C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 Wagon Loaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Acura
C320 Wagon Loaner

So I know that the buyer of a C320 wagon is different than the buyer for the C230 Coupe--a different car, for a different purpose. I have my 230 Coupe in for warranty work, and I've got a 320 wagon loaner. I MISS MY COUPE. Pickup is noticeably slower, and cornering feels very uncertain. I think the wood doesn't even look very good (looks like plastic, though I know it's not.)

When you consider the extra cost of the 320 wagon--it really stresses what a deal the 230K Coupe actually is!
Old 05-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Do tell, what would that difference be?

Perhaps the unit you drove is not broken in yet or has never been driven aggressively.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:56 PM

1995 Acura
Could be. The car does have 5k miles on it, so that's past the break-in. The car has the fairly typical Mercedes characteristic of not being very quick off-the-line, but having ample passing power when at freeway speeds. The torque curve on the coupe is much flatter, which I like.

I also failed to mention that the 320 is (of course) an automatic. I've got every available option except tele-aid and auto in my coupe, and I much prefer the 6 speed. Again, different strokes for different folks, but it's amazing that the price difference is what it is between these 2 cars.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

We have about 5800miles on ours. My wife drives the car about 98.9% of the time. However, as you indicated it does have the momentary lag off the line, but the pick up - at least in our wagon - is very linear. I posted in another thread on this board where an Audi TT and I were about neck and neck from 45-100mph. This happened on the turnpike(<freeway) just after a toll stop. The TT was the 225hp model- which only comes with a six speed manual and of course a turbo. I'm a car guy so I know the difference between the regular TT 180hp and the 225hp version. My car is not modded yet, but the pickup is not the problem I have. It's the handling - the car needs a slight drop and bigger, more aggressive tires - then everything will be okay, according to my wife.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Guys, meet Apples and Oranges...
SF - You're comparing the C320 Wagon to a sports coupe....the wagon is heavier, with a lower power to weight ratio and a longer wheelbase and overhang than the coupe.

Estate - lets face it, you're probably comparing your Mercedes more to your Lexus. While the RX300 is a nice truck, it's certainly not a Benz, and definitely not a sports coupe...

As far as the TT....well, let's just say I test drove a TT, then bought my Benz for a reason
Old 05-24-2002, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Radstand

Originally posted by Rick
Guys, meet Apples and Oranges...
SF - You're comparing the C320 Wagon to a sports coupe....the wagon is heavier, with a lower power to weight ratio and a longer wheelbase and overhang than the coupe.
The C sedan, wagon and Sportcoupé all share the same 2715 mm wheelbase.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Let me provide a bit of clarity for you. SFVideoGuy stated -
Pickup is noticeably slower, and cornering feels very uncertain
My reply is that the wagon is not slow, and that yes, while the wagon has a bit more roll than I would like, this issue will soon be addressed through Eibach or H&R. I've driven the coupe, it's a nice vehicle but I prefer the wagon. Also, the acceleration of the coupes I drove auto and stick were not as fast as my wagon. I came over from the BMW camp so I'm used to spirited handling and acceleration. The only comparison I would make to my Lexus is that they are both wagons. I gave up my modded "00" GTI-VR6, to get into the Lexus. I needed something to get me to and fro without having to worry about CheckEngine lights, flooding, and the unecessary attention of the local constabulary.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:19 AM

C320 Sport Wagon
Talking Different Strokes!

Two entirely different vehicles designed for different market segments. The coupe, sedan and wagon all seem to have met MB's buyer targets. However, as I think all will agree none of the C-Class models are "granny" designs either in appearance or performance. As far as price is concerned, the standard equipment list on the wagon is pretty extensive and is not "free" so the entry MSRP is obviously higher than either the coupe or sedan. In the same vein, the standard equipment E-class V6 adds to the cost but also the value added. Remember the wagon only gives up 45lbs in weight to the C sedan but has in excess of 200 horses producing a pretty flat torque curve. No one disputes the first boot leisurely departure on any MB (less the fire-breathers), but once the power/torque comes in things happen quickly. The "loaner" mentioned in the starting post sounds atypical and appears to need some TLC. This is an entertaining discussion to kill a dull Friday morning, but there is really no issue involved.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320 Bril Slvr,NAV
I too was given a C320 Wagon to drive while my C320 Sedan was in for
service. I immediately noticed the performance seemed poor and then I
saw that the transmission was set in the Winter position. Once I switched
it to Summer things were fine. It may not be quite as quick as my sedan
but was anything but slow.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Thumbs up

Checkmate, the exhaust tips look nice on your wagon. Just what the doctor ordered.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:42 AM

C320 Sport Wagon
Tips

Thanks! I'm very pleased with the quality and the "no brain" installation. Got them from "My Roadster" and was given as nice discount.