C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

XM Commander Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gas sipping C-Class
XM Commander Installed

I had a difficult time with placement and decided on the pictured spot. It does not impede shifting at all and when I rest my arm on the arm rest, my hand is in the perfect location to reach the buttons.
It's not permanent and the display can be lifted off (Velcro) so that the cup holder can swing out. This won't be a big isue though, cause my wife and I usually share a drink when we ride together.
Attached Thumbnails XM Commander Installed-merc-xm2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Almost a Member!

05' c230 SS
How is the sound quality? I've had absolutely terrible luck with FM transmitters.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't need the fm transmitter as the 2005 radio has aux in. But, I had the FM mod from Delphi and it worked pretty good and now I have aux in from Comand but it's not significantly better while driving (sure it's better when standing still with the engine off but you lose that in the real world). The biggest down side to having the control mounted there is that you can't see it while you drive. I had mine in the ashtray and it was too dificult to see and use so I gave up and enjoy FM for now. I'll see if anything worthwhile shows up at CES in January. Sirius stock skyrocketed on the news that Howerd Stern is going there.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
im using my Aux input for my XM as well. like buell i have noticed it doesnt sound as good while driving compared to engine off standing still. i too have mine in the ashtray, but the pre 05's dont have the lighter in there to take up space.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:24 PM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Looks very nice.

Did you open the center console? If so, I would be VERY interested in getting the steps for opening the console.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

05' c230 SS
I always forget about the aux input! I've got my ipod hooked up and I always just forget I have that input. I constantly listen to my ipod. I miss XM and I'm paying for it so I might as well hook it up!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:05 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
Unfortunately, I don't have the HK upgraded stereo. Does the stock MB stereo also have this aux input. The reason I ask is because, like my GTI, the XM comes through the FM modulator quieter than if it were a direct input.
If mine can be wired directly in, then I'm going back and having that done.

I don't have a real issue with looking down at the display. I usually toggle between the same five stations and I can do that without looking down.

I was wondering how you guys had the Delfi in the ashtray. I didn't realize the 05's were different.

Scott

Last edited by scottisha; 10-07-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

05' c230 SS
Originally Posted by scottisha
Unfortunately, I don't have the HK upgraded stereo. Does the stock MB stereo also have this aux input. The reason I ask is because, like my GTI, the XM comes through the FM modulator quieter than if it were a direct input.
If mine can be wired directly in, then I'm going back and having that done.

I don't have a real issue with looking down at the display. I usually toggle between the same five stations and I can do that without looking down.

I also was wondering how you guys had the Delfi in the ashtray. I didn't realize the 05's were different.

Scott
Pre '05 the ashtray didn't have the cigarette lighter in it and from what I understand they did a lot of dremilling to get the unit to fit!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:38 PM
GGM

2008 E350

I was wondering how you guys had the Delfi in the ashtray. I didn't realize the 05's were different.

Scott
I have my Roady2 in the ashtray of my '03. It fits perfectly. I use a remote to change the channels without looking. Built in FM modulator works fine. Love my XM!!

Gary
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wingless
Looks very nice.

Did you open the center console? If so, I would be VERY interested in getting the steps for opening the console.
On mine I open the ashtray and pull on the edge of the metal console plate (or wood if you have a C240/C320). There are two clips near the edge and two in the middle. When you break these four clips free, slide the plate towards the front to free it from where the armrest is. This is on my 6-spd like the picture above. The bottom of the boot pops off and gives you leverage in pulling the plate up.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:51 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
*Just a side note*
This model Commander has a neat little option. When I hear a song I like, I can ad it to my favorites and the display will notify me when that particular song is being played, no matter what channel It's on and no matter what channel I'm listening to. I love that!

Scott
Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
On mine I open the ashtray and pull on the edge of the metal console plate (or wood if you have a C240/C320). There are two clips near the edge and two in the middle. When you break these four clips free, slide the plate towards the front to free it from where the armrest is. This is on my 6-spd like the picture above. The bottom of the boot pops off and gives you leverage in pulling the plate up.
Thank you for the information. It is my understanding that the '05 is different from earlier years. I am interested in the '05 instructions.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:25 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
Thank you for the information. It is my understanding that the '05 is different from earlier years. I am interested in the '05 instructions.
From what I saw, You're not putting a Delfi or Delfi Roadi into an 05's ash tray compartment, unless you want to remove the cig lighter.

We don't seem to have a lot of options that retain a factory or somewhat factory look.

Scott
Old 10-07-2004, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scottisha, You have the best option for retainting the factory look, get the MB Sirius device and control it from your HU, steering wheel control and get the song info on the instrument panel. Anything less is a compromise and one I would take to save $800. If I decide to go back to sat radio I would just get the vehicle specific mounts from panavise or pro-fit that mount the device next to the radio. A Roady2 is so small it doesn't bother me that it's there but at least it's very visible and usable there. It also stores the favorite song thing. The coolest is the SkyFi2 that records a half hour so you can record a talk show you want or replay a song you like.

Wingless, it's real easy, just go to the dealer and try it on one of their showroom cars and see if it pops off the same way. It takes a good effort to pop it up.... Take pics.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 PM

My gas sipping C-Class
Old 10-08-2004, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Wingless, it's real easy, just go to the dealer and try it on one of their showroom cars and see if it pops off the same way.
!
Or, someone with an '05 who has done this could respond.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

!
Or, someone with an '05 who has done this could respond.
Sometimes you just have to be first
Old 10-08-2004, 10:22 AM

It looks, from the images, like scottisha was first, that's why I asked him.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Just like to say hi, this is my first post. You guys helped me out alot on figuring out which car to buy, I just ordered yesterday an '05 C230 SS 6MT slated for delivery on 12/12 (CANT WAIT!!!) My first Benz, and my first new car!

Anyway...

From what I saw, You're not putting a Delfi or Delfi Roadi into an 05's ash tray compartment, unless you want to remove the cig lighter.

We don't seem to have a lot of options that retain a factory or somewhat factory look.

Scott
There might be hope on the way, Terk, maker of the XM commander, based out of LI is making whats called XM Direct. its an XM tuner that you purchase the appropiate interface kit. They currently have interfaces for satellite ready aftermarket HUs from Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer and Factory interfaces for GMs, Chryslers, and BMW-Minis that have satellite ready factory radios. It does not matter whether its Sirius or XM ready. This will allow you to control all the XM features through the radio just like the Sirius setup. I emailed Terk on information about plans for releasing an XM tuner interface for MBs... We'll see how that goes, I'll let you all know as soon as I can (Worst comes to worst, they are loacated 2 doors down from my dads biggest customer, I'll go in person!)