C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Fog lights??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
C230 Fog lights??

Here is another stupid question.....when do the small fog lights on the bottom of the fascia illuminate?

I have tried all positions of the headlight switch with no results. I have noticed that they do light up when I unlock my doors with the remote in the dark. Are they only for illuminating a path as you walk to the car or do they come on at some other time as well?

Michelle
Old 05-19-2002, 01:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: C230 Fog lights??

Originally posted by MsMercedes
Here is another stupid question.....when do the small fog lights on the bottom of the fascia illuminate?

I have tried all positions of the headlight switch with no results. I have noticed that they do light up when I unlock my doors with the remote in the dark. Are they only for illuminating a path as you walk to the car or do they come on at some other time as well?

Michelle
you have to eaither have the headlights on or the parking lights on then u pull the switch out once that will illuminate the front fog lights then u will see a green light light up next to your headlight switch showing u there on.

if u pull it out twice u will turn on your rear foglight i belive it lights up red or orange next to the switch i cant rember because i never use them they are only ment for very bad weather. and its only one light that lights up in the back. u dont need that on it looks stuipid. IMHO

hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:10 AM

Turn your lights on like normal, the pull the headlight dial out 1 click to turn on the front foglights. Pulling it out a second click turns on a rear fog light (so my salesguy tells me), but I haven't really checked out the rear foglight.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:11 AM

Ooooooooh thank you!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2002, 10:46 AM

2002 C230K
Is your dealer close? Did they spend a lot of time with you going over everything in your car? My delivery consultant spent 1 1/2 hours answering or finding answers to every question I had when I picked up my car. I knew a lot of stuff about the car before hand, but these guys are great. If you have any questions about you car at all, the delivery consultant should have given you their card and you should be able to call them anytime. You should also be able to set up another appointment with them to over the car if you'd like
Old 05-19-2002, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by WebGuyNJ
Is your dealer close? Did they spend a lot of time with you going over everything in your car? My delivery consultant spent 1 1/2 hours answering or finding answers to every question I had when I picked up my car. I knew a lot of stuff about the car before hand, but these guys are great. If you have any questions about you car at all, the delivery consultant should have given you their card and you should be able to call them anytime. You should also be able to set up another appointment with them to over the car if you'd like
i hate those people that show u where everything is they are pretty anoying they did not leave me alone when i picked up my coupe i had to scream at the girl to leave me the fu*k alone i would not normally talk like that but this lady was right on top of me and i was very nice and said no thanks i really dont need any help but she just kept showing me and asking me if i know. i could not take it anymore.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
LOL! I just had to ask my sales guy how to put it in reverse. Hahahaha. Everything else I figured out.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:08 AM

No, my dealer is about an hour away from me. My salesman did spend over an hour with me, but I had just worked a long shift at the local Mitsubishi plant where I work, and I was just ready to take my new car and hit the highway and head for home so most of what he said went in one ear and out the other!! I had to wait all weekend plus that Monday to pick up my car so I was already chomping at the bit to drive my new coupe. Plus I'd had to get up that morning at 3:30 AM for work so I was pretty tired, etc. I was just ready to go home and go to bed......:o And really, my salesman spent so much time talking about the car's features that I kind of glazed over....

I know some questions would be easy to call my salesman and ask, or go get my manual and look up the answer, but I am usually already at this forum and it's actually easier to ask my cohorts here. You can always guarantee that you'll get a speedy and accurate answer with no long-distance bill calling the dealership!!

Michelle
Old 05-20-2002, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MsMercedes

You can always guarantee that you'll get a speedy and accurate answer with no long-distance bill calling the dealership!!

Michelle
you can always use 1-800-COLLECT... it will save you a buck or 2 ..and it will also bring alyssa milano to you as well...
Old 05-20-2002, 01:37 AM

Re: Re: C230 Fog lights??

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

if u pull it out twice u will turn on your rear foglight i belive it lights up red or orange next to the switch i cant rember because i never use them they are only ment for very bad weather. and its only one light that lights up in the back. u dont need that on it looks stuipid. IMHO

hope this helps.
When I was driving in a terrible rainstorm last week, I came up behind a Volvo with one taillight brighter. It made the visibility to me a lot better, and I did the same on my car. It may look stupid, but I saw for myself how much it increases your visibility to cars coming up from behind. With all the misfortune TimmyC230Boy has had, he should probably keep it on all the time to ward off 45mph tanker trucks, poor female drivers and itinerant knife wielding carjackers.

Last edited by DrMike; 05-20-2002 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
A recommendation...

PLEASE don't use your rear fog light in anything other than fog with about 50 m visibility, or very heavy , blowing snow, at highway speed, where the lights on the cars ahead about 50 m cannot be seen through the snow.

Trust me, in rain, seeing a rear fog light on mainly indicates that the driver has no idea what a rear fog light is for. It can also create additional reflections on the wet road and obscure the fact that cars may be braking. In this one case, I wish that Mercedes-Benz (of all manufacturers!) would take its responsibility for safe use of the rear fog light seriously by explaining in the owner's manual what it is for.

In Europe, where they invented rear fog lights, and they've been standard equipment on most cars for 25 years, you'd get a very stiff fine if caught using it in anything other than fog with sub-50 metre visibility.

I saw an Oldsmobile today with twin rear foglights on in broad sunlight. Why did GM have to make these things available to the unwashed masses? It's bad enough dealing with Volvo drivers, who all seem to abuse rear fog lights systematically.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:47 AM

2002 C240, Comand, Blk/Blk Leather, C1, C2, K2b
Lightbulb

Hey guys new to this board here but have alot info on the newer MBs (taken my past 2 c's all apart so i know the guts well too) But just want to give you all a helpfull hint about the foglights... the rear light is VERY bright and almost useless in everyday driving but it's great at night if you have some jerk on your ***... try it and watch them pul away
K
Old 05-20-2002, 04:32 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Lightbulb

There is an option in the car's computer to turn off those fog lights. They're called "locator lights" and are used to find your car in the dark by simply unlocking your car. Just look this option up in your user's guide.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:20 PM

is there a way to replace the bulbs in the fog lights? i tried reading the faq and i ordered the bulbs it said to, but i cant figure how to get to the light housing, any help would be appreciated, would my dealer do it?