C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Yet another Crank No Start but with a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 500E
Yet another Crank No Start but with a twist

I'm stumped and hoping someone can help shed some light on the problem. A quick background, I experienced a similar condition a few years ago where the car would crank but the fuel rail wouldn't pressurize (as tested at the Schrader valve). I replaced the fuel pump and the car started right up. About a year later, later same thing happened and sure enough the fuel wasn't getting to the rail. This time, I double checked all the connections between the left and right tank units (sending unit siphon pipe and pump delivery pipe) as well as confirming orientation of both units inside the tank. Just to satisfy my paranoia, I made sure the fuel line from the tank to engine was clear and unobstructed. Anyway, after installing a new pump the car started right up and has been running great ever since. Well until a couple of days ago that is, when I got a check engine light and the car began to hesitate intermittently. I checked with Xentry and it turned out to be the right intake solenoid sub-harness. It was not seated properly and was popping out of the connector. This was my fault, I had replaced the intake manifold and likely didn't seat the connector properly before pushing down the locking pin. Car started right up and check engine light was off. Next day I took the car out for a drive and after about 10 minutes on the road the car lost all power. I pulled over to the shoulder and it stalled. Interestingly, though, I restarted the engine and was able to drive it home, some 6-7 miles without any problems. When I got home, I shutoff the engine and waited 30 minutes and tried to start it and it fired right up. Next day I went to start the car, it started and ran for a few seconds and died. After that, it just cranks and does not fire. SDS shows no error codes stored or pending. I do have other codes like, ATA B13(?) not working (because I've disconnected and needs to be changed), the sunroof isn't calibrated code, and my aux coolant circulation pump circuit is open. Other than that, no errors.

The only other thing I can think of is that the first time the car did this and this time, both events occurred when the outside temperature fell below 40 degrees F. Of course, it did it over this past summer too.

I will check the CPS though I had replaced that when diagnosing the problem the first time. Can Xentry test it's operation?

Any ideas?

I've posted this on BW as well.