C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Quick update on the front heated seat part number priceing and ordering from my local dealer MB of Knoxville:

They are dragging their feet and are acting like they are not going to be able to order my existing seats with heat option because they can’t figure out which ones to get. I am going to go by there tomorrow and see if I can’t help them along. Very aggravating but I am more determined than ever to get this modification done.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
Old 10-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizkid
Quick update on the front heated seat part number priceing and ordering from my local dealer MB of Knoxville:

They are dragging their feet and are acting like they are not going to be able to order my existing seats with heat option because they can’t figure out which ones to get. I am going to go by there tomorrow and see if I can’t help them along. Very aggravating but I am more determined than ever to get this modification done.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com

There is no variation in replacement parts for this car. ALL REPLACEMENT seat covers come with heating. This is to reduce the number of parts needed to be stored and carried, it is unlike building cars on a production line where the parts can be interchanged with better specifications depending on supply items.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I went to the dealer today and got the following quotes on the parts:

heat cable 203-540-30-05 $53.40 USD List
heat element 163-820-03-98 $118.80 USD List
heat element 163-820-04-98 $297.60 USD List

the heat element numbers used were a 163- because the 168- did not show up in the computer for the elements.

That makes the total a little over $1000. That's not even including the switch banks.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Any luck determining if you were lucky enough to have the heating elements already? If so, what did the wire look like?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Why has no one just contacted Steve to get the parts. He has already worked with Sunman to do this kind of stuff and can surely get you the parts quicker than an MB dealer who is confused.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
Why has no one just contacted Steve to get the parts. He has already worked with Sunman to do this kind of stuff and can surely get you the parts quicker than an MB dealer who is confused.
I would contact Steve in a second if he listed this "kit" as one of the offering on his website; I am assuming from what I have read in this thread so far that the cost of of the parts in minimal and probably not worth his bother.

In any event, we would still need to determine if our cars are the lucky ones that have the heat elements already.

Digging around under my seat (which isn't too easy ), I found a connector block labeled as follows:

1. CAN (nur F) LS
2. VERS.
3. HH
4. LV
5. HV
6. L/K
7. LE (plus a switch symbol)
8. HE (plus a switch symbol)
9. NB (no pins and no connector)
10. NB (no pins and no connector)
11. FDS (pins but no connector)

Do any of these look like the heating elements?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
That connector block you are referring to is the SEAT CONTROL MODULE for power seats. The heating system has nothing to do with that control unit. Heating is seperate all together. Should be a plug with brown and black wires if I remember correctly. If you want, you can get the seperate heating elements from Steve from an A class. I have not tried this myself though. The factory method is replacing all the leather covers as these covers come with the heating elements built into the covers. I should have ash gray heated covers up soon if anyone is interested.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 PM

CLK320
A couple of pictures showing the heating elements that may be usefull (and are cool to look at):
Attached Thumbnails I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan-seat-cut-away-1.jpg   I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan-seat-cut-away-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2005, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
those pics don't indicate the heating elements. The wire thing you see on the back portion is just the cushion support.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by bryanm
I would contact Steve in a second if he listed this "kit" as one of the offering on his website; I am assuming from what I have read in this thread so far that the cost of of the parts in minimal and probably not worth his bother.
It has nothing to do with that...I have plenty of switchrows with heated seat option in stock (for the sedans - not the coupes)...the wiring is cheap...BUT the W203 does NOT have a seatdesign that makes adding heated elements easy or usefull...In order to get maximal benefit out of the heated elements, they need to be placed right under the leather surface (on top of the foam that is sewn to the leather) and therefor the seat/foam seems have to be cut...and THAT is not something I would recommend or do myself on 203 seats...THUS the only proper way to get heated seats in a 203 is by swapping the leather elements that have the heated feature from factory - and that is expensive.

Adding heated elements underneath the foam sewn to the leather will not give you full benefit of the heated elements...that will be a waste of money and time.

greetingz,
Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM

CLK320
Hi Steve:

Thank you for the clarification. I guess what appears to be a heating element in the picture is the occupancy/weight detector for the SRS.

If you could point me in the right direction in determining if the seats in my 03-W209 already have the elements. If I'm one of the lucky ones, you've got an order for the balance of the required materials.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by capt_paul
I went to the dealer today and got the following quotes on the parts:

heat cable 203-540-30-05 $53.40 USD List
heat element 163-820-03-98 $118.80 USD List
heat element 163-820-04-98 $297.60 USD List

the heat element numbers used were a 163- because the 168- did not show up in the computer for the elements.

That makes the total a little over $1000. That's not even including the switch banks.
I think you may have to look in WIS not EPC for the W168 Heaters. In any case the W463, W202 is also valid.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
To see if you have the heaters, you would have to remove your seat to be eaiser. Then remove the cover to see if the wire is under neath. I doubt they left it hanging under your seat. You can check there also to see if there is a black and brown plug that's not connected. I doubt you will find it though. But, you can never tell.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 AM

CLK320
Sunman,

Thank you for the tips. Hopfully I can return the favour one day.

Since I'll have to pull the seats, this prject will have to wait for the nice weather to return (when the heated seats won't be needed ofcourse).

Does anyone have the WIS for W203/W209 seat removal handy?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by miroj
I think you may have to look in WIS not EPC for the W168 Heaters. In any case the W463, W202 is also valid.
No matter what heated paddings you get, the 203 seats just don't have a suiteable design to add these paddings in between of the leather (cloth) and the foam underneath...and putting the paddings underneath the foam is of no use (hardly any heat to come through)...

greetingz,
Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Banned

Sunman,

Thank you for the tips. Hopfully I can return the favour one day.

Since I'll have to pull the seats, this prject will have to wait for the nice weather to return (when the heated seats won't be needed ofcourse).

Does anyone have the WIS for W203/W209 seat removal handy?
Best to remove the four screws holding in the seat and tilt the front backwards so you can see the bottom of the cushion and its 4 mushroom shaped clips.

To remove the upright section you need to start from behind the seat with the backing plate.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
If you could point me in the right direction in determining if the seats in my 03-W209 already have the elements.
If it has the heating elements in a useful way, it has to have the 4 pin connector at the front of the seat as well...no need to take the seat out, just look for a square 4 pin connector with 4 flat pins...if it has that in the bottom of the seat, it has the heating elements...

The US spec W208s were all prewired for heated seats...but didn't have the heated elements in the seats...he US spec W209 might be prewired as well...who knows...

greetingz,
Old 01-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
No matter what heated paddings you get, the 203 seats just don't have a suiteable design to add these paddings in between of the leather (cloth) and the foam underneath...and putting the paddings underneath the foam is of no use (hardly any heat to come through)...

greetingz,
Looking at the parts prices for W203, isnt the heated fabric quite reasonable as a new part ? Especially if the existing is looking worn and tired after 3-4 years.

If it costs near to $260 USD for the heated fabric covers for one front seat - would people consider that affordable ? Apart from renewing the trim, it comes with heating also (about 50% of the overall value).

After looking at the prices I think that replacement fabric and twin (man made) leather are not out of reach for most people. Full leather is the one that makes people faint.

Last edited by miroj; 01-09-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 AM

CLK320
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
If it has the heating elements...
I keeping my fingers crossed.

On the next nice day I'll take a look and hopefully I can give you an order for the balance of the parts.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:14 AM

GL 450 CDI
This is an old post and I am hoping you guys are still there.
To my delight, I found myself original MB 2nd row, rear heated seat covers. The ones that came on the vehicle were non heated covers.
The car came with heated front seats and that's been great for us but not for the rear passengers. I figured it could be a straight forward thing, add the cables from the seats to the rear control unit located under the seat and from there to the switch cluster and voila. Not so.
What I cannot find are the part nos for the cables from the heated seats to the control unit which is under the seat and from there to the switch cluster.
I bought a switch cluster from ebay that has seat heater switches together with the air-condition and temp etc. What I am missing is the cables.
I use the german parts search diagrams online manual 'MB TEILE' and cables are shown as lines on the diagram, it is difficult to read or I don't know how to read it.
Does anyone know where could I see these cables on a proper diagram or does anyone have the part nos of the cables I would need to order.
I can you guys have been down that road and would really appreciate your insight of how to go about this final stage. The new seat covers are already on the vehicle.
Also, would I have to get a new control unit, I am going blind here as I can see a few opening for cables on the control unit under the seat and I figure they are for the heater cables.
Could someone please guide me on this.

MB teile online parts search many times does not show details parts that MB dealers would on their website, would you know of another where I can get more details. What do the gurus use. Thank you in advance