C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Are you having problems with your C, join the club!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Re: Sad, but true

Originally posted by Mark08859

Unfortunately, Jim is correct. The plus side of a forum such as this is that you're aware of potential problems and can be aware of them. The negative side of a forum such as this is that you're aware of potential problems and constantly in a state of paranoia thinking you car is next.
Unfortunately it appears pretty clear that MB has more than its fair share.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Unfortunately it appears pretty clear that MB has more than its fair share.
"Fair share"? Sure. "More than its fair share"? Not.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:19 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Jim Banville

"Fair share"? Sure. "More than its fair share"? Not.
These cars, esp. the Hatches, have certainly appeared to have more than their fair share of problems. At least it seems that way to me - as an active participant on various MB, BMW, Lexus and Porsche boards - and as an owner myself.

The serious problems chronicled here far outweigh anything I've EVER seen in 8 years of Internet car forums. The numerous lemon law claims, cars dying on the highway, electronic problems, countless days spent out of service at the dealer, starting problems, rough running problems, etc. have really been quite astounding.

I do believe the problems are also reflected in MBs skyrocketing warranty repair numbers and costs in the past few years - read about it in the WSJ.

People can hide their heads in the sand and try to belive that MBs are reliable cars - but that simply has not been true as of recently. The reliability and quality control has simply been pretty poor.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
I agree. My C240 has had many problems. The dealer dealt with each one but it's not what I have been expecting from MB.

The worst was a "no power" situation which was fixed by replacing the o2 sensor at my insistance. None was to be had for a few days so I insisted one be taken off one of the new cars so they can wait for a new part and not me. It worked.

My last C230 needed a new tranny in the first 2 weeks, it leaked all over my garage floor.

Will I buy another some day? Hmmmm

My new Miata has had "0" problems.

On the other hand my friend with a new BMW 325 , nothing but problems. Something about casting issues and a rash of "porous heads", white smoke everywhere. Replaced the head, 2 weeks wait.

..jack

Last edited by Pit-Pony; 05-28-2002 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I hate to add to the chorus (OK, I was already in it), but...

I think part of the problem is some of the dealerships also. You know, there is clearly something wrong with my car and two dealerships have not been able to problem solve it. It's odd to me to be honest. There is something wrong with the seatbelt. The seatbelt piece has been replaced four times, so the problem must be somewhere else. How many other places could it be? Just fix it. Am I missing something?

I think other people who are close to lemoning their car have been back a number of times for the same problem. How hard are these problems? I would think this is not rocket science?

But of course, this is just MHO.

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 05-28-2002 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a double edge sword. If MB can't make reliable cars the responsibility falls on the dealer and they can't hire & train people fast enough to keep up with these troublesome cars and meet customer expectations. So it's hit or miss on getting an competent mechanic. It could be that the coupe gets more lemon law claims because of it's standing at the dealer. It could be that the better mechanics get to work on the better cars.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:07 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Re: question??

Originally posted by FrankW

besides...don't ever expect a under $30k MB in its first year of production to run without any problems. i would only complain if i have a S-class or CL-class with a lot of problems.
Well, then MB should advertise the C coupe with fine prints list that

"You are buying the cheapest car in our line up, so don't expect the same from the S or CL class. On top of that, it's out first year in production and we are glad to have you spend your money and beta test our cars for us." and see if they are getting any customer.

Last edited by pixmation; 05-28-2002 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pixmation, did you ever get your car back? Are you close to finalizing your replacement car (or refund) with MB? Did MBLN take their loaner back?
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Pixmation, did you ever get your car back? Are you close to finalizing your replacement car (or refund) with MB? Did MBLN take their loaner back?
My car is still in the shop since March 11th. It's supposed to be fixed last Friday but they forgot to repaint (paint chips) the edge near the passenger door due to a misalignment of the door. So they are keeping it for another week. Should have it back end of this week or early next week.

At first, the service rep offered me a touch up paint and I said no because touch up paint never looks the same. Besides, the paint chips are caused by the misalignment of the door.

I have already contacted a lawyer and he is filing the suit on my behalf. MBUSA told my lawyer that they are willing to replace the car but won't pay the lawyer fee. I am not about to pay the $3000 fee out of my own pocket.

I had a brief conversation with the MB retail manager, don't know if he is from MBUSA or MBLN. He said that with a lawyer involved, this is going to drag on longer and it's going to be unpleasant.

P.S. it has been so long without my car, sometimes I forgot that I have a C230k... BTW, I am still driving the loaner.

Last edited by pixmation; 05-28-2002 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is just yanking your chain to get you to settle cheap. It's totally their fault you had to use a lawyer and if they don't like it then tell them to get an arbitration program like other manufacturers. Tell them that in CA you are not only entitled to lawyer fees but also twice the value of your car if it goes to trial. Tell them the more entrenched they get the more entrenched you'll get and it doesn't cost you anthing, it costs them bad press, lawyer fees for both sides to go to trial, a car with a lemon law title and when you get your car back you can rack some abusive miles on and they still have to take it back, it's their choice. Think about it, if it takes a year you can drive your car for a year and when you win they get a car that's been driven for a year vs. a brand new one for the same settlement. I don't smoke but when I returned my car to Infiniti I got a bunch of guys with large cigars add a little character to the car. I just couldn't return it with the new car smell.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:43 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
MB is just yanking your chain to get you to settle cheap........

I don't smoke but when I returned my car to Infiniti I got a bunch of guys with large cigars add a little character to the car. I just couldn't return it with the new car smell.
I assume that the MB people are just following a "how to deal with customers with lemons protocol right now" so I won't take it personally.

ROTFLOL: you are such a character.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:59 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Re: Re: question??

Originally posted by pixmation

"You are buying the cheapest car in our line up, so don't expect the same from the S or CL class. On top of that, it's out first year in production and we are glad to have you spend your money and beta test our cars for us." and see if they are getting any customer.
I can't agree with this argument. Yes it is their cheapest (least expensive?) vehicle. However, price is no excuse for poor quality. Not when someone can buy a $16,000 Corolla that will be rock solid. MB has to get back on their quality control horse ASAP.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
All cars have problems and I hope those of you who truly have manufacturer lemons, obtain adequate compensation.

Some problems are caused by incompetent mechanics and others by service advisors who ignore their customers. Those are dealer problems. And I know some dealers, especially at higher levels. can be a-holes.Bring this to the attention of MB.

It's difficult not to be paranoid, but don't go looking for problems. Find someone at the dealer who is knowledgeable, ask your salesguy for someone who is a fanatic at the dealer about the cars. Discuss it on this forum.

I don't want to say, call the Waaambulance, but for the rest of us, let's read the manual and help the ones with crappy dealers to find better dealers and better service advisors.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:36 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Re: Re: Re: question??

Originally posted by Mark08859

I can't agree with this argument. Yes it is their cheapest (least expensive?) vehicle. However, price is no excuse for poor quality. Not when someone can buy a $16,000 Corolla that will be rock solid. MB has to get back on their quality control horse ASAP.
I was countering someone's previous message. It's not really what I meant.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: question??

I would laugh my *** off if I saw this on the commercial.. atleast there is no false advertising
Old 06-03-2002, 01:27 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
MB is just yanking your chain to get you to settle cheap. It's totally their fault you had to use a lawyer and if they don't like it then tell them to get an arbitration program like other manufacturers. Tell them that in CA you are not only entitled to lawyer fees but also twice the value of your car if it goes to trial. Tell them the more entrenched they get the more entrenched you'll get and it doesn't cost you anthing, it costs them bad press, lawyer fees for both sides to go to trial, a car with a lemon law title and when you get your car back you can rack some abusive miles on and they still have to take it back, it's their choice. Think about it, if it takes a year you can drive your car for a year and when you win they get a car that's been driven for a year vs. a brand new one for the same settlement. I don't smoke but when I returned my car to Infiniti I got a bunch of guys with large cigars add a little character to the car. I just couldn't return it with the new car smell.

I took the car back this morning because of the cracked wind shield and other unfixed problems. Then I got a call from my lawyer, MBUSA had a conversation with him and offered only to pay part of the legal fee and I pay the rest of the fee. I rejected that offer and I do not want to pay any fee out of my own pocket.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I took the car back this morning because of the cracked wind shield and other unfixed problems. Then I got a call from my lawyer, MBUSA had a conversation with him and offered only to pay part of the legal fee and I pay the rest of the fee. I rejected that offer and I do not want to pay any fee out of my own pocket.
What do you think is going to happen. Do you think MB will give in? I would think so, Bill McGee is so good.

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 06-03-2002 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:08 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Originally posted by galaxygrrl

What do you think is going to happen. Do you think MB will give in? I would think so, Bill McGee is so good.

Beth
I think MB is just following a negotiation protocol to reduce their cost. As long as I am rejecting any offer that cost me money, eventually MB will give in, maybe it will drag longer. Then it also up to McGee, if he wants his full legal fee and put in more work and time to it. Or reducing his fee just to accept what MB offer since I am not going to pay.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think MB is just following a negotiation protocol to reduce their cost. As long as I am rejecting any offer that cost me money, eventually MB will give in, maybe it will drag longer. Then it also up to McGee, if he wants his full legal fee and put in more work and time to it. Or reducing his fee just to accept what MB offer since I am not going to pay.
That seems reasonable. Keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:23 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Thumbs up

Continue to fight the good fight. Remind your dealer that if you'd been treated properly in the first place, they wouldn't be going through this hassle. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2002, 03:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

pixmation:

what cause the cracked windshield? and what are those other unfixed problems?...if would help if you can list them so ppl can see if they have the same problems.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:58 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
The main one that is not fixed is:

the passenger door is not aligned perfectly, there is a tiny step when you run your fingers cross the outside surfaces of the door surface and the body panel (the rear, not the front fender). It's the at bottom of the door (below the plastic strip). So when the door is closed, the door panel is sink deeper than the body panel. That creates an edge and catches the wind and whatever debris from the road and chips the paint over time.

Attached image was taken when I first discover the paint chips, that was after a road trip of driving 614 miles (speed anywhere between 50-100 mph) on highway.

Last edited by pixmation; 06-03-2002 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:05 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
I have no idea what caused the windshield cracks. There is no sign of impact or glass chip of the surface. It still feels perfectly smooth on the surface when I run my finger over the crack, the service rep did that too.

I got the car back Thursday afternoon, drove home (60 miles), to work next day (7 miles), parked all day, left work and saw the crack on my way home.

The other is minor, I left the cassette tape in the player when I dropped off the car for service back in March 11th, when I picked up the car and want to change the cassette, it's just stuck there.

last is the dash board. There is a small gap between the bottom of the driver side A piller and the dash board. It's just they didn't put it back in nicely since I was told that the car was completely taken apart for the SRS problem. Once I stopped by trying to get some of my stuff back and the assistant went to the car and try to locate my stuff. He came back and told he couldn't find them because there was no dashboard, no seats, no glove compartment in the car.

P.S. Bought the car on Dec 22nd 2001, own it for around 172 days, it has been in the shop around 94 days not including this time.

Last edited by pixmation; 06-03-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i feel your pain man.. my car is at the dealership as well..and pretty sure for the last damn time.. they better fix it or i'm so through.. this is the 4th time for the same prob...
Old 06-04-2002, 02:35 PM

C230K
When, O when, will you guys learn?

Trade the POS and get a Volvo.

So far, we've had ours 2 months and no problems. After 2 months our C230K had been back to the dealer 3 times.....

CHeers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you having problems with your C, join the club!