C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP! Panel removal & door open wire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
taylor192

HELP! Panel removal & door open wire

I am trying to find the door module to get the 'door open' wire. I can't get the b-pillar panel off, yet got the carpet up and found tons of wires running along the door.
Are any of these the 'door open' wire?

There is a pic of the panel below the glove box I need to remove to get the carpet out. Its attached to the A-pillar.
Does it just pull out? I feel like I'm going to break it.

There is also a pic of the lower carpeted B-pillar panel.
How do I get it off?
Does it come off by itself, or is it attached the the armrest peice?

Lastly, I need to run a wire from the driver's front floor to the passenger front floor.
Is there a way to 'tunnel' under the centre console?

Thanks for any/all help!
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-pillar.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-b-pillar.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-wires.jpg  
Old 10-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are you trying to do?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Oil Change
what are you trying to do?
Top secret lighting project.

Puddle lights on steriods!

I'm running wires from under the driver & passenger side of the car to a module stuffed under the glove-box. This module then needs to be connected to the 'door open' wire which AFAIK is hidden behind the b-pillar panel which I am having difficulty removing.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by taylor192
Top secret lighting project.

Puddle lights on steriods!

I'm running wires from under the driver & passenger side of the car to a module stuffed under the glove-box. This module then needs to be connected to the 'door open' wire which AFAIK is hidden behind the b-pillar panel which I am having difficulty removing.
The "door open" wire (your term) on a Mercedes is switched ground. It looks like you are running a red wire, which in most cases indicates a powered line. It might not help you very much.

In any case, you can usually find these wires in the door sill. They will be brown with a colored stripe; the color depends on the year/model of the car and which door. You can probably search for a tutorial on installing illuminated door sills to find more information and probably the applicable colors. I normally just pull off the B-pillar cover and C-pillar covers to look at the back of the switches to see what color the wires are.

And the A-pillar kick panel cover is held on by a screw and clips. After you remove the screw (right in the middle of the panel!) you can pull the panel towards the rear of the car to remove it. It always is a good idea to release the clips with a small screwdriver. (Same for the B- and C- pillar covers, you need to release the clips.)

-s-
Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450
GL450 driver side panel door removed

Hi,

I don't know if this will help but I've taken off my door panel of my GL450.

I just removed my interior driver side panel on my 2007 GL450. Here are some pictures to show how it looks like. There are clips around the door panel that you can pop off. If you break any, you can order them at your Mercedes wholesale parts at $3.50 each. Also be really careful in ripping the flat wire when you take the panel off. These flat wires can tear really easily. If you accidentally ripped it (like I did), you can easily order these from your local Mercedes wholesale parts department. When I placed the order, i thought it would cost hundreds of dollars. But i was surprised the replacement part is really cheap. You can order new ones from your local Mercedes wholesale parts department and they sometime stock these. The part number for the major flat wire is A164-540-56-06 and they call it a coding plug and the cost is $39.60. The second flat wire that runs from the trunk control to the module and the part number is A164-540-59-06 and it costs less than $20.00 . I ordered it from your local Mercedes wholesale parts department and replaced it in my interior door.

Couple of things for you to remember when taking the door panel off. There is a chrome strip under the door handle that you have to pop off. Once you pop the chrome handle strip off, there are 2 torx bolts that needs a torx screw driver to take out. The next bolt which is really hard to find is inside your lock /unlock switch. You have to first pop off both the lock and unlock plastic buttons from the switch. Once you pop them off, you have to carefully use a small screwdriver to pop off the switches. Once you pop the switches off, there is a torx screw hidden behind those lock/unlock switches. Please note: before you unscrew the last torx bolt, please reach behind the panel and unhook 2 flat wires connected to the module. I made a mistake of unscrewing the last bolt hidden behind the lock/unlock switch and the whole door panel dropped to the floor ripping the flat wire off the module connection.

If you ripped any of the wire off, it really isn't a big deal to replace. Just order the parts and replace them. Parts are really inexpensive.

Hope this helps. My pictures attached.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086497...rSidePanelDoor
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-inside-door-panel-wires-exposed.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-inside-door-padding.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-inside-panel-padding.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-inside-panel-wiring-exposed.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-other-side-panel-without-chrome.jpg  

HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-view-inside-driver-side-door.jpg  

Last edited by MLHOM; 07-16-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450
More GL450 door panel pictures

I'm posting more pictures of my GL450 driver side door panel.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-where-torx-screw-hole-top-door.jpg   HELP! Panel removal & door open wire-where-flatwire-connects-module.jpg