C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Two Weird Things I've noticed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
Two Weird Things I've noticed

1. Turn Signals: I noticed that when I use my turn signal without going beyond the resistance point (for example, changing lanes to go onto the left lane), an odd thing happens. When you cancel it out by going back to the middle, the turn signal light on the dashboard shows the opposite direction (in this case the turn signal shows the light going to the right now). And the only way to cancel, is to go beyond the resistance point and back to the middle. Anyone experience this?

2. Defroster: I used my defroster the other day and noticed that when I pushed the defroster button the flow of air went full blast even though my controller that sets the flow of air was off. Is that normal?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:10 AM

when you dont go past the resistance point, just let go of the handle...

itll keep the signal on for like 2-3 more clicks and just follow thru when your switching lanes.. im assuming this is on all mb models.. i have an 05 w203 ss also.. and i get the same thing on my parent's s500.

yes, the full blast is normal on the defroster.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
That's what I do, I let go of the handle and the direction of my turn signal ends up pointing to the opposite direction.

Like if I use my left turn signal and I don't go beyond the resistance point and then let go.... the turn signal light will switch from blinking from the left to blinking to the right.

The only way I noticed to cancel it, is to go beyond the resistance point and then cancel my turn signal.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:25 AM

no idea? take it back to the dealer if its like that.. shouldnt be like that unless your physically moving it back to the middle, not just, letting it go.

the way i do is is ill hold it up then let it go.. itll do the 2-3 blinks.. and then it just stops.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
a video example would help on determining the problem.

but it should be like what chibial said.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by o98eclipse
1. Turn Signals: I noticed that when I use my turn signal without going beyond the resistance point (for example, changing lanes to go onto the left lane), an odd thing happens. When you cancel it out by going back to the middle, the turn signal light on the dashboard shows the opposite direction (in this case the turn signal shows the light going to the right now). And the only way to cancel, is to go beyond the resistance point and back to the middle. Anyone experience this?

2. Defroster: I used my defroster the other day and noticed that when I pushed the defroster button the flow of air went full blast even though my controller that sets the flow of air was off. Is that normal?
1. Definitely strange behavior. I take it as you hold the stalk down, thereby compressing its spring, then let go so the spring overshoots and engages 3 blinks in the opposite direction. Try following the stalk with your fingers when it goes back to the neutral position - as a workaround. Take it to dealer. They should take care of it, but you should be able to consistently reproduce this behavior and show it to them, otherwise they will likely say "it's normal".

P.S. Just checked it on mine and found that no matter how long you hold the stalk down, it should never overshoot (trigger the blinker of the opposite direction) upon return to the neutral position. By all means, take it to the dealer.

2. Perfectly normal. That's how windshield defrosting is done in all cars (at least all Euro cars) - A/C on, full blast on the windshield. This also helps defogging the windshield.

Last edited by vadim; 11-08-2004 at 12:14 AM.