C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Transmission issues - Electrical or mechanical?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, C55 AMG
Transmission issues - Electrical or mechanical?

I’ve been having some issues with my transmission on my 02 C32 with 56,000 miles. I’m using Xentry / STAR diagnostics interrogation.

Symptoms were losing drive / slipping out of drive entirely while on the highway, pulling over shutting off the car and turning it back on again gets me drive again for a bit and have to repeat this process to get the car home. There’s a high pitched whining seemingly coming from the bell housing area that sounds like a Dremmel tool buzzing when it starts acting this way.

One code has always been there, and after clearing codes, changing the conductor plate, putting in a Nissens radiator and flushing the system, this code has ultimately never cleared, is:

• P207B/P1999 “Read fault memory from control unit Transmission and rectify faults”

But at many times, there was no faults in the ETC when P207B was present.

Eventually last year I also got this code:

• P2066 / P0715 “Fault is stored in the component N15/3 electronic transmission control ETC/EGS module”

I changed the conductor plate and it had seemed to resolve the issue for a few months.

Then the same symptoms came back, this time I changed the radiator and flushed the trans as precautionary as it had the OEM Valeo radiator with a Nissens radiator. Fluid didn’t seem bad, didn’t smell burnt, wasn’t chunks of debris or anything in the pan. The flush seemed to resolve the issue for several months.

All through this, P207B would still not clear, but the car was movable. Shifts seemed a little meh, but it ran and shifted as it was supposed to.

Recently the following showed up recently under ETC event memory:

• P2600 The voltage supply of circuit 87 has undervoltage

After that, we got back to the same point as the beginning of this, where I’m losing drive and needing to turn the car off and on again to get drive back. Buzzing / Dremmel whining sound when reving in prep for a gear shift.

I have the following events in memory for the ETC currently:

• P2315 One of more messages from control unit A1 (instrument cluster) are not available on the CAN bus (CAN timeout fault)
  • P2600 The voltage supply of circuit 87 has undervoltage

I have the following faults codes in the ETC currently:

• P2500 The transmission has an impermissible transmission ratio
  • P2502 The gear is implausible or the transmission is lipping

I have the following fault codes in the engine control module currently:

• P207B/P1999 “Read fault memory from control unit Transmission and rectify faults”
  • P2069 Fault is stored in component N15/3 (ETC [EGS] control unit) P0730
  • P2027-001 Intake air temperature too high / check coolant pump and additional radiator (P1999)

I did check the TCM several months ago for fluid contamination, but don’t think there was (I’ll check again in the next day or two).

Ultimately I’m wondering if there is are any tests or diagnostics I can do to better pinpoint if this is an electrical issue with the transmission or a mechanical issue with the transmission?