C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

extended warranty help wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extended warranty help wanted

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I think I have a scenario that wasn't covered before. If any of you guys recall, i had a friend who was looking to get a C used... well he decided to trade in his IS today for a 98 SLK230 ($25K)... he has always wanted one so he decided to go ahead and get it....

the problem is that the car has 38K miles and is almost up on the warranty period (5 yrs) .. the lexus dealership offered him their own warranty (gold package) which came to about 3K!!!! the clincher is that it is for 4 yrs 50K miles...

He has time to back out of the lexus warranty and go with his own. I told him that he should be able to to find one for cheaper than 3K

THe questions I have are:

1. Are extended warranties that expensive (3K)?
2. the car is a 98, will the warranty expire start of 03 (car year)?

TIA

ps. accord please leave this post on here for the weekend. I would like to see peoples responses since the SLK forum doesn't get much traffic. Thanks
Old 05-24-2002, 09:52 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Most consumer magazines trash extended warranties. That being said, a lot depends on the details of the warranty. Many contracts are for TOTAL miles. So, if the used car already has 38k miles, your friend needs to find out if he is paying a $3,000 for a 50k warranty or for a 12k warranty. The prior deal is expensive, the latter is outright bad. So much for my .02 worth.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The warranty is bumper to bumper for an extra 50K miles.. so till 88K he will be under the lex warranty...

Does anyon eknow of places he can purchase warranties on his own since the MB won't happen?
Old 05-24-2002, 10:18 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i bought an extended warranty with a used truck a while back. i was using my credit union for financing, and they set it up for me. it was a while ago, but i believe it was only a powertrain warranty, and i only tried to use it one time, and it wasn't worth beans. have your friend check the details very closely. the extended warranties i have seen in the past usually tell you what is covered. while this is nice, it would be even more helpful it they told you what WASN'T covered.
this may be a little off topic, but does he really need an extended warranty? has he done a carfax report on the vehicle? and is it possible to get the car starmark certified. there may be as much peace of mind had knowing the history of the car as having the warranty. is it possible to verify the service records with the mb dealer he is going to use for service. and if he is buying from a dealer why not get one from a mb dealer instead?