C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Power steering pump overheating! HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203
Exclamation Power steering pump overheating! HELP!

Hi,
could someone help me find the cause of the power steering system, because the power steering pump overheats very much (the oil evaporates, the tank began to pour out, so it either broke or something with the o-ring). It started with the fact that after a few drifts, the pump began to hiss and began to pour out slightly (you could feel it when the oil was heating up). After some time, the pump was completely dead, I barely got home, every now and then I had to add oil. I replaced the pump with a replacement SKV, which is heating up very much, the power steering works better sometimes worse, at low speeds you can hear the sound as if it was frictioning. I calledto mechanic and he said it was probably a factory defect and that I should send it back for complaints. I also showed it to the mechanic, he said it was rather the pump. The oil was changed. Maybe it needs to be flushed somehow? I took off the pump again and will send it tomorrow for this complaint, but I'm afraid that this is not the fault of this pump, but something else is happening with this system. Have any of you had similar situations or have any idea what could be the reason? I care about time because I've been repairing this car for almost a month, and there are no results, so I'm looking for what can cause such a defect. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mercedes-benz w203 1.8K 2005
Old 12-15-2022, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Might be a clog somewhere. Are you using factory fluid?

The fluid should constantly be circulating, when the steering wheel is steady and turning. Not sure how to test that without making a huge mess though.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:59 AM

w203
Originally Posted by slammer111
Might be a clog somewhere. Are you using factory fluid?

The fluid should constantly be circulating, when the steering wheel is steady and turning. Not sure how to test that without making a huge mess though.
I was thinking about clog, but i dont know how to check it. I took off pump and today and im going to look inside pump to veryfiy there are some filings. But in other space I doesn't know how to check.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Inside system is a relief valve to protect it from over-pressure and well blowing things up.
YOU can sense this when you do a full turn and hit the end you get a little squeal sound which is the relief valve venting the pump flow at pressure back to its little tank.

Some where the oil is going from a high pressure to low pressure without performing work.

Feel around for the hottest PS part and 98% sure the fault lies within.

My guess is the valve if it gets hot without turning.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:07 AM

w203
Originally Posted by ygmn
Inside system is a relief valve to protect it from over-pressure and well blowing things up.
YOU can sense this when you do a full turn and hit the end you get a little squeal sound which is the relief valve venting the pump flow at pressure back to its little tank.

Some where the oil is going from a high pressure to low pressure without performing work.

Feel around for the hottest PS part and 98% sure the fault lies within.

My guess is the valve if it gets hot without turning.
But are you thinking the fault is in power steering pump or in somewhere in system?

Last edited by Michaqu; 12-15-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
The pump is connected to the serpentine belt. Unless the impeller is completely destroyed, pumps don't just "fail". I'm guessing there's a clog somewhere.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:16 AM

w203
Anyone have an idea how to detect where there might be a clog in the system? And how to resolve this problem? I have idea to send this pump to factory on complaint and they will veryfiy its pump fault. If pump isn't broken I will find out about the bug in the system, but in this case I have to wait about a month for a response.