. I hope all the pandemic restrictions are gone soon. After I repair the headliner, I will have run out of projects. Of course, I may want to tackle the timing chain or the gauge cluster upgrade. If Jake ever figures out the distronic system, I may try that too.
BF_JC230 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:55 AM

You can't stop there... have you done parktronic or folding mirrors? How about upgrading to 4 piston calipers up front?
BF_JC230 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
This label I made shows my OEM retrofits…I also have one under the hood near the OEM option codes.

Distronic does not run under engine on, does up until ignition. I welcome any help…error code C1510, ESP ERROR.

https://mbworld.org/forums/performan...ult-c1510.html

The label needs to either be upgraded or can’t consider things like ambient interior lighting and OEM COMAND that had been fitted with backup reverse camera.

Last edited by BF_JC230; 11-03-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:07 PM

C43 c55 C63
These w203s really are fun I think I also got carried away as well but had fun doing all the mods and retro fitting , gave it a little extra HP over the weekend
Old 11-03-2021, 11:03 PM

you can send me everything that you added for distronic and i can attempt to make it work on mine... jk lol

I don't know what all is required for distronic.... I attempted to find your control switch and its virtually non existent...I was able to find one with all the buttons with the exception of parktronic...

I almost opted to install a comand unit but I really wan't bluetooth/apple play etc... going to save up the bucks for an Andriod unit.