C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230 4MATIC Stuck in Limp Mode, Electrical Issues, MANY Codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W124 E300 Diesel
2005 C230 4MATIC Stuck in Limp Mode, Electrical Issues, MANY Codes

Hello,
I have a 2005 C230 4MATIC stuck in limp mode with CEL and 10 different codes (summarized interpretation from mercedesmedic.com/faultcodes):
P202C (Many issues regarding CAN signal, CAN BUS signal from EIS; coolant thermostat/temp regulator)
P2097 throttle valve lock (ice up)
P2075 EGR / Pruge (sic) control system slight leak
P2063 Component N15/3 (ETC ctrl. mod.) memory is fault / fault stored in N15/3 (EGS controller) (P0748)
P205F Component N15/3 (ETC ctrl. mod.) memory is fault / fault stored in N15/3 (EGS controller) (P0748)
P2031 (Many issues with O2 sensor upstream TWC, cylinder pre-heating plugs)
P203A (Many issues with recirculating air flap actuator, insufficient fuel)
P2107 Component Y3/6y1 (Modulating pressure control solenoid valve) is faulty/internal elec. check failed
P2101 Component Y3/6y3(1-2 and 4-5 shift solenoid valve) has a short circuit to ground OR Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance
P2100 Component Y3/6y3 (1-2 and 4-5 shift solenoid valve) is faulty/int. elec. check failed OR Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit/Open
The story: I work at a ski resort. On my second day there (and the second day driving this car in the snow), after parking the car in the parking lot, I come back and discover that many systems are behaving wierdly: Remote/power door locks and power windows, seats do not work; lights on "AUTO" mode come off and on, the heater fan and center console interface lights come off and on; wipers seem to struggle, turn/hazard lights do not work, aftermarket radio has no power. Eventually heater fan stops. Many alerts come, go, come again on the center MFD: ESP, lights, display, etc. I leave the car there overnight for two days, removing and reinserting fuses. Suddenly, one afternoon, every system works as normal, save the rear sunshade which stopped working shortly after I bought the car four months ago.
I drive the car like this for three days with no issue at all. Then, one afternoon on my day off, I go to buy groceries. The aftermarket radio loses power. Then, I realize the CEL light is on and the car is stuck in limp mode! I try leaving it to sit for a while, leaving it to idle for a while, pulling and reinserting all the cabin and a few under-hood fuses, hoping that the problem will fix itself just as it appeared by itself. No such luck this time. The exhaust smells fuel-rich, although I haven't noted the smell before and it is very cold here.
I tow it to a mechanic and after scanning with an OBD2, he reports the above 10 codes and tells me to take it to a dealer, he is too intimidated to work on it.
Prior to this whole episode, the CEL and Limp mode came on occasionally when starting the car but went away after a restart.
Could anyone offer some advice/opinion on this matter?
Old 12-30-2022, 05:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
C230K M271 CL203 2003 model
A low battery can cause lots of spurious alarms like this.. So i would start with cleaning all battery terminals, and making sure the battery is well charged up..
At the same time, i would be checking all chassis ground connections, as this can also be a cause of spurious alarms to occur..