C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 5 MBs and my experience shows that MBs fall apart in the first year, poor craftsmanship. Once all the little nits are fixed, they tend to hold up pretty well. Can't see any reason that car won't last you to well beyond 200K miles. Sure things will break along the way and sure parts for an MB will cost more than parts for a Chevy or Ford but I believe that parts will last longer on the MB than on American cars. As for Asian cars, their parts seem more expensive than MB parts sometimes.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You didn't say if it were a manny or slushbox. My opinion is that the slushbox-equipped version is dangerously underpowered - merging here was nearly impossible. I haven't driven the stick, but I can't imagine that it would be that much better.

If I were you, I'd either go with a newer used C230 sedan, or another marque. Even at used prices, the C240s are not worth it, imho.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Having owned a C240 for about 2 years I can say that YES, it does have engineered throttle lag from a dead stop, (as does the automatic '05 C230K sedan I drove - like flooring the gas pedal on a car starting out in 2nd gear rather than 1st), BUT once it gets going, the C240 is PLENTY quick! As a matter of fact, it has VERY good "passing" power. The throttle lag is less significant if you accelerate from a dead stop more conservatively. But, acceleration is but one aspect of a car's performance in the real world. The C240's "ride" would be hard to beat!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt touch the C240 with a 10 foot pole. First the price they are asking for is way too high for that kind of milage. Second 2001 and 2002 had a lot of issues. Third a lot of C240s were made in Brazil. Check and make sure, if thats the case then for sure dont but it. Fourth the car is soooooo slow. You need a minimum of a C230 to enjoy a Benz. These are my thoughts, good luck
Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 PM

00 Eclipse, 90 Jeep XJ trail rig, Looking for a C-Class Sedan.
Well, there is no way that I'm going to pay more then 18,000 for the car, plus tax. I guess I'll have to see what I think. I'm going to go back down there in a few minutes and check it out if they will let me this time.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:03 AM

Well, they tried to screw with me, so I walked. I told him the highest I would go would be 19500 out the door. They said the lowest they could possibly go was 20350 with tax. I told the salesman it wasn't worth it. He got all butt-hurt and said that it's worth 23,000, "not to mention tax."

The same salesman said it just got on the lot a couple days ago. Carfax said they took the trade on 12/4/04. That's 2 months, not 2 days. The display on the dash said the B service was 5800 miles past due. They had no maintenance records or proof of proper maintenance. He said he didn't think a MB dealer serviced it.

The chrome on the front bumper needed to be replaced. The front tires were barely legal. The car wasn't clean. It looked like it hasn't been washed for 2 weeks, and the plastic floor covers had dirt all over them from previous test drives.

Pretty much, the car was a POS, and they wanted too much money for it. Even if they would have met my price I don't think I would have bought it.

He was mad that I walked over "a few hundred dollars." That's almost a thousand brotha'. I guess math was never your strong point, which is why you are used car salesman and not a respectable member of society.

The sales manger said I was "messed up" as I was walking out. Thanks a lot, the other car I was considering was a C5... I guess I won't be even looking at one on your lot.

What I really enjoyed was the sales managers pep talk to the salesman while they were "meeting." (Mind you, he sat me as far away from the manager as possible so he would have the long walk of anticipation. And also so that that I couldn't hear them talk **** about me, but it was silent in there and I heard every word they said) "People that come in the day time don't rush to buy a car, people that come in at night are going to buy it right now, that kid wants that 'Benz. It's a ****in' Mercedes and he's 20, he wants that car bad." Well obviously not you moron, as I still have damn near 20g's in my pocket that I would have been happy to give you guys about 3 hours ago.

Any way’s that was fun. I'm half tempted to have my Dad call the GM and tell him that I was very disappointed with how I was treated and they just lost not only me as a customer but him, too. But I imagine the rest of the staff are just as big of morons as they were.

I guess I'm quickly running out of local STEALERships to deal with. The funniest part is, the local dealerships have gotten together to promote "Buy Local," to keep the money in town and help our poor economy. What they don't realize is people aren't going to keep their money in town so they can get reamed and insulted. I'd much rather go to a larger market, get treated well and get a fair deal, then keep the money in town. It's not worth it. If you want me to spend my money locally offer decent service at a decent price.

Last edited by Redsand187; 02-10-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Get a used C230 sedan...or a coupe. Drive one, you'll love it. Yeah, some(ok, all) dealers are crooks. Keep looking. Try a private seller.

And Rockintunes....you are on crack. C240 drives just as good in the rain as any other car, probably better thanks to ESP. Only problem with the C240 is the weezbag V6. The supercharged fours are the only way to go.

Last edited by Outland; 02-10-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 AM

Yeah, Forced induction is my deal. What years was the 230 sedan available?

Also, these cars take Synthetic oil right? (I run Mobil1 in my all of my stuff anyways, but I don't think that car had synthetic in it) How much oil does it hold? I know I've serviced some M series that took 8-9 quarts.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Sedan is 03 and up. The 05 is incredible. 04.5 has improved brakes and a little lower suspension.

I have no idea how much the v6 takes. The M111 in my car takes a lot of oil...its close to 7 quarts IIRC. The M271 is probably the same.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 AM

Thats what I figured. Which really isn't a big deal but I was curious. I know a lot of people would freak out when they hear it's 100 bucks just to change their oil. But considering I get M1 at cost and filters can probably get a case of oil filters thrown in for free on my next order for the shop (I manage a shop, we do mostly light repairs and standard services. Pretty much it's step between a Lube shop and a real shop) it won't cost me much to change it.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Redsand187, I think you did the right thing by walking. Something else to arm yourself with (perhaps in the future) would be a print out of the retail AND private sale price from KBB.com. That way, you could have easily countered his "worth 23K" crap.

I would have complained right there and then if they said I was "messed up", or made any kind of derogatory comment such as that. If I were you, I would write a letter to the General Manager or the owner of the dealer. I can understand them not being able to work out an acceptable deal, but there's no need for that type of language.

You'd do good not buying a car (new or used) from a place that doesn't at least take good care of the car. The fact that it was dirty, had very warn tires, and was past it's maintenance date (on the computer) are all signs that they just don't care. If you were to buy the car and have a problem with it a few days/weeks later, what kind of service do you think they would give you?

I would recommend buying a used MB from a MB dealer where you can get a "Starmark" car. If that's not possible, then buy from some place that is more reputable than the one you visited.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 AM

I think I'm going to head down to the local MB dealership and try to work out a deal on a 03 C230 sedan. See if they can find me one for a decent price. Their reputation is kind of shady though too. I had one salesman tell me to get out of their showroom unless I had enough money on me to buy the ML55 that I was looking at. (that was a few years ago) However, lately I've heard they have been really good. I also wouldn't mind ending up working over in their service department (my goal when starting my automotive education was to ultimately be master MB tech... but now I'm not really wanting to work in the industry for too much longer... I want to work for myself) so I don't know about dealing for a car. I'm sure they will hate me by the end of the deal, because I'm not going to let them make much money. I know how the business works.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 AM

The car's KBB retail value was like 22,300 or so. He had the sheet out on it himself. But I wouldn't say that it was in excellent condition like they said it was.

I'm willing to bet come the end of the month, or possible the middle of the month I will get a call from them saying they would be willing to renegoiate a deal on the car. I know it isn't going anywhere, even the salesman was saying how hard MB's are to get rid of. (I live in a low income county, people here think 100,000 a year is means you're loaded. ) I can't wait for the call, because I know it's coming. Then I will proceed to tell them to bite me.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by Redsand187
The car's KBB retail value was like 22,300 or so. He had the sheet out on it himself. But I wouldn't say that it was in excellent condition like they said it was.

#1- KBB used retail value doesn't have condition ratings, at least no on-line.
#2 - It was a "POS" because it had 1 scuff on the bumper and was dirty?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:15 PM

w203 coupe 05
(I live in a low income county, people here think 100,000 a year is means you're loaded. ) :

100,000 a year is about 8300 a month, 52 bucks an hour.
that's almost 10 times of basic salary.
dude...that's loaded, rich people. wut u talking about?
buying a used c240? get an SL65 instead.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:05 PM

I didn't say that I made 100,000 year. My dad (who I still live with) makes a little bit more then that around here people think that is big money. Figure a mortgage payment on a 350,000 dollar home, insurance, standard bills living bills, food, 401k and other investments... it leaves money to play with, but it's not a disposible income. Go to bigger regions like San Diego, and 100,000 dollars isn't going to buy you squat. I nice home there is a million plus. A home like ours in a neighborhood like ours down there would be in 2-3 million dollar range. 100,000 dollars isn't rich, bottom line, a million in the bank doesn't mean much anymore either. (Unless you are retired and recieve a pention)

I guess maybe it was how I was raised, but I would never take on a huge debt, especially on a car. If I was in the market for a $100K car, I would have cash in hand. For any used car I would buy, I will have cash in hand.

Again, maybe it's my up-bringing, but I feel if you aren't puting away a decent amount retirement, a small slush fund for unexpected bills, and another small amount for luxury items, (vacations, TV's, toys) you really shouldn't be spending money on stupid things.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Exclamation Gotta love San Diego !!!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
#1- KBB used retail value doesn't have condition ratings, at least no on-line.
This is true. However, the final price can be manipulated a bit by using different zip codes. I'm sure that they would do what ever they could to show a higher value.

For my zip code, the retail value comes out at $20,600. However, with normal miles, it's above $23,000.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 Navigator
Funny you mention homes, I was watching CNN this afternoon before going to work and they said that San Diego had the most overpriced homes....lol. However, I just traded in my 03 C240 with 31,000 miles and they gave me 23,000 for it.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 AM

C320 Coupe
I didn't know they put rubber mats in the MBs. Mine has carpeted mats.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:12 AM

It's was the plastic they covered the floor with to save the carpet while it's on the lot. I guess they figure they cover the floor with plastic and they will never have to clean it. I personnally think it is a joke. But again, maybe I have higher expectations.

As for the car being a POS. For full retail, no proof of proper maintance, dirty inside and out, worn tires, over due service light on the dash. What does that say to you? Dealership normally cover up the small stuff to make the car look more appealing while it's sitting on the lot. So my question is why they didn't cover the little stuff up? Is it because they were hiding something more serious?

The reason for mentioning San Diego is because I spend a lot of time down there. My older brother lives in Carlsbad and works for Berg Electric. It's really different down there, but in a good way. Everything is much more fast paced. The way I see it is you have a lot of strong people there. Here, people just try to get by. Down there you have hard workers that strive to be as good as they can be. They know if you slack off down there you will not survive. That is my favorite thing about the area. Up here people just get on my nerves doing the bare minimum, there is no pride and no respect.

Originally Posted by Rotty
Funny you mention homes, I was watching CNN this afternoon before going to work and they said that San Diego had the most overpriced homes....lol.
Yeah, I live in the Northwest. Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon are the two most overpriced cities to live in, in the entire country. (factoring in all, average income, average home value, and average cost of living) So really SD isn't too bad, you just have to be smart. Once you get enough money to afford a home you must buy one. A few years ago people were seeing their home value shoot up 30% in one year. That is the only really expensive thing down there. Really, most stuff is cheaper down there then in other parts of the country. You just have to get a home, and once you do you are set. As long as you have a clue about what you are doing.

Last edited by Redsand187; 02-11-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 AM

w203 coupe 05
SD is more lay back than LA, everytime i go to SD, i feel good about the
enviorenment. nice place. defly getting a house there or san marcos
or something...

i wasing saying ur filthy rich.. i was trying to say, a c240 with 70k miles?
im a poor student and im not even getting dat.
with 23g, you can get an m3 with less miles. not dat im saying c240 is
absolutely bad. but dont wnat you to get ripped off. and you will regret
buying it.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 AM

02 w203
It's all about SAN DIEGO baby.......sorry guys- just had to get that in.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by Rotty
Funny you mention homes, I was watching CNN this afternoon before going to work and they said that San Diego had the most overpriced homes....lol.
house market should settle down a bit down here in San Diego once the interest rates go back up...

but gotta love my $199K home I bought back in the mid-90's now valued close to a million !

Originally Posted by demon
SD is more lay back than LA, everytime i go to SD, i feel good about the
enviorenment. nice place.
Ain't that the truth !
Originally Posted by 619er
It's all about SAN DIEGO baby.......
Yeah, it is, isn't it ??!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
yes it is all about SD, thats why im moving back next year. ive been away from SD for a year and hate it up here. i miss the awesome city and people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider