C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tire & wheel question & pic request: Mille Miglia Bello

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire & wheel question & pic request: Mille Miglia Bello

My 2005 SC came with summer tires, but we have just gotten our first local frost advisory so... it looks as though it's time to order a set of winter tires & matching wheels.

My question.
I am considering Michelins (Pilot Alpin PA2) or Dunlops (Winter Sport M3) tires on 17in Mille Miglia Bello wheels. I have read the TireRack reviews and searched these forums, but would still be grateful if anyone could share experiences with either -- especially the wheels.

My favor Request.
The picture on the TireRack does not give a full idea of what the Bello would look like on my car. Does anyone have these wheels on their C (sedan or coupe)? If so, would you be so kind as to post a picture?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
I've got the Mille Miglia Bellos for winter tires (Dunlop WinterSport M2's), but in 16inch size (smaller brakes on the 2003's allow this).

The wheels look OK on the car (more luxury-sedan rather than sports-sedan). The tires make a huge difference in the snow (the Michelin Pilot Sports are damn near worthless in more than 1/4 inch).

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

The wheel quality was rather good, considering the low price (can't expect BBS quality at <$100/wheel pricing)

After going through last winter (worst in many, many years for Charlotte and surrounding area), I definitely don't regret spending the money on the wheels/tires.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:56 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply! One comment and some follow-up questions:

Comment: For those interested, you can find a photo of an alabaster white 2003 coupe with 16-in Bellos on mbklasse.com here. I'd still like to see pics of the 17-inchers (ideally on a silver car ), because AFAICT neither the PA2s nor the M3s are available in the size 225x50R16 .

Questions: Could you elaborate on "rather good?" How do the fit and finish, strength on impact, weight, etc. compare to (i) other brands you have experienced and (ii) to MB OEM wheels?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by ayilar
Questions: Could you elaborate on "rather good?" How do the fit and finish, strength on impact, weight, etc. compare to (i) other brands you have experienced and (ii) to MB OEM wheels?
Quality of the wheel itself seems to be good. Haven't 'stress tested' them (I try to avoid curbs/potholes/debris as much as possible) yet. The finish is very nice (painted center with a polished lip). The casting is a bit rough in places (under the painted finish), but the quality of the finish is very good.

Weight is comparable to other mid-range wheels. It's not heavy, but it's not a forged wheel either.

I've had other wheels from cheap junk (my first car - a Datsun 200SX), to Revolution Racing Wheels. These are in the middle for weight, appear to be adequately strong (Mille Miglia is a rather well-known brand), and look pretty good.

Additionally, with the large flat face, and smooth holes, they are very easy to clean (important in the winter, with the slag/salt/sand that they spread on the roads).
Old 10-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Again, thanks a lot for the rapid reply. Ease of cleaning is a big plus, and your comment echoes that of another owner.

One more question: how does the Bello compare to your original MB wheels?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know what it is that you're looking to compare.

I like the look of the original wheels (7-spoke) better. I think for quality of paint/finish they are equal. The original wheels have a better quality of casting surface (smoother under the paint). As for strength, I can't compare, as I haven't really hit anything of significance with either set. For weight, I think that the Bellos are lighter, but they're also 16 x 7 with 205/55/16 compared to 16 x 7.5 with 225/45-17.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 AM

Yes, your answers are all very helpful -- thanks a real bunch! I'll be ordering the wheels and tires within a week or two.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 PM

I received four Bello's (17x8) and matching Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires (225x45R17) last week, and had them installed this afternoon. My first impressions of the wheels agree with Dmatre's:

1. The finish quality is similar but the OEM wheels have a slight edge. As a side note, two of the Bellos had small scratches when I got them from the TireRack (one had a nick on its machined lip, another had a couple of minor scratches on the paint inside the wheel -- I decided not to ask for an exchange, too much hassle for winter wheels that will likely see much more abuse). I may add spacers the next time I put the Bellos on (i.e., Winter 2005).
2. On the Coupe, I also like the style of the OEM's better. My wife, in contrast, sees little difference between the two sets -- even though she finds the OEMs too "aggressive" (exactly what I like about them).

A couple of further notes on aesthetics:

3. The Bellos are really flush with the rubber of the Michelins -- I am a bit worried about cuffing the wheels on curbs.
4. I personally prefer the 100%-painted look of the OEMs to the machined lip on the Bellos, but from a distance it's hard to see.

Last edited by ayilar; 11-08-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:42 AM

Here are a few pictures that I took on a parking lot yesterday and downsampled to 300k or so.

Though the sun is playing up, these pics give a good idea of how the wheels look in reality -- the rears, under most lighting conditions, seem a tad smaller than the fronts (optical illusion), and the fronts are flush with the front wheel upper arch.
Attached Thumbnails Tire &amp; wheel question &amp; pic request: Mille Miglia Bello-img_4595red.jpg   Tire &amp; wheel question &amp; pic request: Mille Miglia Bello-img_4597red.jpg   Tire &amp; wheel question &amp; pic request: Mille Miglia Bello-img_4599red.jpg   Tire &amp; wheel question &amp; pic request: Mille Miglia Bello-img_4601red.jpg  
Old 11-11-2004, 01:17 AM

After a few more days of driving, two more comments:

(i) The PA2 tires are indeed a bit quieter than the OEM Primacys, but not any softer.

(ii) Several people have mentioned that spacers are not the greatest idea, so I won't get any.