C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemannized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2002 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
The cooler the air the more HP you get.
More accurately, the cooler the air the more dense it is. Cooler air = denser air = more oxygen = more efficient fuel burning = more HP.

Or as Buellwinkle put it (solving for x): cooler air = more HP

BT

PS: This is also you get better runs on a drag strip when the air is cooler.
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:29 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hey wyatt...

Can you post some 0-60 times?, dont need to be exact on that just wanna get an idea...

but if you can ge texact 0-60 and 1/4 mile it would be even better...
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:30 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by zimmer26
Hey Wyatt, I thought Kleemann said it was 599 for the ring type pulley and 899 for the alloy? Am I to believe that they charged you 300 for the install? Good (and very tantalizing) to hear how much you like it though, I am kinda on the fence whether or not to do it (some fear of warranty/trade-in implications) so its still a question. Once ~50K hits (in about 3yrs.), I'll probably be looking to get out and into a G35c, so its probably a losing proposition as most mods are IMO. If I were planning on keeping the car long-term it would be different story, but I don't know man, any thoughts/advice? Do you think a dealer will notice this if I go to trade it in?
1) You have to look closely but you can see the kleemann logo on the ring if you look.

2) Yep 300 for the install but they do really good work and I feel good about turning my car over to them. Took about 2.5 hours.

3) Well if you're going to trade it in for another Benz then I guess I'd worry for another brand I wouldn't care. I enjoy the upgrade so much I just couldn't see myself without now.
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:32 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Re: hey wyatt...

Originally posted by Scylas
Can you post some 0-60 times?, dont need to be exact on that just wanna get an idea...

but if you can ge texact 0-60 and 1/4 mile it would be even better...
Before and after 1/4 mile times and horsepower before and after on second gear coming soon.
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:39 PM

Anybody familiar with DynoSpot Racing? They appear to be
offering a C230K kit now as well:
http://www.dynospotracing.com/komp.htm

Any comments good/bad on DSR?
Old 05-16-2002 | 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dynospot always made a kit for the C230K (W202), just not our C230K (W203). They make a supercharger pulley that replaces the pulley clutch mechanism on the pre-2001 2.3 motors. On the newer motors the pulley is pressed on the shaft and can't easily be removed. If you are looking for a much better deal than Kleemann, hang in there a few weeks. There will be a new alloy pulley on the market for under $300 from a large pulley maker. Kleemann's alloy pulley is not available yet anyway. Alloy is good for 8hp more at the rear wheels so it's worth waiting a little longer for. A complete pulley replacement is a little better in that you can return the car to stock in case anything goes wrong and need warranttee work. The ring leaves tell-tale indentations where the screws pressed against the pulley.
Old 05-16-2002 | 07:09 PM

Ah, OK. I thought it might have been for W203 because the
link from the main page says, "New Breakthrough Product".
I wasn't so much looking for cheaper than Kleemann as I was
just looking for more local install shops. I dont like
driving to Oakland (where Conversion Techniques is located).
DynoSpot is much closer to me, so I was checking to see if
I had to make the drive. Also, sounds like Gab has been
in contact with CT and feels like they're gouging.
Old 05-16-2002 | 07:33 PM

M3
Dynospot always made a kit for the C230K (W202), just not our C230K (W203). They make a supercharger pulley that replaces the pulley clutch mechanism on the pre-2001 2.3 motors. On the newer motors the pulley is pressed on the shaft and can't easily be removed. If you are looking for a much better deal than Kleemann, hang in there a few weeks. There will be a new alloy pulley on the market for under $300 from a large pulley maker. Kleemann's alloy pulley is not available yet anyway. Alloy is good for 8hp more at the rear wheels so it's worth waiting a little longer for. A complete pulley replacement is a little better in that you can return the car to stock in case anything goes wrong and need warranttee work. The ring leaves tell-tale indentations where the screws pressed against the pulley.
Buellwinkle is the man. Now if there was an installer in Toronto that I trusted, I'd buy one right away.
Old 05-16-2002 | 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A pulley is a pulley. Any halfway decent mechanic should be able to do it. The best mechanics I find are ones that work on hot rods or in performance shops. They are more dedicated to the cause. Or you can find a MB dealer. I bet many would do it. My dealer sells all sorts of modified Brabus cars so what's the big deal.
Old 05-16-2002 | 08:09 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Wyattearp,

Why did you pay $899 for just the "ring" pulley? I though that the "ring" only cost $500 and the crank pulley is $899. If your price also included labors, then i don't think it worth paying an extra $399.
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
8hp at the wheels is not that good is it. what do u guys think the pully WyattEarp just got gives u at the wheels? and what is it made of since u said not alloy?
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Wyatt got the Kleemann ring, which attaches to the pulley already on the car.

What Buell is talking about is that a replacement pulley for the current pulley (not just a screw-on ring) will add an extra 8 hp to the added hp of the ring.

At least that's what I've gleaned from all of these pulley discussions. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I get confused easily as I get closer to retirement age.
Old 05-16-2002 | 09:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by tommy
Wyatt got the Kleemann ring, which attaches to the pulley already on the car.

What Buell is talking about is that a replacement pulley for the current pulley (not just a screw-on ring) will add an extra 8 hp to the added hp of the ring.

At least that's what I've gleaned from all of these pulley discussions. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I get confused easily as I get closer to retirement age.
so it just atacteched to the pully on the car? i dont get it. i thought it is a new pully, if it attatches to pully on the car what was there before the keeman ring was there? i am confused now'
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Unhappy

Join the club. Buell is making membership pins for $2.99 (which is cheaper than the Kleemann price of $99.99).
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by tommy
Join the club. Buell is making membership pins for $2.99 (which is cheaper than the Kleemann price of $99.99).
i had 3 hours of sleep last night i somehow dont understand anything today what pins are u talking about.?
Old 05-16-2002 | 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

i had 3 hours of sleep last night i somehow dont understand anything today what pins are u talking about.?
tommy is making a joke about Buellwinkle's attempts to undercut Kleemann's prices.
Old 05-16-2002 | 11:36 PM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
Guys, I had my car dyno'd this morning, and with the Kleemann ring addition, I'm now putting out 201.2HP/217.9TQ at the wheels. Prior to that I only had the UpSolute chip and put down 180HP/192TQ. I think I got what I paid for. Using a loss factor of 15%, I'm now getting 237HP/256TQ at the crank. Not a bad improvement over stock, I would say. I'll post the dyno plot in a few days, as I don't have access to my scanner at the moment. Anyway, I would recommend Kleemann's product to anyone looking for more power. Or go with whatever other tuner or hot rod shop you want.
Old 05-17-2002 | 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Using Kleemann's very own dyno results, the Kleemann alloy pulley produces about 8 hp more on a chassis dyno than the Kleemann ring. If I remember correctly it was about 192hp for the ring and about 200hp for the alloy pulley. When a survey was done a month ago it appeared that a very large percentage of people wanted the alloy pulley. I guess wanting and paying for it are two different things, DUH!. So when it comes to plunking down your hard earned cash, the $599 ring wins out. Now I have yet to see an independent dyno of the either pulley that cames close to those performance numbers, at least not on this forum.

BlackC230Coupe, the Kleemann ring is just that, a ring. It slips over the pulley and makes it larger. Although it may seem unique, it's how half the pullies available for our cars are made (Carlson, Vaeth and H&S). The Kleemann alloy pulley is a complete replacement and is a lot lighter. The lower rotational mass reduces drag on the motor and allows for more HP. Similar to a lighter flywheel, lighter driveshaft, lighter wheels. Any weight you can reduce between the motor and the pavement makes for more rear wheel HP.

As for me making pullies, I'm not making or selling any pullies, therefore I'm undercutting nobody. I'm working with a pulley company to help them design and test an alloy pulley. They will sell it, not me. They told me upfront that it will sell for under $300. There's also another company that I've heard of that is testing a pulley, don't know how much or when. You can make fun of it all you want but competition is what makes the products better and cheaper. It's why you pay $99 for a set of alloy underdrive pullies for a Honda or an Eaton M90 supercharger pulley for a Buick and $599 for part of a pulley for your coupe. I applaud Kleemann for being the current lowest cost provider of pullies kits. Afterall, that has to be a big reason you are looking at Kleemann vs. Renntech, Vaeth, Brabus and others.
Old 05-17-2002 | 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
When a survey was done a month ago it appeared that a very large percentage of people wanted the alloy pulley. I guess wanting and paying for it are two different things, DUH!. So when it comes to plunking down your hard earned cash, the $599 ring wins out.
actually, the primary reason for the steel ring version, for me at least, was the warranty issue. the steel ring is easier to remove/install and more stealthy. i could've easily not spent the $500 difference on the mb sheepskin seat covers.

of course, as in all things, there are more talkers than do-ers... no big deal. it's just the way it is.

btw, i should add that poll actually asked what people <b>would</b> get (that is, slightly hypothetically). not, who is getting what.

Last edited by young; 05-17-2002 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2002 | 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As for me making pullies, I'm not making or selling any pullies, therefore I'm undercutting nobody. I'm working with a pulley company to help them design and test an alloy pulley. They will sell it, not me.

Damn, I was so looking forward to proudly affixing my new Buellwinkle badges.
Old 05-17-2002 | 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't say I wan't going to make Buellwinkle badges, just not the pullies.
Old 05-17-2002 | 04:31 AM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
I've just installed Kleemann ring on my C200K....I disconnected the battery (disconnect the negative) for 10 minutes then connected the negative back. I've got an 1 malfunction error message on my display and it says ESP off something like that....

Do you get this error when you disconnected and connected the battery back?? ... do i have to go to dealer to get this fixed?? or is there another way to fix the problem?

I haven't fully tested the result but from 10 minutes of driving after the pulley upgrade the power gain is noticeable and the supercharger whine gets louder too...I haven't floor the loud pedal yet cos i'm concern with the error message i've got on my display....
Old 05-17-2002 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The ESP failure is what you want so you can smoke the tires. What good is a perfomance enhancer if you can't smoke the tires. Enjoy it before you get it fixed.
Old 05-17-2002 | 10:43 AM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Fixed the problem myself...I read the manual book and the book says that you have to rotate the steering wheel lock to lock then back to normal
Old 05-17-2002 | 11:07 AM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
You probably also have to resynchronize your automatic windows and panoramic sunroof. Those things along with the ESP have to be reset when you disconnect the battery. It's easy to do and is covered in the manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleemannized