C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemann ring pulley fitted and updates.. (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Kleemann ring pulley fitted and updates.. (long)

Well.... you must have seen some post abouts the results of Kleemann ring pulley......so this is one of them.... now lets straight to the results shall we....

Oh...BTW.... my car is W203 C200K with auto transmission.

The installation was done by professional mechanic and it took them about 2-3 hours.... if you are thinking of doing it yourself then I guess that you'll find a hard time when it comes to change the alternator pulley (the hardest part of installation), try to get your friend to help you if you want to install it yourself.

I drove the car without disconnecting the battery.... and I can feel that the car makes about at least 10% more power than stock -- this is according to my "Buttdyno" , and the car felt significantly faster too. Then I disconnected the battery overnight (about 10 hours).

Before the pulley upgrade I've got mid-high 9 on G-Tech. After 85 miles (140 kms), I did some 10 runs 0-60 (0-100kms)...and the results:
* 5 runs with G-Tech and I've got 7.3 - 7.5 secs 0-60 .....
* 5 runs with stop watch I've got 8-5-9.0 secs 0-60.....

I was very surprised when I got the numbers from my G-Tech....I double checked that everything was correctly setup...and it was, I think the numbers from G-Tech is way too optimistic cos I did a quick check when I ran with G-Tech and noticed that the G-Tech final times were measured when the car was still going about 50-55miles (85-90kms)...This was why I got my stop watch and I got 8.5 secs, and I think this was more realistic result eventho I really wanted to believe that my car can ran mid 7 just by installing Kleemann ring pulley .... just wishful thinking... :p

The supercharger whine is definitely louder than stock...I must admit that I like the s/c whine specially when the car revs at high rpms . Power gain I think are noticeable across all 5 gears but very noticeable for the 1st 3 gears .... I personally like doing 50-75 miles (80-130 kms) in 3rd gear...

One unexpected result (I think) was that the gear change/ratio is shorter after the pulley upgrade. Normally my car would upshift at about 37.5miles (60 kms) from 1st to 2nd, and at about 62 miles (100kms) from 2nd to third. But after the pulley upgrade the car is now upshift at 30-32miles (50-55 kms) from 1st to 2nd and 50-53miles (80-85kms) from 2nd to third....I wonder why?? ...is it because the boost comes a lot quicker than stock?? .... for those people who installed ring pulley.... do you get this effect??

Where do I go from here....well...I seriously thinking of getting exhaust (from catback) and air filter. I'm considering either Supersprint or AMG exhaust. These upgrades will add about 13 hps at flywheel. I'm hoping to get high 7 or low 8 with exhaust and air filter. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Supersprint cos AMG is 30% dearer altho the AMG looks better. Anybody has any experience with those exhaust??

Was it worth it .... I would say...HELL YEAH!! assuming that nothing will go wrong in the next 5 years (real loud knock on the wood)....only time will tell.

I took some pictures during the installation...not much but at least it might give you some ideas what kinda work needed to install the pulleys.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bajaiman

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Congrats!

Glad you are happy with the ring. Good to have feedback as I spent some time w/ Kleemann on the phone on Friday asking questions and listening intently, and with the ring pulley it seems like you are getting the most bang for your buck.

As soon as I take delivery and put a couple of miles on the car, I may venture to the ring.

Have fun! and keep us updated!
Old 05-20-2002, 02:47 PM

Bajaiman

When your car is changing the gears at lower RPM than before, it's hopefully not at full throttle ??????.

It shoul be at light throttle ??????.

If it's at light throttle, it's changeing at lower RPM because of the higher torque.
The ECU are calculating the torque and are shifting after it, use that torque instead of high RPM's, as you did when the car was standard and you will safe fuel.

The gearshift will adapt like the ECU, so it will for sure change
over the next 500 - 1000 km's
Old 05-20-2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Lucas
Bajaiman

When your car is changing the gears at lower RPM than before, it's hopefully not at full throttle ??????.

It shoul be at light throttle ??????.

Excuse my ignorance.....but I don't really get what you meant
Old 05-20-2002, 08:13 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Bajaiman,

Sorry to say that my real Slk 230 AMG exhaust can't feel a thing !!! So, if you are hoping 13 hp at the flywheels, sorry but you will be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Gearshift

Originally posted by bajaiman

Excuse my ignorance.....but I don't really get what you meant
Your cars shifting is determined by a speed over time calculation (v/t) at part throttle. The engine makes more torque now, it should accelerate more quickly at partial throttle openings. The ECU will make a gearchange earlier- but only at part throttle openings. At WOT (wide open throttle) it should change gears at max RPM as usual.

As Lucas mentioned your ECU (as it pertains to gear changes) will reset its baseline adpatives over the next 500 to 1000 km, shifting as you remember it will return soon.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by linh
Bajaiman,

Sorry to say that my real Slk 230 AMG exhaust can't feel a thing !!! So, if you are hoping 13 hp at the flywheels, sorry but you will be disappointed.
Linh,

Do you have any other mods apart from the exhaust?.... now with Kleemann pulley I would've assume that it would create more exhaust gas than stock so that means getting a bigger piping (say...2.5 inch vs 2.25 inch stock) would help.....I'm not quite sure on this.....any thoughts??
Old 05-20-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Gearshift

Originally posted by KLEEMANN

The ECU will make a gearchange earlier- but only at part throttle openings. At WOT (wide open throttle) it should change gears at max RPM as usual.
The car upshifted at max rpm at WOT at the moment its just at a lower speed although quicker to reach that speed.... hopefully in 500-1000 kms the gear would shift at normal speed..... if it won't I won't complain... at least I can reach 100 kms 1 second faster -- according to my stopwatch.....

I just realised 1 little coincidence.... now my G-Tech stopped measuring the 0-60 time when the car reaches 53 miles (85 kms), and the gear change in 2nd gear at WOT is also somewhere about that speed.....Could the speedo got effected in anyway by changing the pulleys??...maybe my G-Tech is correct and my gear change is also correct....it could just be my speedo thats not accurate anymore

Thanks a lot Kleemann for supplying me the boost kit ... I'm one happy customer
Old 05-21-2002, 01:17 AM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
HM...

what were your 0-60 times before the pulley kit?
Old 05-21-2002, 01:21 AM

Re: HM...

Originally posted by Scylas
what were your 0-60 times before the pulley kit?

Before the pulley kit I’ve got mid-high 9 seconds 0-60 with G-Tech, after the pulley kit I’ve got 7.4 secs average with the same G-Tech.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:01 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Excellent info Bajaiman. Glad you are satisfied with the results. It makes it a whole lotta easier for me to decide wheter to go with the Kleemann ring pulley or not. I'm also driving a C200K sedan with auto tranny so your performance figures should be appliciable to my car as well. Do you have any plans on getting it dynoed?

Well, well, the hunt for a Kleemann ring pulley has begun! Guess the easiest way for me to get one, is going to Kleemann Headquarters in Denmark and have it installed there... Also thanks for posting pics.

One question: How much did it cost you in total (parts and installation)?

Old 05-21-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by DtS
Excellent info Bajaiman. Glad you are satisfied with the results. It makes it a whole lotta easier for me to decide wheter to go with the Kleemann ring pulley or not. I'm also driving a C200K sedan with auto tranny so your performance figures should be appliciable to my car as well. Do you have any plans on getting it dynoed?

Well, well, the hunt for a Kleemann ring pulley has begun! Guess the easiest way for me to get one, is going to Kleemann Headquarters in Denmark and have it installed there... Also thanks for posting pics.

One question: How much did it cost you in total (parts and installation)?

I don't know if I would dyno the car.... maybe I should....

I just did 3 runs 0-60 on the C32 with the same G-Tech I used to measure the time in the C200K yesterday.... and the results I've got with the C32 were quite accurate (5.5 secs, 5.3 secs and 5.2 secs), I compared the results with my stopwatch, G-Tech results were almost similar to stopwatch. So that means the G-Tech was working properly on the C32 and should be working properly aswell when I used it on C200K. Damn...these G-Tech numbers are making me confused ...... If I dyno the car, would I be able to get 0-60 time from the dyno machine??.... if I can then I would definitely do it. I really wanted to believe that my C200K can do 7.4 secs 0-60 from G-Tech result

The whole system cost about AU$1500 (AU$1250 for the package shipped + AU$250 for installation) or US$800 including installation....oh I also got 2 extra belts with the system as Kleemann told me that each belt would last about 30K miles.

Well DtS....I surely hope that you would install the same system so that we can compare results
Old 05-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Re: Gearshift

Originally posted by bajaiman

The car upshifted at max rpm at WOT at the moment its just at a lower speed although quicker to reach that speed.... hopefully in 500-1000 kms the gear would shift at normal speed..... if it won't I won't complain... at least I can reach 100 kms 1 second faster -- according to my stopwatch.....

I just realised 1 little coincidence.... now my G-Tech stopped measuring the 0-60 time when the car reaches 53 miles (85 kms), and the gear change in 2nd gear at WOT is also somewhere about that speed.....Could the speedo got effected in anyway by changing the pulleys??...maybe my G-Tech is correct and my gear change is also correct....it could just be my speedo thats not accurate anymore

Thanks a lot Kleemann for supplying me the boost kit ... I'm one happy customer
The boost system will have no effect on speedo readings.

The ex piping on your C200 is the same size as the C230- you are making the same HP now- I doubt you will find any power in 2.5" piping, maybe more noise.

Our companies 2002 C230 is puting 200hp to the rear wheels with only pulley modifications- stock airbox, air filter, ex system. We have tried countless combinations of these items- none have provided power gains significant enough to mention ( the power fluctuation could be accounted for by machine error alone).

Enjoy your KLEEMANN boost system!!
Old 05-21-2002, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Question to Kleemann:

are the belts for the upgraded pulley commonly available or only from Kleemann dealers?

TIA
Old 05-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Belts-

Heres a complicated answer to a simple question:

The EXACT dimensions of our belt are NOT duplicated with Goodyear, Gates, Pirelli, etc. These belts are made to our spec by ROLANDS- OEM supplier to Volvo, SAAb and others. There are belts that are a tad longer and shorter. You cant use the shorter belt as the tensioner wont allow it. The longer ones are a tad too long- over time they will stretch and the tensioner may not apply enough force to the belt to prevent slipping. Replacement belts are $17, no worse than NAPA, Pep Boys etc. We have plenty on hand.

The belt will last as long as the standard belt- I usually say 30K but in reality its probably 45K.