C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket Alarm/Lock-Unlock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K
Aftermarket Alarm/Lock-Unlock

There are several threads on this and other boards dealing with the W203's central locking and alarm system. Some have issues with key fobs only working with the IR sensors in the front driver and passenger doors. Others have significantly diminished RF range when using key fob to lock/unlock their cars. Most of these issues originate with a partially functional and/or burned out antenna amplifier that attaches directly to the rear window.

I replaced the antenna amplifier on my 2003 C230K back in 2010, and it recently died again after 13 years. It started with diminished RF range about 6 months ago, then nothing. I checked all connections and made sure it was firmly seated against the window contacts. Both key fobs have new batteries, and both work well with the IR sensors in the doors.

As anyone who has dealt with this issue knows, replacing the antenna amplifier is very expensive IF you're lucky enough to even find one. MB doesn't make them anymore, so supply is extremely limited. Aftermarket AM/FM antenna amplifiers aren't an option, because the RF signal processor for the alarm/central locking control module is built into the Mercedes antenna amplifier.

So... Now I'm thinking about installing an aftermarket alarm system instead of shelling out the ridiculous cost for another MB antenna amplifier. I just need to locate/identify the correct leads for the door locks and dome lights (to trigger alarm if a door is opened). I don't plan to use the aftermarket alarm's ignition disabler, because the car still needs the IR-coded key to start.

Has anyone else gone this route? If so, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to post updates on my progress to hopefully help others dealing with the same conundrum...
​​